Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times

The easy way to flash a custom recovery on the TF700

This is a beginners guide for flashing a custom recovery from a Windows 7 or Windows 8 PC to your Transformer Pad TF700T using an automated method or script and meant for those users uncomfortable using a command prompt in Windows.

I highly recommend that you read my guide to flashing a custom ROM here: Beginners Guide to flashing a custom ROM on TF700T

This method is a different (and somewhat easier) method to the section labeled "Installing a custom recovery on your tablet" in my guide.
    This script was developed by sbdags, knight in shining armor, savior of widows and orphans and creator of CROMi-X, in my opinion the best rom for this tablet.

His corresponding thread is here: [SCRIPT][Windows 7/8][TF700T][Install Recovery TWRP 2.6.1.0] - xda-developers
    All credits go to sbdags, head over there and don't forget to hit the "Thanks" button.

NEITHER OF US IS RESPONSIBLE FOR WHATEVER YOU DO TO YOUR TABLET! READ UNTIL NO QUESTION IS LEFT UNANSWERED, THEN READ IT ALL AGAIN. NOW YOU ARE READY TO FLASH

I assume that you:
    * unlocked your bootloader
    * are 150% sure you have the correct bootloader for the recovery and rom you want to install
    * downloaded and installed the drivers provided in sbdag's thread
    * have everything you care about backed up

The instructions on how to use this tool are provided in sbdags thread. I aim to provide background so that you know what you are doing.

Once you extracted the zip you will see:

a couple of Windows dll files
    adb.exe (which gives you adb access to your tablet)
    fastboot.exe (which provides fastboot access to your tablet)
    the Recovery Install Tool.bat (the script)
    recovery.blob (the custom recovery, in this case TWRP 2.6.1)

Basically this tool provides the same functionality as the Minimal ADB Fastboot Tool I recommended in my guide, with one exception:

The Recovery Install Tool.bat automates the fastboot commands I outlined in that guide.

Instead of having to open a command prompt and typing
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash recovery twrp.blob
    etc
    you just double click the .bat file and it will execute the necessary commands in the correct order.

Let's say you want to flash a different recovery (not TWRP 2.6.1 included in the zip). All you would have to do would be to replace the "twrp.blob" file with a recovery blob of your choice, BUT you would have to name it "twrp.blob".
    The script will flash any recovery to the recovery partition as long as it's named "twrp.blob"

I strongly urge you to become familiar with the basics of fastboot and adb (there are excellent tutorials on XDA). They can be (tablet)life saving if you run into trouble. And it is a lot harder to learn using these tools when you are in a pickle and the tablet unresponsive or in a bootloop.

Any questions?

ASK
    Last edited by droidbound; 07-20-2014 at 08:31 PM.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    And here's an even easier way to get TWRP on your tablet, but this method requires your tablet to be unlocked AND rooted! For instructions to root the TF700 read this: Beginners Guide to flashing a custom ROM on TF700T

Currently (7/14) there are two apps in the Play Store that will flash a custom recovery right from your tablet:
    TWRP Manager and Flashify.

Do yourself a favor and learn the basics about ADB and fastboot anyway. It may save your tablet when things go haywire.
    Last edited by droidbound; 07-20-2014 at 08:47 PM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links