Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    7 times

Unhappy Tablet will not turn on

Hello everyone! I hope someone can help me out to get my tablet back up and running. For reference I am currently unlocked and was running the 4/3 version of Crombi-kk when this happened.

I have two chargers for my tablet the original and an aftermarket one I got from Amazon. I noticed that when I had the stock ROM or Cromi-X installed both chargers would work normally. But when I put Crombi-kk on my tablet the aftermarket charger would not allow me to use the tablet while plugged-in, it would bring up the lock screen and then turn off the screen when I swiped to unlock the tablet. I figured it was no big deal and I would only use that charger when I was not using the tablet. So yesterday morning before work I plugged in my tablet to the aftermarket charger and the screen immediately turned off and now I cannot get the tablet to turn on. It is made by PWR+ with power rating of 15V, 1.5A, 22.5W(Max.)

Things I have tried after searching through the forums:

1. Plugged my tablet into the original Asus charger and left it plugged in for about 2 hours. The light beside the power button went from orange to green indicating it was fully charged. Still would not turn on with any button combination or using the reset pin hole.

2. Plugged tablet into computer using USB cable and left it over night to trickle charge. When plugged into the computer there is no indication that the tablet is plugged-in in terms of device manager or abd fastboot devices. (Normal since tablet appears to be completely turned off?) Still will not turn on today!

3. I used an HDMI cable with TV and still nothing.

4. Inspected all charging ports and connections and it looks like everything is in good condition. Plus the green light comes on when plugged into the wall charger.

So at this point it looks like my tablet is completely dead and the only option is a repair by Asus or just scrap the tablet that was working perfectly fine 2 days ago... With a custom ROM installed I actually enjoyed using my tablet and hope I can do something with it. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do? And if anyone that also had this problem sent their tablet in for repair out of warranty what is the approximate cost for a mainboard replacement?

Thank you for your help!!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    501 times
    Have you tried holding the power button down for a long time...like 30 seconds or more? Does it vibrate when you try to turn it on or is there no response at all?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    7 times
    Yes, I held down the power button for a minute and also held down with vol - and still no response. The tablet does not vibrate or do anything when buttons are pressed.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Ain't lookin good....
    I assume you have tried this with tablet docked and undocked as well.
    It seems, the battery is fine but something broke preventing the tablet from starting... Could it be the Power button itself?
    If you don't want to send it in (and that would cost a bundle) the next step would be to find a good video with tear down instructions, open it up and try to find a loose cable, replace the power button (don't know if that is even possible) or something similar... I don;t have knowledge of electronics hardware wise, so that's as much as I can think of.....
    Bummer!

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    7 times
    Yeah I'm guessing it's something internal that got messed up. It could be that my charger set off a fuse/relay switch that is preventing it from turning on. It might be the power button but less likely as I did not have any issues with it before. I am good with electronics and even fixed a tablet before so I'll open it up myself and see what I can find. Would be nice if it was just a simple loose cable!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    7 times
    Update 6/8/14: I took the screen off my tablet which is actually quite easy. Used the guide found here: Asus Transformer Infinity TF700 Teardown - iFixit

I checked everything out and I see no signs of damage or loose cables. I am able to get the tablet to vibrate 1 time when I unplug the battery or flip the internal on/off switch off and on and then hit the power button. So that rules out the power button being stuck or broken. I'm guessing something on the motherboard is damaged beyond repair at this point. I have been looking on eBay for Infinity tabs with broken screens and will try to get one for $50 or less. I figure that is a cheap enough fix since my screen is not broken and is an easy swap.

Developer
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NucMedMike View Post
    Update 6/8/14: I took the screen off my tablet which is actually quite easy. Used the guide found here: Asus Transformer Infinity TF700 Teardown - iFixit

I checked everything out and I see no signs of damage or loose cables. I am able to get the tablet to vibrate 1 time when I unplug the battery or flip the internal on/off switch off and on and then hit the power button. So that rules out the power button being stuck or broken. I'm guessing something on the motherboard is damaged beyond repair at this point. I have been looking on eBay for Infinity tabs with broken screens and will try to get one for $50 or less. I figure that is a cheap enough fix since my screen is not broken and is an easy swap.
    You could try this. Hold power + volume up and your device should enter the apx mode with a black screen but your PC can recognize your device. Plug your device into your PC to confirm that you are in the apx mode. If you are able to enter your apx mode and it should be because it is running without booting the bootloader. Then your hardware is fine and your firmware may be a problem. If that is the case, you could try these sequences:

1. Hold the power button until the first vibration and release it. It should shut off your device
    2. Hold the power + volume up again until the first vibration and continue holding both buttons until the second vibration then release the volume up button but keep holding the power button until the third vibration and release the power button.
    3. Now if it works your device should boot into your system. You may want try these sequences a few time and hope that it works, good luck.

If you can boot into your system, you must NOT shut it off or restart your device because it may not boot again. You must reinstall your Asus stock firmware before rebooting it. Good luck...

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links