Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: [GUIDE] Help! My Transformer TF700 boots only to recovery!!!!

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Problem is that when I posted to the one in the 300 section it doesn't show up here, and LMK's discussion doesn't show there. I'm afraid I'll lose sleep over that...

As I said there, this should have been done a month ago, but nobody thought of it. Excellent job, DB!
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    That's because the threads should become device specific in time. Droidbound or you can add to the OP in any of the threads to include further information as you wish to, though.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    You both have a good point
    The topic in itself is not device specific, but it would probably get lost in the Asus Android Tablet General section, plus it is a very specific problem affecting relatively few members. Or so I hope...

Fragmentation will not be a big problem in this case, I think. And if it does, we can still merge and move the threads, right?

For now I edited the title in each thread to be device specific and used post 2 in each to suggest members also peruse the other two threads.
    Anybody in this situation should be motivated enough to read three probably relatively short threads.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    I see no problem in having this post in triplicate. It is likely one of the most important procedures posted in the form. If it actually does what it says it does. Having 3 posts is certainly better than a new thread for every user with almost the same problem.. It's great to have one post to reference.
    Also, I think we should try really hard to merge threads right away when someone posts about bootlooping.

Ps. I think all this guide writing has inspired me to finally create the tf201 - hairybean bootloader ROM guide I've been meaning to work on. This is likely the only weekend for a while I will have time to work on something like this. I also started looking on eBay to see if I could find any old devices I could try the above method on. I just don't want to put more than about $80 - $100 on an almost 3 year old device. I was so close to buying a Oneplus one or LG g3 as well but I'm doing the best I can to keep that urge at bay (at least until June)
    LetMeKnow likes this.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Developer
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    I see no problem in having this post in triplicate. It is likely one of the most important procedures posted in the form. If it actually does what it says it does. Having 3 posts is certainly better than a new thread for every user with almost the same problem.. It's great to have one post to reference.
    Also, I think we should try really hard to merge threads right away when someone posts about bootlooping.

Ps. I think all this guide writing has inspired me to finally create the tf201 - hairybean bootloader ROM guide I've been meaning to work on. This is likely the only weekend for a while I will have time to work on something like this. I also started looking on eBay to see if I could find any old devices I could try the above method on. I just don't want to put more than about $80 - $100 on an almost 3 year old device. I was so close to buying a Oneplus one or LG g3 as well but I'm doing the best I can to keep that urge at bay (at least until June)
    Well put and I am very sure a lot users can be benefit...

I see a lot of threads helping average users to solve their problems but I don't see a lot of posts for advanced users on tweaks and understanding about their devices. Most of valuable information coming from advanced users. Just my thoughts...
    droidbound likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi,

Not sure this is the correct thread but here goes.

I was over in the beginners guide to custom ROMs. I installed Crombi-X, Zombi X and Zombi-POP on my 700 tablet. Everything was great. I had nandroids of each of these configurations. I chose to run the Zombi-pop. I figured since I had these nandroids I could do some experimenting with no risk, if something went wrong I would boot into TWRP and restore the nandroid backup.

I saw there were files with the ASUS apps (like Polaris Office, etc). I wanted to see if I could install them. I went into TWRP and installed the one for Zombi, it failed. I then figured I better restore the last POP nandroid to make sure there were no ill effects from the failed install.

Then I restored the zombi X nandroid. I forgot to do a factory wipe with TWRP but didn't know if that was only for an install and not a restore. Regardless, as soon as I completed the zombi-x restore, I did a TWRP factory wipe and then a restore of the zombi-x again. I also restored the data section only of the zombi-pop as that was the latest configuration of apps/data etc. I tried to install the ASUS programs and it failed again.

So I figured, I not going to mess around anymore, leave well enough alone, and wanted to get back to my original configuration. I did a factory
    wipe in TWRP then did a restore of the POP nandroid.

