Thread: Noob Success!!! Now running the KatKiss Marshmallow 6.0.1 ROM

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Looks golden. You understand the process and that's what counts.
    To answer some questions:
    You only flash twrp.img in fastboot. So that is the only file you need to have in the fastboot directory.
    The rest is flashed in recovery, so you need to have it on the shiny new microSD.
    I think the menus are a little different in TWRP than you guys stated up there, but you'll know what to do when you get there.
    I think it is now: Wipe > Advanced and then you'll see a Format Data button.
    Do that first and yes, it takes 1 hour +.
    Formatting cache is not really necessary IMHO since it gets wiped during rom installation, but it doesn't hurt either.
    Now, did you download the gapps and Supersu through the links in Tim's rom thread?
    Marshmallow is very picky about which combo works or doesn't. Best go with what the master provided.
    Alright, you're all set! Now quit procrastinating and go at it!
    So what if you brick it? You don't like the tab anyway! Look at it as relieving it from it's misery. An act of mercy. Either it wakes up reborn or it may slumber in heavenly peace forever! I

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    80 times
    Would hate to loose it as it's been used lately as a weather station but if MM makes it to it, I might be regaining what I've paid for and loosing the weather station anyway

Now, did you download the gapps and SuperSU through the links in Tim's rom thread?

Yes the MM 6 thread at XDA

Clear some more confusion for me from that thread:

F2FS: The included kernel will AutoDetect if partitions are f2fs or ext4 (so you do not need to flash a separate F2FS kernel)

Does this mean I don't have to bother with the f2fs conversion?

The PC I'm doing all this from is a P4 Asus P5GPL mainboard....it's being replaced today (expecting a FEDEX delivery any moment)...
    I use trayless drive bays on all my desktops. So I may have to move adb install to another Win 7 drive on a different PC (not the new one) and once it's confirmed working I'll have at the TF700. Got a lot on the table here today too so I might HAVE to procrastinate but only because of time constraints.

I would like to say THANK YOU ALL for the help and guidance! No way I would have been able to get this far without it!
    Not Your Father's Stock TF700T - KatKiss Is ON!
    Thanks to timduru - droidbound - kevinthefixer!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    You don't HAVE to do the f2fs conversion, but I would highly recommend it. This tablet can use all the help it can get. Not only is f2fs faster on read/write, but also better in performance over time because it handles garbage collection better than ext4. Do it. That part only takes a couple of minutes.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    80 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    You don't HAVE to do the f2fs conversion, but I would highly recommend it. This tablet can use all the help it can get. Not only is f2fs faster on read/write, but also better in performance over time because it handles garbage collection better than ext4. Do it. That part only takes a couple of minutes.
    OK just making sure. I will do the f2fs formatting.

New PC got here so I've been setting it up all afternoon and had to stop so I could do some "honey do's" for the wife. I HOPE to update the 700 tomorrow....chomping at the bit to get to this task.

Sooooo...thanks so much again!

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Maybe I got here a bit late, but I would recommend you go ahead and flash TWRP with the old PC. You know it works, and with any sort of luck you won't need to flash TWRP from fastboot again; usually there are .zips available that you can flash from the old TWRP when they update.

What @timduru meant is that unlike some ROMs that require you to flash a separate kernel to use a /data partition formatted f2fs, his kernel will work with either f2fs or ext4 with no further fuss on your part. AFAIK it still needs /system and /cache as ext4 so don't mess with those.

Still don't have my 700 handy but on my 300 with TWRP 2.8.7.2 Kang, it's Home>Wipe>Format Data. Then from there you can go to Advanced Wipe, select Cache only (no need to wipe Data again, you just formatted it) and swipe to wipe. As @DB said, wiping Cache is not really necessary, I just hope that it does the same thorough check that it does when formatting Data. Anyway on that screen is also the Repair or Change File System button, so you would select ONLY Data then Repair or Change FS, you will be given the options in the next screen. I'd print out DB's Guide that I linked to earlier and have it in front of me while doing this the first time, it doesn't cost much. Then back to flashing your new ROM.

And if you brick it, you have fastboot access now so you still have a 90% or better chance of pulling it out. So take some Dramamine and get to it!
    flhthemi likes this.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    80 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinthefixer View Post
    Maybe I got here a bit late, but I would recommend you go ahead and flash TWRP with the old PC. You know it works, and with any sort of luck you won't need to flash TWRP from fastboot again; usually there are .zips available that you can flash from the old TWRP when they update.

