Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Sometimes too polite.... But....

@tonihb, you do not have to be a dev to participate in xda. Or here, or any other forum I know of. If Android ROMs are to be for all types of people, the forums need to be also.
    Last edited by Kevinthefixer; 12-19-2015 at 04:16 PM.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tonihb View Post
    @DB I don't know yet if they accepted my request at XDA. I have to check my email - I have six. Avoided
    it all for weeks. Primarily, I'm not a dev. I worry that the caliber of my input would not be appropriate to the forum.
    99% of members on XDA are no devs. Neither am I. You don't have to be a member to follow the threads and if you are a member you don't have to post. But the wealth of knowledge shared on XDA is just astounding. 3 years ago I knew less than you do now about customizing Android. Most of what I do know now (little as it is) I learned over there.
    Just start posting in the Q&A and General section to get your post count up and in no time you'll be able to post in Development. It really doesn't take that much to become a "senior" member. Your posts don't have to be steeped in wisdom and knowledge either. "great thread", "thanks for the info", "have a nice day" count just as much as posting a write-up on changes to SELinux enforcing encryption on the new Nexus devices.....
    But if you just want to lurk, that's fine too.

Don't worry, you can post questions or problems with CROMi-X Resurrected here just as well. We'll be around to answer them...
    I just don't have the time to support two full blown rom threads with updates to the OP etc...
    But I will keep this updated as far as posting if and when there are changes, new versions, anniversaries....
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    XDA - where ascerbic insults grow like Japanese knotweed...

Much nicer here - we're polite...
    Whereas I do agree that the atmosphere is far cozier here (love that fireplace and the holiday deco you put up in the admin lounge, btw... and who brought those cookies?) it's really not that bad over there. I am - or have been - active in 4 device threads on XDA, and I rarely encounter rudeness.
    Yes, people who ask questions that have been asked 100x over (lazy sobs) do get pointed to the search function in no uncertain terms. But be honest: Don't you sometimes wish you could just rib into that dufus who just opened the 62nd thread on battery questions for the T100???
    If somebody is misbehaving I just picture them as some 16 years old, acne riddled punk, really insecure and mouthing off from where nobody can get at him. Most of the time I'm dead on, I suspect...

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    11 times
    @DB This ROM is rocking!!! Add a lot of superlatives here.
    I cannot believe the change - from the original and Zombi. I am glued to it, my dogs hate it now as much as the iPad (that they walk on, stand on, try to knock out of my hands. We have a cracked screen on one - dog score!).

I did deactivate Google updates first. Sync is deactivated. I have a lot of email - but I chose not to deal with them on this device unless I need to retrieve a message, password, etc. Nothing daily.

- I greatly appreciate the way the system boots - with the information, etc.
    - The desktop is lovely, serene, visually and functionally well done. Smooth ride.

Girl Gone Wild...

I decided to go no holds barred:
    As a start: I downloaded a lot of apps. I do not close down all apps just to move from one to another, and I multitask, with great success. I will be doing my online learning with the tf700t, some offline. Mass downloading. Mirroring to tv. I have 64Gs to burn. I can remove mass quantities of stuff from my other devices and do the hands on stuff I couldn't do easily on the iPad - no proper keyboard. Now I am always ready to do what I want, in any dark corner.

@Anyone Question 1: Can this handle my programming studies? In particular, I need to learn about databases - must do SQL asap. I know it can handle the other languages - just parsing code.

I don't know databases or mobile systems - so I will use an app that contains the software I need to do beginner stuff. Once I have learned something substantial I'll set up on a laptop or desktop. (Get the Apache, MySQL, PHP, i.e. AMP, whatever, going again.)

Question 2: Do NOT panic, I am only asking - I saw apps that let one use Linux OS without compromising your current operating system. Is that true? What say you?

Done - I hope this was relaxing.

Thanks
    Last edited by tonihb; 12-19-2015 at 04:41 PM.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    It makes me very happy that you like your tablet with our rom!

SQL???
    Isn't that what the Roman legions had on their standards?
    But how that is related to a native american tribe in the Southwest I have no idea!

@Kevinthefixer to the rescue cause..... I have no idea!

As to dual booting Linux: It has been done on this tablet but I know nothing about it.
    Look for a thread on Kexecboot or check this out: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2026919
    Aslo: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2387133

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    11 times
    I forgot something...what literally went through my mind as I began to use this system. Literally:

"CROM!" a la Conan the Barbarian, eyes wide open - mouth agape, when he discovers the remains in a cave.
    Last edited by tonihb; 12-19-2015 at 05:09 PM.
    droidbound likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    11 times
    I ask about SQL and Linux generically - I do not want to ruin the awesomeness that I now possess. I do not want to break the system.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Just ran a quick search of Play Store for "mysql", filled pages with results that look promising. Many client apps, and a couple of educational ones. Looks like you're in good shape there.

IIRC Apache is a database server created for Unix, but I confess I'm not much up on it either. Actually @Gtanner00 would probably be our best information source at this point. It's possible it's been ported to Windows also.

I have read of several installations of Linux, usually either Ubuntu or Debian, on the TF700. I have not read of one that was very successful. Usually I see reports of problems with wi-fi and touchscreen drivers. IMHO a mobile internet device is not much good without wi-fi and touchscreen! The usual scenario is replacing your recovery with a Linux bootloader and installing a system image on the external SD card. So you use the pwr/vol- keys to get to the bootloader, select recovery, it loads the Linux bootloader which loads the system from the SD card, and you are now running Linux, however poorly. One member over on the Linux Mint Debian Edition forums got LMDE2 to run on, I think, a T301--and thought he had problems with the drivers for the flash memory because it ran so slowly.

It all seems like a waste to me. Think of the Android OS as Linux optimized for this hardware. Android is derived directly from Linux. Why would you want to run an OS optimized for desktop boxes? Makes no sense.

I'm also glad you like this tablet with this ROM, 'cause I just installed it on the refurb 700 I got my better half for Christmas, and I hope she likes it too. I don't remember ever having this easy a time unlocking and ROMing anything; maybe it's DB's and LMK's excellent job of building the installer, maybe I'm getting better at it, maybe because for once I actually took my own advice and RTFM, maybe all of the above. But I'm grateful.
    droidbound likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Kevin its nice for you to think that I might be of some help but I don't think there is anything I can offer. I'm in electrical not software engineering.

The best way I can think of to integrate android with a development routine would be either through a remote desktop to a windows machine or with a connection to a compile server.

Since a lot of these languages are older and quite low level they have almost no relation to android at all which would mean a massive amount of overhead to compile and run them on some sort of emulator app.

It seems like there was a lot of work put into porting Linux for these tabs and a shame that none of us have ever tried it out for reference. Next weekend project Kevin?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Oh, so I'm elected, huh? Well I have an excuse for the next couple weekends anyway, family from out-of-town visiting. Had to clean out the back room to have room for the air mattress. But honestly, I just don't see it; what will I be able to do with, say, Ubuntu on a tablet that I can't do with Android?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Elected? I prefer the term "volun-told"

Actually one of the only benefits I can think of would be to set up a Linux entertainment system to stream media from a network attached drive. I suppose there are already services to to that through android anyways though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links