I booted up and the messages kept cycling (I think you call it a boot loop). So I powered up into the three icon screen to get back to the TWRP. The blue TWRP screen pops up and stays there forever.

I then went into adb and reflashed the TWRP into the recovery section. Same frozen blue screen. I read in different threads and in this one about using the adb/fastboot to erase system/data/misc etc. but I don't want to do that until I get some expert advice.

So, what say you? I had this thing running better than it ever had, thought having TWRP and nandroids was the armor that would allow some tinkering, but here I am with a dead? soft brick? hard brick machine? Can it be revived?

Thanks for any help.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    First of all: congrats! You developed a flashing habit real fast!
    You gotta be a little more careful about going back and forth between totally different roms though. And especially the bit about restoring a pop data partition to a zombi-x installation probably wasn't a good idea. File structure, library location tend to change between Android versions. Which doesn't really explain why TWRP won't boot, but wth - who knows what else you did in your flashing orgie??
    You did not mention which version of TWRP you had and tried to flash after it wouldn't boot anymore, but I suspect you're pretty current, right? TWRP 2.8.6+?
    As long as you have fastboot you can recover from this.
    Try:
    Code:
    fastboot erase recovery
    fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash recovery <filename>
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
    then enter recovery normally with the button combo.
    If that is sucessful enter TWRP, format data, let it finish, then flash the rom you want to run.
    If unsuccessful you'll have to flash the Asus system blob in fastboot and start from scratch.
    Let me know if you need help with that
    good luck
    Last edited by droidbound; 05-07-2015 at 12:48 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times
    I did the procedure above.

Using the buttons to get into recover mode, I still get the frozen blue TEAMWIN screen.

I had always and am using 2.8.4.0. When I first started this, I had read where 2.8.5 had a problem so I picked the next lower rev.

I read a thread where a guy said that the /misc partition was the probable culprit as he had tried everything and only when he erased this partition and then went through a lengthy procedure did it work. Part of his procedure was to install the ASUS factory ROM like you intimated above may have to be done.

Here is a link to the thread:

[Q] Stuck in a boot loop after using ASUS un&hellip; | Asus Transformer TF700 | XDA Forums

He references another thread as the owner of the solution is Buster99.

Unrecoverable bootloader error but not Brick&hellip; - Pg. 2 | Asus Transformer TF300T | XDA Forums

Should I do this?

BTW, when I went to the ASUS download site, not sure which file to use? I think it's "V10.6.1.14.10 Only for US" in the "firmware" section but there is also a file (ASUS Transformer Pad Kernel Code for Android 4.2.1 JB OS (V10.6.1.14.10) in the "Source Code" section that looks applicable as well. Do I need one or both?

So, should I follow Buster's procedure?

Edit:

OK, I saw that in the second link after reading many pages, @sbdags asked someone if they did Buster's procedure. If he endorses it, it must be ok. I also saw the breaking bad avatar discussing as well, which I assume is you @droudbound.

I'll report back on the results.

Edit 2:

All is good. The Buster procedure worked and I am back on the Zombi-Pop nandroid restore file I saved yesterday before the crash. Thanks to all for the help.
    Last edited by rdsandy; 05-07-2015 at 01:15 PM.
    droidbound likes this.

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Can't beat hearing news like that.

Any time you are changing ROMs you should wipe /data and /cache first. If changing Android versions, best practice is to format /system, /data, and /cache.

Buster99's procedure is drastic but has saved a lot of tablets that otherwise were hard bricks. Please consider it a last resort, and avoid the need for it if you can.

And don't let out @droidbound's secret. He thinks nobody knows.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinthefixer View Post
    Can't beat hearing news like that.

Any time you are changing ROMs you should wipe /data and /cache first. If changing Android versions, best practice is to format /system, /data, and /cache.

Buster99's procedure is drastic but has saved a lot of tablets that otherwise were hard bricks. Please consider it a last resort, and avoid the need for it if you can.

And don't let out @droidbound's secret. He thinks nobody knows.
    Knows what?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links