Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: [ROOT] Browser2RAM script, and root tool.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    111 times
    Motochopper Root Tool:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2230763

If you have any questions, go to the bottom of this post and go to the original post over at XDA and use the search tool to see if your questions has already been asked and/or answered.

Should also work on the TF300, both motochopper root and the B2R script .

Stock B2R

Credits to elfaure as it is his post:
    I have been working on this startup script for awhile now and finally got it polished and ready for release. This script is more versatile and replaces Browser2RAM. Do not run them both at the same time. This script **requires root** and to be **run as root**. If you run it from the terminal make sure to "su" first.

This script works on JB 4.1 (at boot or after boot=terminal or a script manager) and 4.2 (at boot only). It works with 4 browsers: Stock, Naked, Chrome, and Firefox remapping each of their cache folders to a dynamic (as required) 50MB allocation in RAM which should suit most users. For demanding performance you can change the allocation from 50 to 100MB to run up to 20 simultaneous browser tabs for each browser.

Note: Since the RAM cache mapping is dynamic, it does not steal from your RAM unless needed by your browser so there is no downside to running a larger cache. Data is persistent so bookmarks and cookies are not lost if you crash or reboot. GPlay app Script Manager (Devwom) can be used to run this script at boot *as root* or advanced users can use an init.d script method.

Download attached. Upload the file and remove the .txt extension. Optionally remove the .sh extension as well.

************************************************** ****************************************

Open the script up in Script Manger and click two icons upper left area (su, boot). Also check the radio button "is script" NOT "is executable". You'll see the two set icons next to the script name in the Script Manager file list (if you back out or open it up again) but for some reason you have to run the script in SM once for the settings to stick. That's it. Reboot and all the mountpoints are automagically created. Works with root on stock ROM.

And, for those who don't want to run it at boot automatically, and prefer not using the terminal, you can also use Script Manager to open it up and run it after boot as well. Just click the RUN button and make sure to check the su button first.

If you're having trouble finding Script Manager it's because it has been reported incompatible with some devices. If you can't get it from GPlay, Script Manager is attached but may have some video incompatibilities with some devices.

[Edit]

Updated script to add 4 more browsers (now 8 in total): Opera Mobile, Dolphin, Boat, and Boat Mini. New one is autostart3.sh.txt

[Edit]

Final release, Rev 4. Removed 2 previous versions. Enhanced error silencing. Updated script to add 6 more browsers (now 14 in total): Added - Dolphin Mini, Opera Mini, Baudi, Adrenaline, Maxthon, and One. If you want more browsers then edit the script. [Edit] Looks like I'll be adding a few more browsers to this per request. Keep your eyes out for REV5 [End Edit]. Added umount_all.sh script to unmount all the mounts created in autostart4.sh (just in case you need it). Chrome (my preferred browser) cache is 100MB, the rest are 50 by default.

There's also been a recent additional method added to load this script at boot and run it as root that does NOT require Script Manager OR init.d support. Confirmed working on stock 10.4.4.25 (JB 4.1.1). Should work on stock 10.6.1.14.4/8 (JB 4.2.1) too.

[Edit]

Final release 5, 053113, autostart_fn.sh.txt
    Rewrote entire script. Now works as a function using variables to load a user-defined list of browser apks (See LIST=" " variable in main code block). Umount_all.sh.txt also updated to umount all the mounts created by the DEFAULT LIST in autostart_fn.sh.txt script. Added @Tylorw1 to the credit list (even though he forgot to add an "m" after "50" for his 3 additions.)

************************************************** ************************************************** *****
    NOTICE: @sbdags has already incorporated this entire script into the latest CROMIX.
    Do NOT run this script if you are on CROMIX or it may create duplicate mountpoints!

The umount_all script should NOT be loaded in SManager to run at boot! This is a utility script mainly for devs to run from the terminal or a script manager just in case they need to undo what the autostart script does, namely unmount all the browser cache mounts created (for troubleshooting purposes) so they don't have to mess with their setup and/or reboot, especially true if using SManager or an init.d method to load the script at boot.

