Thread: Noob Success!!! Now running the KatKiss Marshmallow 6.0.1 ROM

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

Noob Success!!! Now running the KatKiss Marshmallow 6.0.1 ROM

Many thanks to DroidBound and KevinTheFixer for their guides and Guidance.

The tools (TWRP and adb) are pretty slick, and having multiple ROMs in place to play with seems like it can grow to be a massive time-sink for someone like me who is, at best, a dilletante when it comes to development . . ..

Also, the GApps Downloader, where you pick your processor, android version, and variant (all, some, or minimum) is VERY slick. I did pico, as directed . . . looking forward to downloading everything that I need . . . but also not having the clutter of all the crap I don't.

I think DroidBound mentioned a tool called A1 that got him the read and write speeds for the internal SD card and his micro SD. Is that something I grab from the play store? (I haven't even logged into the asus yet, just got the ROM started and have the initial spash/swipe screen . . . .) Or is it part of some developer bundle that I need to hit something 7 times while standing on one foot to get access to?

I formatted /data as f2fs per the ROM's instructions. So no going back to stock . . . .

oooh . . . forgot to do another nandroid backup of the new rom . . .doing that now .. .

Also, saw a reference to /data2sd . . . I assume that moves the /data over to the MicroSD card, which may have better performance than the internal SD?

Again, thanks to all the many people who make it possible for a dilletante like me to upgrade his Asus to the latest Android so I won't have to mess with it for another 3 years .. . .

You all rock . . .

Thanks Again,

Doug

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Yes, remember the Nandroid backups. Do this regularly, and always just before a major change (software installation, etc). Makes undoing the change easy.

You can go back to stock anytime you want, just format /data back to ext4 and either restore your Nandroid or reinstall the stock firmware. Reinstalling stock will give you back the stock recovery, but you'll still be unlocked and can easily flash TWRP again.

You assume correctly regarding data2sd. Do your homework before you decide to mess around with it, and be advised that it requires a really good, fast microSD, a Samsung Evo or equivalent. If you paid less than a buck a gig it isn't good enough.

You tap "build #" seven times to open the Developer Options. Do that, and make sure "USB Debugging" is checked. It is by default in most custom ROMs but make sure. There are other goodies in there you might want to play with too, try "forced GPU rendering".
    LetMeKnow likes this.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by madmac63 View Post
    Many thanks to DroidBound and KevinTheFixer for their guides and Guidance.
    You're welcome and congrats!!

... seems like it can grow to be a massive time-sink for someone
    You have no idea! Yet...
    I probably could have finished a couple of degrees during the time I spent on these forums....

I think DroidBound mentioned a tool called A1 that got him the read and write speeds for the internal SD card and his micro SD. Is that something I grab from the play store? (I haven't even logged into the asus yet, just got the ROM started and have the initial spash/swipe screen . . . .) Or is it part of some developer bundle that I need to hit something 7 times while standing on one foot to get access to?
    A1 SD Bench - grab it from Play

I formatted /data as f2fs per the ROM's instructions. So no going back to stock . . . .
    Why not? You're free as a bird now, buddy! Just format back to ext4 and flash it. Or try this if you miss the Asus feel. It supports f2fs: CROMi-X 5.4 RESURRECTED [JB 4.2] [TWEAKS BY … | Asus Transformer TF700
    Although I have to admit: KatKiss is one polished piece of beauty. I flash to CROMi-X intermittently to solve problems but.....

Also, saw a reference to /data2sd . . . I assume that moves the /data over to the MicroSD card, which may have better performance than the internal SD?
    Exactly. Did wonders on JB, was helpful on KK, does not bring any improvement on LP roms - as a matter of fact, they don't seem to like it all. KatKernel does not support it and don't see a reason why it should...

Again, thanks to all the many people who make it possible for a dilletante like me to upgrade his Asus to the latest Android so I won't have to mess with it for another 3 years .. . .

You all rock . . .

Thanks Again,

Doug
    Again, you're welcome. We love happy customers

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    80 times
    Oh I wanna do this soooo badly (KatKiss MM) but I'm such a noob I fear I'll make a paperweight of my TF700T.

I am unlocked and rooted SuperSu V2.65 but I fear any further doings without a K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple i'm Stoopid) type guide.
    I'm on Windows 10, but have Win 7 on another hard drive I can boot up on (I use a trayless drive bay)
    Not Your Father's Stock TF700T - KatKiss Is ON!
    Thanks to timduru - droidbound - kevinthefixer!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by flhthemi View Post
    Oh I wanna do this soooo badly (KatKiss MM) but I'm such a noob I fear I'll make a paperweight of my TF700T.

I am unlocked and rooted SuperSu V2.65 but I fear any further doings without a K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple i'm Stoopid) type guide.
    I'm on Windows 10, but have Win 7 on another hard drive I can boot up on (I use a trayless drive bay)
    You gotta change your signature buddy, since unlocked you are now!

Did you check out my Beginner's guide? Link below in my sig. It doesn't get much more KISS than that!

Check off these items:
    Working adb and fastboot connection to the tab
    10.6.1.14.10 bootloader
    TWRP 2.8.7.x (I still recommend the Kang version, link in my guide)
    Bingo.

The rest is a piece of cake. Get to Bingo and we'll talk you through the rest.

