Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

Unlocking - blocked at every avenue

Hi all,

I am thinking I got a bad deal on this TF700t. I bought it from a seller on Amazon. It seems to have the infamous (at least from searching - with the TF201) Serial Number: Unknown issue. This prevents the unlock tool from working (I am running unlock v8 from Asus' website).

Just for reference, when I attempt to run the unlock, this is the error:

an unknown error occurs, which may be a network connection issue. please wait and try again later.

It seems an alternate method is to root the device and then use an app to set the serial number, I've tried using Motochopper, which reports 'Failure'. Maybe that's not even the right way to do it. I find such a mix of information when searching forums and Google, that I am not even sure where to start. Also, when I try to use the RCK boot option, I get 'Error' with a picture of a fallen Android (and this was before I tried any unlocking or rooting of the device).

It is running 4.2.1. It came with 4.0, and I had manually updated it to 4.2.1 after it would not update automatically.

Really, my only goal is to try out some custom firmware, like CyanogenMod - so if somehow I can get unlock to run, that would be great. Is there a FIX for the missing serial number issue, or is there a way around it by getting it rooted?

I'll admit to being a novice with Android, I was excited about switching from iPad to something more flexible for customizing but so far . So any help you can provide would be MUCH appreciated.

Thank you!
    Greg
    Last edited by gregk; 11-29-2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: added error message text.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok, made a little progress. I didn't realize the 4.2.1 release closed the Motochopper exploit for rooting. I was able to root my device by downgrading to the 10.6.1.14.08 firmware then running motochopper.

More info here:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ld-number.html

Now I am going to see if I can use Ratchet to fix the serial issue:
    https://www.androidroot.mobi/2012/01...wn-serial-fix/

Greg
    TF700 & TF810 owner.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    So it appears Ratchet is incompatible with the tf700, it does not let me change the serial, it just seems to error when I run it. I have been searching high and low for a way to modify the serial number on this thing, but I am stuck. I found a tool called setpropex that lets me update the system property for ro.serialno, but this does not stick on a reboot, and I cant get it to show up in About | Status, it still shows Unknown for the S/N.

So if anyone has ideas on how I might be able to get the serial number back on it, PLEASE let me know! The seller is not responding to my emails, so I suspect I am stuck with this thing...

Thank you!
    Greg
    TF700 & TF810 owner.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    If you purchased the unit and think that it might be refurbished, then Asus could have disabled the unlock feature. It is also possible? But unlikely that you need to have registered the tablet with Asus so that it is in their databases.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I was able to get the serial on the device, but I am not able to register. It probably does not match the motherboard, which could have happened if it was serviced. I am hoping that Amazon will help me since the seller is not responding, otherwise I have junk...I can still manually update and run the Asus distros, but I wanted to run the custom ones, that's why I bought it.
    TF700 & TF810 owner.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    If you recently bought this from Amazon, it might be a good call to return it. A lot if stores where I am will match any online price for products in their store.

The transformers really have a great development community on xda and if you are planning on accessing that it is a shame that you unit will not.

Im sure that you have done the research and have found the tf700 will fit your needs, however you may want to consider the nexus line of tablets (perhaps with Bluetooth keyboard) as an alternative which offers much less risk involved with roming and are running up to date hardware and software.

We seem to be in a dry spell when it cones to new 10 inch tablets right now. The tf300 was launched in July 2012 whereas the nexus 10. And 7 launched in December 2012 and July 2013 respectively.

The replacement for the nexus 10 is just around the corner and should at least feature the same specs as the nexus 5 (most likely a 2.5 GHz S800)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

______

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Deleted my mistake

______

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I did recently buy it, but it was from an individual on Amazon, and so far he is not responding to my questions. I am hoping Amazon will help me if it isn't willing to return it, or doesn't respond. The tf700 is pretty ideal for my needs, wanting to get into droids and I like the laptop style convertibles the best, not to mention the price is right since the market seems saturated with used ones. I can of course keep using it just fine, so I am not totally out of luck if I am stuck with it.

Greg
    TF700 & TF810 owner.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Moved to tf700 development

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links