Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kevinthefixer
  • 1 Post By Gtanner00
  • 1 Post By Gtanner00

Thread: TF700 CROMiKK f2fs+ART=Bad Experience!

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times

TF700 CROMiKK f2fs+ART=Bad Experience!

Maybe I had too much time on my hands over the Thanksgiving holiday, but I've been thinking about trying out CROMiKK on my 700. It needed a general housecleaning anyway, and I've been wondering what all the fuss is over Android RunTime. I already had TWRP 2711 installed so it was not much trouble to flash the ROM after the appropriate wipes and formatting /data/ to f2fs, and that went with no hitches.

That was about all the good news. I installed a few apps and played around a bit to get a feel for the ROM, of course, and it is smooth and responsive and stable. Not only would I recommend it, but after all was said and done I reinstalled it. But I will not be changing to ART again, I'm not anxious to repeat that particular mistake.

The setting for changing runtimes is simple, it's under developer options once you enable that. Once you tap the button to change to ART, a warning pops up that it is not officially supported under this ROM and to please not submit bug reports if under ART. I advise one and all to heed that warning! The change requires a reboot, and I told it to go ahead and do so. It shut down, tried to reboot--and hung on the CROMiKK splash screen. Not for the 10 or 15 minutes that the new ROM requires, but for hours. I finally did a forced shutdown with the hardware power button--and it promptly rebooted to the splash screen and hung there. Now I'm no expert but I didn't think this was good...

So the next thing is obviously to try to boot back into TWRP and restore the backup I made almost as soon as the ROM was installed, right? All I had to do was a forced shutdown, and hold the vol- button while it did its reboot thing, and it booted into fastboot mode where I selected recovery and hit the vol+. When TWRP booted up I thought I was home free. Restored that backup, hit the "reboot system" button--and the tablet promptly bootlooped. It would start with the Asus logo as always, proceed to the pre-init screen that I think comes from Cyanogenmod11, then loop back to Asus again.

Now I'm getting a bit worried, but I'm about to get a lot more worried. I figured I'd try again, with a total wipe, and maybe back to the old standby CROMiX. Hold the vol- button again, back to the blue TWRP boot splash--where it hung. Recovery is now borked also. Starting to resemble a brick...

This is why maintaining an ADB and fastboot connection is so important. It turned out that I did have ADB while the pre-init screen was active, and it might have been just barely possible to repair this with that. But I could still boot into fastboot mode and that saved my butt. Or at least my tablet. I was able to flash TWRP (2801 this time) to the tablet, and then immediately screwed up. After fastboot reported a successful flash, I typed in "reboot" and <enter>--and my PC immediately crashed. The next thing I knew my forehead was stinging; it was from the smack I gave myself, because this is not the first time I ever did this. What I should have typed is "fastboot reboot" and <enter>, to tell the tablet to reboot and install the new recovery. Fortunately, no real harm done, I just had to do it all over. After entering the correct command I had a working recovery again. Finally the home team is in scoring position...

So now I wiped and formatted everything the recovery is capable of. For some odd reason it defaulted to formatting /data/ to ext3 rather than ext4. But since I'd had good experiences with f2fs I changed it to that anyway. Perhaps one day I will try installing this ROM with /data/ as ext4, then try ART with that, or perhaps I'll let someone else be the guinea pig. I do not know if there is a bad interaction between f2fs and ART or not, or if something else caused this problem. At any rate I flashed CROMiX from scratch again, and the TF700 is good as new, and with the new ROM is a new toy again too! Of course I have a bit less hair, and if scarcity creates value then I'm much poorer in that department. I hope I'm wiser from all this though.

Thanks to all the contributors to this forum! Without you I would never have acquired the knowledge and ability to recover from this. Maybe someone else will benefit from my screwup here, which is why I'm typing away right now. And maybe that someone will help out another someone, and on and on ad nauseum!
    droidbound likes this.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Precious!!!!
    Thanks for sharing Kevin! At least you did not have a dull Thanksgiving. Hahahahahahaha
    I especially liked the "reboot" episode. LMAO You made my day....

BTW: CROMBi-KK is based on CM11 and it's CM which doesn't want to play with ART. Nothing to do with f2fs.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    I can tell you that ART as it was intended is an incredible step forward for android. The experimental runtime that came with KitKat is not even close to what the finished product is in Android L.

As it stands, ART on our Asus devices, barring the 701 is essentially a hack since we never received official support anyway.

Kevin it sounds like you went through quite the test of your skills. At least you didn't wipe data from the bootloader to try and fix things
    droidbound likes this.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    I'm running ART on my HTC M8 with CleanROM (4.4.4) and it works great. Last time I tried it on my TF700 quite a few apps would just fc but I guess by now most devs have updated their apps for L.
    @Gtanner00 Any link for what the "finished product" is like?

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    Any link for what the "finished product" is like?
    Timduru has a Lollipop beta out (already!) for the TF300. That'll probably be my next screw-up, er, I mean experiment. Haven't seen anything released for the 700.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Android L release will run exclusively on ART http://www.androidcentral.com/androi...xclusively-art

The summary is that ART in android L has parts if the existing dalvik built into it and is meant to be compatible with all apps without any changes from the developers.

On my phone I was using a ROM that was built using commits from the ever growing Android Master Source. The developer just kept adding new ART commits as fast as they came in and the result was the fastest ROM ever made for this phone (nexus 4)
    droidbound likes this.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links