Developer
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinthefixer View Post
    You assume correctly regarding data2sd. Do your homework before you decide to mess around with it, and be advised that it requires a really good, fast microSD, a Samsung Evo or equivalent. If you paid less than a buck a gig it isn't good enough.
    I have to agree with you on your statement above. I still believed that data2sd is still faster than the internal SD if you have the faster external SD. I am currently using Samsung XC I that I bought about two years ago for data2sd and it is still using data2sd as a main driver and internal SD as a test setup for new development...

There is an additional benefit that I have never seen anyone mentioning about it is to gain access to the corrupted /data partition to pull important data from the external SD with a running system from external SD. I use that technique to fix the alternative /data partition a few times while I was in trouble... I am thinking that we should have the data2sd booted file in the system even you are not using data2sd to have an alternative method to fix users' devices, just a thought...

Cheers,
    LMK

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    80 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    You gotta change your signature buddy, since unlocked you are now!

Did you check out my Beginner's guide? Link below in my sig. It doesn't get much more KISS than that!

Check off these items:
    Working adb and fastboot connection to the tab
    10.6.1.14.10 bootloader
    TWRP 2.8.7.x (I still recommend the Kang version, link in my guide)
    Bingo.

The rest is a piece of cake. Get to Bingo and we'll talk you through the rest.
    1st step complete - Signature edited

I think I have ADB installed on a win 7 drive can boot it and do everything from there
    Fastboot is an apk or a mode to boot into from Power on and vol down? (see what a n00b!)
    TF700 does have 10.6.1.14.10 bootloader
    I did read your Beginners Guide....I checked out that link to Kang version but it appears to be an Image (.IMG) file. Is that something that TWRP installs? If so I can install TWRP from playstore?

If you want to avoid the mess of helping me I can start a new thread or we can PM or email if you want?

Main thing is for me to totally understand what i'm going to be doing and how it will be done. Once I'm there I'm pretty sure I can do it. OFS (Old Fart Syndrome) is a tuff thing to deal with, sure you can handle it?
    Last edited by flhthemi; 04-03-2016 at 06:23 PM.
    Not Your Father's Stock TF700T - KatKiss Is ON!
    Thanks to timduru - droidbound - kevinthefixer!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    OFS is something that several of us are experts on. In my neck of the woods (far southern AZ) we call it Green Valley syndrome; GV is a retirement community here.

I think you should re-read @DB's Guide. Fastboot, like ADB, is a protocol for transferring data back and forth from PC to tablet. So you need Fastboot installed on your PC, and you need the tablet to be in fastboot mode, that is, on the bootloader screen with the 3 icons showing. Then per the Guide you open a DOS window and issue the appropriate fastboot commands; I'll not repeat them here because @DB did such an excellent job of writing the Guide in the first place. And yes, you need to fastboot flash the .img file he linked to, that is how you install TWRP, it cannot be installed from Play Store.

BTW glad to hear you finally got here!
    Last edited by Kevinthefixer; 04-03-2016 at 07:47 PM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LetMeKnow View Post
    I am thinking that we should have the data2sd booted file in the system even you are not using data2sd to have an alternative method to fix users' devices, just a thought...

Cheers,
    LMK
    Isn't hat like wearing a belt and suspenders at the same time?
    If you can boot into Android, you can usually boot into recovery. What can you do from a data2sd booted system you can't do in recovery?

Quote Originally Posted by flhthemi View Post
    I checked out that link to Kang version but it appears to be an Image (.IMG) file. Is that something that TWRP installs? If so I can install TWRP from playstore?
    Ah! That's a tiny bit of confusion DeesTroy introduced with TWRP 2.8.?.... The file has an .img extension but is still a blob. There's a good reason for that and at one time I knew why. But OFS goes hand in hand with CRS (can't remember sss....omething), so your out of luck here. Just trust me on this: You flash the img just the same as a blob. So your fastboot command is: fastboot flash recovery twrp.img. Fastboot does not care, the tablet does not care and I don't either :0

If you want to avoid the mess of helping me I can start a new thread or we can PM or email if you want?
    Naaa - there's no mess and I'm very comfortable right here. And if we go PM how is everyone else supposed to learn from your mistakes???

Main thing is for me to totally understand what i'm going to be doing and how it will be done. Once I'm there I'm pretty sure I can do it.
    There you go. One more tablet saved

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinthefixer View Post
    In my neck of the woods (far southern AZ) we call it Green Valley syndrome; GV is a retirement community here.
    That's where you are hiding!! I pictured you deep in the woods of Maine or Pennsylvania or something! Tuscon and environs right? Love the desert but glad I don't live there all the time

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    What is wrong with belt and suspenders?

I'm SW of Tucson, in a very quiet wildcat development where you can't subdivide and cram in high-density housing. For me, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks (poor utility service being the worst). If I can't see the Milky Way at night it's cloudy, not smoggy. I can stand out in my yard and hear my frig running in the kitchen, and the neighbor high-school hotrodder a mile off trying to blow the glass out of his cherry bombs. Friday morning as I was turning on to the main road I had a Mexican standoff with a yearling doe mule deer, neither of us wanted to be the first to move. Of course I didn't have a camera handy..

To get back on topic, the tool used to repack TWRP sets a .img extension by default, and @lj50036 claims to be too lazy to change it. If that's all it takes to make you happy you can change it yourself, or leave it off entirely; as you say nobody and nothing will care.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links