Thread: TF700T able to boot normally -- unable to access bootloader/recovery

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times

TF700T able to boot normally -- unable to access bootloader/recovery

I recently purchased my first Android device, an Asus tf700t Infinity. The tablet was unlocked and reportedly rooted, but it had been wiped/reset so there was no SU app. The OS was 4.1.1 JB, and there was an early version of TWRP installed.

I decided that I would try some of the custom ROMs available, and I spent some time reading up on the various ROMs and installation methods. I set my sights on CROMBI KK. According to the tutorial on flashing CROMBI KK, I had to start out with a foundation of 4.2.1 JB, and a newer version of TWRP. So, I downloaded 4.2.1 JB from Asus Support, flashed it and it took...so far, so good. However, when I tried to access the bootloader/recovery again, the Android...droid keeled over with a red triangle popping out of his thorax. I googled it and the information I initially found said not to worry; so I didn't.

Then, per Droidbound's thread, "Beginners Guide to flashing a custom ROM on TF700T" I installed "Minimal ADB and Fastboot" on my PC in order to upgrade TWRP, I was able to get the device identifier confirmed at the command prompt, so I proceeded to update/install the latest version of TWRP 2.7.x. Well, that process didn't complete over the course of two hours, so decided to try again later. For my second attempt at installing/updating TWRP, I used the "Goomanager," app which seemed to work, but I was unable to verify, because I still couldn't get past the fallen droid with the red triangle. I also noticed that I could no longer produce the device identifier at the command prompt using Minimal ADB and Fastboot, and so that's yet another blockage.

I did a wipe/reset, and that didn't resolve the problem. After a lot of reading, I realize that the fix, if there is one for this, is outside of my fledgling skill set. I can't get to the bootloader/recovery, but I can boot normally and use the tablet with no problem and while that gives me hope, it's not a common occurrence, at least not from the info I was able to find.

Any HELP would be GREATLY appreciated.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Well, you flashed the complete stock firmware. That also overwrites the custom recovery you had installed.
    The fallen Android is the stock recovery not finding a valid update file. Totally normal and nothing to worry about indeed.

I don't quite understand: You can't get into the bootloader? How do you get the fallen Android then?
    You are in the bootloader and in fastboot mode when you see the 3 icons.
    Can you get to that point?
    What do you get if you issue 'fastboot devices' with the tablet booted to the bootloader?
    And remember to open the command prompt from the folder your fastboot.exe is in and to run with administrator priviliges.
    You cannot use Goo to install TWRP because you are not rooted anymore. You have to use the fastboot method.
    Go over the steps again, slowly and methodically and I'm sure you'll discover your error

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    Well, you flashed the complete stock firmware. That also overwrites the custom recovery you had installed.
    The fallen Android is the stock recovery not finding a valid update file. Totally normal and nothing to worry about indeed.

I don't quite understand: You can't get into the bootloader? How do you get the fallen Android then?
    You are in the bootloader and in fastboot mode when you see the 3 icons.
    Can you get to that point?
    What do you get if you issue 'fastboot devices' with the tablet booted to the bootloader?
    And remember to open the command prompt from the folder your fastboot.exe is in and to run with administrator priviliges.
    You cannot use Goo to install TWRP because you are not rooted anymore. You have to use the fastboot method.
    Go over the steps again, slowly and methodically and I'm sure you'll discover your error
    Edit: Once you have a custom recovery installed, never ever use the 'Factory Reset' from Settings or the 'Wipe Data' from the bootloader again! With a custom recovery installed you always and only perform any kind of wipe or format from recovery!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for the QUICK response, Droid.

You're right, the nomenclature's new to me, I am getting to the bootloader, 3 icons and all.

As you instructed, I issued the "fastboot devices" from the bootloader, and the device identifier is BACK!

So, now my question is: should I re-root and then load TWRP from Goomanager, or try to work it from the command prompt. One of the problems I'm having is that the usb connection has at times been intermittent on this ol' laptop running XP.

I sure appreciate the guidance.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tswrench View Post
    Thanks for the QUICK response, Droid.

You're right, the nomenclature's new to me, I am getting to the bootloader, 3 icons and all.

As you instructed, I issued the "fastboot devices" from the bootloader, and the device identifier is BACK!

So, now my question is: should I re-root and then load TWRP from Goomanager, or try to work it from the command prompt. One of the problems I'm having is that the usb connection has at times been intermittent on this ol' laptop running XP.

I sure appreciate the guidance.
    Well, to root the stock firmware you need at least an adb connection, depending on what tool you would use (and for some you would have to downgrade to the .8 stock firmware). If that works, fastboot most likely works too. So why root?
    Just flash TWRP in fastboot and you should be good to go.
    Put the twrp.blob in the same folder with your fastboot.exe and issue this command:
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash recovery twrp.blob
    then
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    Then boot back into fastboot with Power and Volume Down, push Vol Up on the flashing RCK and you should be in TWRP.
    Perform a Factory Wipe in TWRP and flash the rom (which you loaded on a microSD)
    Enjoy.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks Droid! That did the trick. It was a major relief to access the recovery again - I thought I might have stumbled into some kind of bricked state.

