Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kevinthefixer

Thread: Official TWRP vs. Kang TWRP and which ROM?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

Official TWRP vs. Kang TWRP and which ROM?

OK, one of the ROMs I was looking at said:

Use the official TWRP 2.8.4 or the lj50036's Kang version from here: [RECOVERY] KANG TWRP TF700T 2.8.x.x@AREA51 J… | Asus Transformer TF700 | XDA Forums

What's the difference?

And if the xdadevelopers page for the ROM I'm looking at (KatKiss-6.0_TF700T_016.zip) mentions

"Install a F2FS compatible TWRP Recovery (KANG TWRP recommended)"

do I just download that .img file and use fastboot to install it? Will it just install over the regular TWRP? so that i can follow the rest of the directions for installing that ROM?

Any7 idea what TWRP and KANG stand for? These eTLAs are unfamiliar to me . . .

BTW ... DroidBound was extolling the virtues of CROMBi-X Resurrected, as well as some OMNI-L ... . so which ROM should i select? I am going to use my tablet to control the SmartHome line of security and home automation products, including lighting, and I want a recent version of Android in case the SmartHome App developers do something that cuts off support for older JellyBean devices in the current version of the their app. Being current in their app is the #1 priority for as long as possible . . . streaming video is 2nd . . .

TIA

Doug

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    I recommend LJ's Kang version. AFAIK nobody has found any bugs in his stuff, and unfortunately the "official" versions have been buggy lately.

You can Google Kang if you want, it means something like sister or twin. Here it means a custom tweaked version, in this case of Team Win Recovery Project, one of the two main custom recoveries for Android machines. The other one is CWM or ClockWork Mod, which I find far more limited than TWRP. It is however available for a much wider range of devices and still beats the pants off any stock recovery I know of.

As long as you are unlocked, yes you simply use fastboot to install the Kang TWRP over the regular TWRP. If you're still locked you don't have TWRP, you still have the stock recovery. There is also a flashable .zip version that you can flash with your existing TWRP.

I'll give you my stock answer to the "Which ROM" question: try them and see! Once your tablet is unlocked and has a custom recovery, changing ROMs is a matter of minutes. Well, an hour or two for the first installation, then once you have a backup made just minutes to change back and forth. All the ROMs you mentioned are quite good; but if you want to avoid Jellybean that rules out CROMBi-X and the stock ROM. The KatKiss you mentioned is MarshMallow, AFAIK Omni and Zombi are both still Lollipop. There are KitKat ROMs out there for the 700 also, but none I'd recommend. But I confess to a prejudice against KK. Any of these should have no problems streaming video assuming a good fast internet connection, I can't say about SmartHome.
    Swipe and littlefox3 like this.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Kevin answered your question about the recovery.
    Reg ROM I devide them roughly in "based on Asus stock" and others.
    Of the former Cromi-X is the best but it's JB.
    If the latter Katkiss is the best and only one still actively developed.
    Seems like an easy choice to meif you want a recent ROM.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinthefixer View Post
    I recommend LJ's Kang version. AFAIK nobody has found any bugs in his stuff, and unfortunately the "official" versions have been buggy lately.
    More than a month ago I used TWRP 3.0.0.0 and installed KatKiss MarshMallow (zip 22) without any problems on my JB TF700T. It has run flawlessly without a single hiccup. Likewise, TWRP 3.0.0.0 has also worked flawlessly. However, since many more experienced users are recommending Kang Version of TWRP, should I install Kang TWRP version or keep the "official" TWRP I have?

As long as you are unlocked, yes you simply use fastboot to install the Kang TWRP over the regular TWRP. ....... There is also a flashable .zip version that you can flash with your existing TWRP.
    If I should use the Kang version, can I flash it using the "official" TWRP 3.0.0.0 version, or should I just start over from the beginning?

Obviously, I am a tablet novice (but not necessarily a computer novice). I followed droidbound's guide religiously, and thus had no problems unlocking, installing TWRP, making recovery noids, and going from JB to MM.

I use the tablet for field work (coroner investigations) then transfer the files to my PC's. In other words, I use the TF700 for work as opposed to video, music, games, or geeky experiments. Thus I'd rather not start from the beginning again, but will if you think it is the wisest approach.

Or can I wait to see if TWRP 3.0.0.0 fails, then install Kang's version (via fastboot), then install my recovery noids, which are copied to several other sources (dock SD card, PC drives, USB external drives)? Or worse case scenario... if TWRP 3.0.0.0 fails, will I be unable to install (via fastboot) Kang's version?

Sorry to semi-hijack this thread, but my questions seem related (close enough)...

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    If it ain't broke....
    Keep what you have, I'm not aware of specific bugs in 3.0

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks for the reply and advice...

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Yeah I'm with DB on this one. When last I checked, the "official" page for TWRP3 stressed very strongly that it was in beta and to expect problems as they hadn't had a major release in a while. But those problems haven't seemed to show up. If you've been using it for a month and it hasn't failed it isn't likely to. If it does you still have fastboot to flash the Kang version, or an updated 3.something when it comes out.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks for the advice.