INIT.D SCRIPTS: If using this as an init.d script, it is IMPERATIVE that your script name have no dots "." and no file extension. In this case, rename the script to autostart_fn or 20autostart_fn if you have multiple init.d scripts.

**New, Recommended Alternate Load Method (hack) to enable init.d support for stock ROMs with Busybox**

(Replaces depreciated method of directly hijacking install-recovery.sh with this script but only works if you have Busybox installed. Stick with depreciated method if you don't have Busybox and can't get SM to work)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2#post42296292
    ************************************************** ************************************************** *****

autostart_fn.sh.txt
    umount_all.sh.txt
    scriptManager_2.7.0.apkl

I postponed posting this as browsers were bring added. Just about EVERY browser is now in it.

OP: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2273973

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    ROM: CromiX 4.6.6
    Kernel: MaxKernel V4 BETA 2 OC
    Last edited by Tylorw1; 06-19-2013 at 04:45 PM.
    montclair likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    500 times
    I did move this to the development forum. It requires root and a bit of extra knowledge that a new user may not have. I hope it still gets the attention it deserves! Great job and thanks for sharing.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    111 times
    Quote Originally Posted by frenziedfemale View Post
    I did move this to the development forum. It requires root and a bit of extra knowledge that a new user may not have. I hope it still gets the attention it deserves! Great job and thanks for sharing.
    Hehe if done properly it makes certain browsers load with craziness lol.The stock browser of the TF700 loads faster than any browser on my gaming rig that has an i7, 16 GB of RAM, and a SATA3 SSD. Also, it is the only way to get B2R on 4.2.1. The app B2R no longer works properly with 4.2.1 and it dont include all the browsers.

Tylor

ROM: CromiX 4.5 DeOdex
    Kernel: MaxKernel V2

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Any news on the Stock Root D2R ?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    111 times
    Quote Originally Posted by montclair View Post
    Any news on the Stock Root D2R ?
    I posted it. I know the directions are not 100% clear but I did not want to take someone elses work. All credit to those who helped make it possible .

Tylor

montclair likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tylorw1 View Post
    I posted it. I know the directions are not 100% clear but I did not want to take someone elses work. All credit to those who helped make it possible .

Tylor

Got it. Thank you!

This link is "page not found"
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2227123&page=1

Which script is it?
    autostart4.sh.txt
    or
    umount_all.sh.txt

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    111 times
    Got it. Thank you!

Which script is it?
    autostart4.sh.txt
    or
    umount_all.sh.txt
    The autostart4.sh file is what will mount the caches of the browsers to the RAM. And it limits it at 50 MB and is cleared on reboot. I am not positive what the umount is doing but I am gonna look into it now.

Tylor

montclair likes this.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    111 times
    Got it. Thank you!

Which script is it?
    autostart4.sh.txt
    or
    umount_all.sh.txt
    Ok I got it verified, only the autostart one. The umount is to unmount manually if need be.

Tylor

montclair likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tylorw1 View Post
    Ok I got it verified, only the autostart one. The umount is to unmount manually if need be.

Tylor

Thank you.

Question: Should I run the update that came out on 5/29/13 before running the B2R script?

This type of mod is new to me and I've yet to use Script Manager (according to Play Store, it is compatible with the TF700T).
    Is there a "one click" version in the works?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    111 times
    Thank you.

Question: Should I run the update that came out on 5/29/13 before running the B2R script?

This type of mod is new to me and I've yet to use Script Manager (according to Play Store, it is compatible with the TF700T).
    Is there a "one click" version in the works?
    I dont think it matter but the update might wipe out your root and require reinstalling B2R.
    Yes it is obviously compatible, well it would have to be because it is what the B2R is built off of.
    Actually there is not ATM because with every update the scripting is needing change, and really this process is not to hard.

Tylor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links