What @timduru meant is that unlike some ROMs that require you to flash a separate kernel to use a /data partition formatted f2fs, his kernel will work with either f2fs or ext4 with no further fuss on your part. AFAIK it still needs /system and /cache as ext4 so don't mess with those.

Still don't have my 700 handy but on my 300 with TWRP 2.8.7.2 Kang, it's Home>Wipe>Format Data. Then from there you can go to Advanced Wipe, select Cache only (no need to wipe Data again, you just formatted it) and swipe to wipe. As @DB said, wiping Cache is not really necessary, I just hope that it does the same thorough check that it does when formatting Data. Anyway on that screen is also the Repair or Change File System button, so you would select ONLY Data then Repair or Change FS, you will be given the options in the next screen. I'd print out DB's Guide that I linked to earlier and have it in front of me while doing this the first time, it doesn't cost much. Then back to flashing your new ROM.

And if you brick it, you have fastboot access now so you still have a 90% or better chance of pulling it out. So take some Dramamine and get to it!
    Too late for the old PC. Gave it a funeral this morning. Ah she was a good ol' girl. Just before I laid her to rest I installed ADB on the other box with Win 7 and tested the connection to the 700 and I'm good to go and will still have a box with ADB after flashing in case I need it again.

Hands down it looks like f2fs is the way to go so I will do that!

All out of Dramamine but have plenty of Bud Light, that'll do the trick for me!

Problem round here here is every time I talk about flashing, the wife thinks I'm about to get naked
    Last edited by flhthemi; 04-06-2016 at 10:21 AM.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    80 times
    Ok started the process and it's presently formatting data. I turned off the screen timeout....but I thought it might save a little battery, so I tapped the power button. It locked with Swipe To Unlock and a dimmed screen...but when I swipe it, it won't take the swipe and unlock. I hope this doesn't affect the format but I guess I'll find out in about another 50 minutes or so....

EDIT: It unlocked while still formatting /data! Whew!

Also wondered if I still need USB connected to PC right now....thought I could possibly move it over to the charger at some point???

/data formatted
    /cache formatted
    /data converted to f2fs

ready for install of ROM...it appears I can select zip signature verification and select the SuperSU and Gapps zips as well and flas them all. Can I do that? or should it be one-at-a-time?

EDIT: going for one at a time...ROM is taking some time to flash....

ROM Done
    Flashing SuperSU Done
    Flashing GApps Done

Rebooting into new MM ROM - I hope...

Looking good at the moment!

20160406_155457.jpg

Houston! We have a WINNER!

1 booted.jpg

OK it's all setup! Thanks for all the excellent help! You guys got me through this with flying colors!

Bigtime thanks to kevinthefixer and droidbound!

Can I now allow MM to use the shiny new sdcard for internal memory, it will delete the zips I put there for flashing. I have backed them and the nandroid up to my NAS.

Google Play wants to update SuperSu is that a No NO?

I'm guessing a launcher like Apex or Nova will work if they have been updated for MM?

Man...it seems at first glance it's much better than it was on JB! Very snappy.

Also need to know how to do updates to the ROM when they arrive...

I am finally happy with my TF700 thanks to you guys and timduru!!

HOT DAMN!
    Last edited by flhthemi; 04-06-2016 at 03:08 PM.

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    I would turn off Google Play updates, just have it notify you. It's OK to update SuperSU if you want, but not necessary as long as it still works right. There isn't much to gain by using data2sd at this point, I just use the SD for mass storage and to keep a couple Nandroids handy. Go ahead and try Apex and/or Nova, just shoot a Nandroid first, you can always go back to that now. It's a whole new way of thinking; you are now allowed to trash your system, it only takes a few minutes to restore your last Nandroid. When timduru puts out an update, he usually indicates whether you just need to flash the new version over the old one (a "dirty flash") or whether a clean flash like you just did is required. In any case if you have problems with a dirty flash just start over with a clean one.

About time you were happy with the 700! Congrats and enjoy.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Good deal, man!
    First try, bulls eye!
    Now, you have to try the multi window feature! Very cool!
    I have no idea for what to use it, but still very cool!

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    80 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    Good deal, man!
    First try, bulls eye!
    Now, you have to try the multi window feature! Very cool!
    I have no idea for what to use it, but still very cool!
    I'm so handsome I could use it to look at two pictures of myself at the same time! Maybe even 4!

@kevinthefixer first tihing I did was turn off google updates. Never have let that pesky apk auto update any devices I have. I check manual at startup.

I'll use the sdcard as mass storage. Forgot it was data2sd. I didn't like that when I tried it a while back.

Boy oh boy, all I can say is thanks and I can't say it enough!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links