I know you said that there is no need to root, but TWRP presented the opportunity to root on exit, and for the sake of exploration, I went ahead and did it.

I've had a heck of a time trying to get the MTP driver(s) to load on XP. Any suggestions? I heard about a "Naked driver," is there any advantage to that?

Thanks again!!!
    droidbound likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tswrench View Post
    Thanks Droid! That did the trick. It was a major relief to access the recovery again - I thought I might have stumbled into some kind of bricked state.

I know you said that there is no need to root, but TWRP presented the opportunity to root on exit, and for the sake of exploration, I went ahead and did it.

I've had a heck of a time trying to get the MTP driver(s) to load on XP. Any suggestions? I heard about a "Naked driver," is there any advantage to that?

Thanks again!!!
    Good! Glad you got it working!
    Windows is fickle with drivers and XP more than other versions. If you have adb and fastboot working, I woudn't mess with it.
    But if it is unreliable and your tolerance for frustration is high, you could try to uninstall all current drivers and then install MTP, ADB and fastboot drivers for your device.
    Yes - there's a different driver for each of those modes!
    The way I would go about it - and I give no guarantees for immidiate success - is:
    Open Device Manager.
    Connect the tablet booted into Android (but with USB debugging turned off in Developer options).
    Note any changes in Device Manager. The tablet should show up as a media or storage device.
    Right click the entry and choose to uninstall the driver.
    Reboot Windows
    Turn on USB debugging, start Device Manager again, connect the tablet and check if there is an entry for an adb device.
    Uninstall the driver and restart Windows.
    Boot the tablet into fastboot, open Device Manager, connect it and uninstall the fastboot driver.
    Reboot Windows.

Now you have to install the drivers.

I really like this little tool for installing adb and fastboot drivers on Windows and it worked flawlessly for me: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2588979

To install Asus MTP drivers it may be best to install the Asus Sync Utility. You find it on the Asus download page. Let it install (which will install the Asus driver for the tablet) and restart Windows, then you may uninstall the program using the normal uninstall tool Windows provides. It will not uninstall the driver, just the sync utility.

As you just learned, it can be crucial to have a working fastboot/adb connection to your tablet. I would fight Windows tooth and nail on that issue. It is worth it! Sooner or later you will need fastboot and/or adb to get you out of a pickle. Once the tablet is soft or almost hard bricked it is too late to troubleshoot driver problems. Do it while you have a working, healthy tablet/phone/whatever.
    Last edited by droidbound; 04-27-2014 at 10:38 PM.
    tswrench likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times
    With USB Debugging OFF

* Unsuccessfully tries to install as "ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T" under "Other Devices" (Icon(s): yellow question mark and exclamation point) in Device Manager

* No ADB driver installed

* No USB driver installed

With USB Debugging ON

* Successfully installs "ASUS Android Composite ADB Interface" under "ASUS Android Devices" in Device Manager

* Successfully installs "USB Composite Device" under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" in Device Manager

* Unsuccessfully tries to install "ASUS Android MTP Device" under "Portable Devices" in Device Manager (Icon(s): yellow exclamation point)

Asus Sync installation: "The installation of ASUS Android USB Drivers 1.0.6351 (32-Bit) appears to have failed. Do you want to continue the installation?" I opted to continue the installation and it completed.

The "Fastboot" driver appeared under "Other Devices" in Device Manager after I rebooted in Fastboot mode. However, the driver had both a yellow question mark and an asterisk - I was not able to conjure the device Identifier string by typing "fastboot devices" at the command prompt.

I was going to uninstall the Fastboot driver, but I opted to update/reload it instead, and in one fell swoop, it unloaded Fastboot and loaded "ASUS Android Bootloader Interface" under "ASUS Android Devices" in Device Manager. Low and behold, it is now compliant with Fastboot commands at the command prompt. It's still not MTP friendly, but I'm not going to give up on it just yet, while I still have half a tooth and little bit of a nail left.

One of the more promising leads came via this post: Fixed: ?MTP Device? keeps popping up Luigi Iotti web site And although it specifically adresses problems with a Samsung phone, it seems to have targeted t the right neighborhood for corrupted registry keys concerning MTP. I'm just not sure which keys to delete, edit or what.

Many thanks to you, Droid! At least I've got Fastboot working on a more reliable computer!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    You are welcome and thanks for the good write-up! Maybe you should turn this post into a thread with a descriptive title to make it easier to find for other members. Windows driver problems are all too common.

For file transfers try AirDroid or Superbeam. I prefer those over MTP.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links