Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    696 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulTKR View Post
    So I seem to now be rooted and unlocked. A few things about the process I noticed that seems to be different from the walk through above.

1. When typing in "fastboot devices" for the first time during the unlock process, I had a number returned but it WAS NOT my serial number. It was probably 5-8 alpha:numerical digits longer. Still it didn't seem to be an issue as I just continued on...

2. After installing TWRP and selecting the "reboot" option, I received a prompt asking if I wanted to install SU (Superuser) and aquire ROOT. Well of course I chose yes and seem to have acquired root that way quite easily. Even verified with Root Checker.
    A: Good point! I never checked that! Actually I think it's the Tegra chip serial - maybe :what:
    But you are right, I am going to edit the OP accordingly.

B: Yes, TWRP will offer to root a stock system once you reboot. You can just cancel that. Custom roms are rooted anyway and /system always gets formatted when you flash a custom rom. So the root you established with TWRP doesn't survive that flash.

Actually another good point: If you root with TWRP, then boot back into it and then do your stock nandroid, you would have a nandroid of a rooted stock rom.
    Can't really think of a situation where that would be helpful, but it certainly won't hurt.....
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    24 times
    I don't have or even know what nandroid is... Lol

I sort of skipped that part...

It like titanium backup? I've used that before.

This is the NOOB thread!
    Current:
    Asus Transformer Infinity TF700T 64GB Tablet in Amethest Grey - Rooted/Unlocked and running Cromi-X
    -Unfortunately the TF700T is still SLOW AS MOLASSES!

Verizon HTC ONE - Stock until someone can unlock it

Previous:
    Rooted HTC Thunderbolt running Skyraider Zues w/Trident Electra Case

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    24 times
    Also I have the 64gb version with no external SD card. Is it necessary to buy one?
    Current:
    Asus Transformer Infinity TF700T 64GB Tablet in Amethest Grey - Rooted/Unlocked and running Cromi-X

Previous:

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    696 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulTKR View Post
    Also I have the 64gb version with no external SD card. Is it necessary to buy one?
    A nandroid is a system image you create in your recovery and it's covered in that guide up there^^^^^
    But you are giving me very good pointers to improve the OP. I now added a headline to that section. Thanks!

It's not strictly necessary to have an external SD or microSD, but I have my most important files on the micro.
    Too many hard drives have konked on me without any warning... Much easier to pop out the micro and walk away than trying to extract the data from the internal.... I only have apps and media (videos, pictures) which I can download again from the source or have backed up in the cloud on the internal SD.
    Another reason would be: If you for some reason you have to wipe the entire system (major data corruption) including your data partition, you need to have your rom zip on an external card so you can flash it again.
    One more reason: Transfering large files from PC to tablet is still fastest by copying them to a microSD on your PC and back to your tablet. The MTP connection through your cable is painful! I use Superbeam for everything else, but for very large files nothing beats the copy/carry method.
    Look for a sale and get a cheap 8 or 16 gb class 10 UHS card - might come in handy.
    SoulTKR likes this.
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    500 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post

Actually another good point: If you root with TWRP, then boot back into it and then do your stock nandroid, you would have a nandroid of a rooted stock rom.
    Can't really think of a situation where that would be helpful, but it certainly won't hurt.....
    For cases like this! Restore from Cromi-X to stock ROM maybe you can help..you are more knowledgeable than I.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    24 times
    A nandroid is a system image you create in your recovery and it's covered in that guide up there^^^^^
    But you are giving me very good pointers to improve the OP. I now added a headline to that section. Thanks!

It's not strictly necessary to have an external SD or microSD, but I have my most important files on the micro.
    Too many hard drives have konked on me without any warning... Much easier to pop out the micro and walk away than trying to extract the data from the internal.... I only have apps and media (videos, pictures) which I can download again from the source or have backed up in the cloud on the internal SD.
    Another reason would be: If you for some reason you have to wipe the entire system (major data corruption) including your data partition, you need to have your rom zip on an external card so you can flash it again.
    One more reason: Transfering large files from PC to tablet is still fastest by copying them to a microSD on your PC and back to your tablet. The MTP connection through your cable is painful! I use Superbeam for everything else, but for very large files nothing beats the copy/carry method.
    Look for a sale and get a cheap 8 or 16 gb class 10 UHS card - might come in handy.
    Sweet! Thanks again for all the help! I agree that a lot of this info tends to be fragmented all over countless forums or out of date.
    Current:

Previous:

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    481 times
    @droidbound
    You just reminded me that I need to get your guide modified for tf300. It seems that it is so good that it would be a waste for me to try and write something oroginal

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    696 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    @droidbound
    You just reminded me that I need to get your guide modified for tf300. It seems that it is so good that it would be a waste for me to try and write something oroginal

Thanks! Feel free to copy whatever you can use and adapt it to the TF300 specifics. As long as you maintain that thread! LOL
    I really don't have the time to keep up with the developments of another device.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    481 times
    Thanks! Feel free to copy whatever you can use and adapt it to the TF300 specifics. As long as you maintain that thread! LOL
    I really don't have the time to keep up with the developments of another device.
    Not a problem. Especially if you are considering selling the tf700 and replacing it with a 701. By the way, sbdags has a 701 ROM now.

*I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    696 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    Not a problem. Especially if you are considering selling the tf700 and replacing it with a 701. By the way, sbdags has a 701 ROM now.

I know. My first TF701 went back to Amazon - digitizer was bust after 5 days. So I'm waiting a while before I unlock. I'll keep the 700 for a while - I want to hone my adb and fastboot skills

Page 2 of 81 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links