Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    4 times

unlocking and rooting

new infinity owner here, and i have been reading some threads about rooting and i'm a little confused about the unlocking business...
    I have a droid RAZR that i rooted, but i've never heard of this unlocking business that voids your warrenty

i reciently got the new OTA update, and now that this semester is finally over i'm interested in rooting this device.

on my RAZR i had to downgrade to a later patch to root, and from my understanding which i have done with other previous devices, it is still possible to "unroot" if need to send back in for a warrenty issue.

is there a way to root without "unlocking"? what does unlocking do? can't i just downgrade to a later patch and get around this? are there any tips that i need to know about this? thanks guys.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Ok, so Asus decided to lock the bootloader of the Infinity (and the 201 and 300).

What this means is that you CANNOT install a custom recovery unless you unlock.

Asus has an unlock tool and you MUST register your serial number to unlock, and tell them you are voiding your warranty. If you unlock, there is no way to lock it again to get it covered by warranty. However, for some hardware issues (say dead pixels) some users have managed to get it covered by warranty.

Rooting is just gaining root access to your system. I believe it is possible to root the Infinity, but you will have to roll back to an ICS version of the firmware to root.

If you are rooted and still locked, you should be able to unroot and send it in for warranty.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    4 times

Re: unlocking and rooting

Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    Ok, so Asus decided to lock the bootloader of the Infinity (and the 201 and 300).

What this means is that you CANNOT install a custom recovery unless you unlock.

Asus has an unlock tool and you MUST register your serial number to unlock, and tell them you are voiding your warranty. If you unlock, there is no way to lock it again to get it covered by warranty. However, for some hardware issues (say dead pixels) some users have managed to get it covered by warranty.

Rooting is just gaining root access to your system. I believe it is possible to root the Infinity, but you will have to roll back to an ICS version of the firmware to root.

If you are rooted and still locked, you should be able to unroot and send it in for warranty.
    So there is a way around the unlock by downgrading and then rooting. Also does Rootkeeper work for OTA updates? What I'm understanding is I don't need to unlock it. Is there any benefit from it?

Sent from my phone that has no eye

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    I believe you can downgrade and root. There is NO way to unlock without the unlock tool.

AFAIK, OTA rootkeeper has worked well for the Infinity.

The advantage to unlocking is you can install a custom recovery, do full nandroid backups and also install non-stock ROMs.

I am looking for a guide on how to root without unlocking. I do not have the TF700 so I cannot say for sure that it can be rooted without unlocking, but I am pretty sure it can be done.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Ok, found this thread: [How-To] All-In-One Guide For Asus Infinity (TF700) [21/10/2012] - xda-developers

First, you need to downgrade to ICS if you have JellyBean:

Quote Originally Posted by Pretoriano80
    ========= Recover /Downgrade from Jelly Bean to ICS/Clean Factory Restore with stock recovery =========

1) Download]ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T the latest firmware from Asus site (based os your SKU,eg. ww 9.4.5.26 * to downgrade from Jelly Bean you need the 9.4.5.30 firmware)
    2) Extract the .zip file somewere on your desktop (the result will be another .zip file,use it for step 3)
    3) Rename the extracted archive to "EP201_768_SDUPDATE.ZIP" (without the " ") and upload it to a MicroSD card
    4) Insert the MicroSD card in your tablet and use this button combination to Power ON and go to recovery --> Start the tablet by pressing Volume Down and POWER togheter for 5 seconds ,a message will inform you that you have 5 seconds to enter the recovery,press Volume UP before the 5 seconds expire.
    At this point the device will go in recovery and should start updating your firmware .

Note: Keep in mind that Windows doesn't show the known file extensions so most users don't have to put the .ZIP extension in the filename.

Then, run through this procedure to root:

Quote Originally Posted by Pretoriano80
    *** Rooting Your TF700 with Debugfs automated root ***

*This method works only with ICS roms

Note: Rooting will NOT void your Warranty!!!
    Before you start make sure that:
    * USB Debugging is activated (on your device go to Settings/Developer Options/USB debugging)
    * Unknown Sources is activated ( on your device go to Settings/Security/Unknown sources )
    * Make sure no other Android device is connected to your PC

* Make sure Asus Sync Tool is not running on your PC

========= Rooting procedure =========

1) Create a folder on your desktop an name it " TF700 Rooting " (you can use a different name but i will use this name in this guide)
    2) Download Asus USB drivers and Debugfs automated root from here
    3) Extract the downloaded files to TF700 Rooting folder
    4) Power ON your device and connect it to a USB port on your PC
    5) If Windows is asking for the drivers point the driver installer to the Asus USB drivers in the TF700 Rooting folder ... if not, install the ADB drivers from Windows Device Manager (if you don't know how to do it then you better stay off from rooting your device)
    6) Open the TF700 Rooting folder and run RootDebugfs.bat (right click --> Run As Administrator)
    7) Select option "1" and press "Enter"
    8) Follow the instructions on-screen

DONE, if you did everything right your device will be rooted.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    4 times

Re: unlocking and rooting

Thanks a lot for your help! Is your device unlocked? Can't I just use titanium backup to back up my stuff when rooted? again thanks for your response. I'll keep you posted when I get the green light

Sent from my phone that has no eye

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    The TF101 is unlocked, but it came that way. The next one, the TF201 (and all since then) have locked bootloaders.

Not sure if I would unlock it if I had one of those.

If you are rooted, you can just use Titanium to backup your apps.

Asus includes the "App Backup" app to allow you to back up your tablet without needing to root.

Also, ICS & JellyBean have a way to backup via ADB: [HOW TO] Perform a Full System Backup unrooted Android 4.0, 4.1 or 4.2 device

And then there is the MyBackup/MyBackup Pro app from the Play Store that work without root as well.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    4 times
    okay so after following the steps as suggested, would i be able to get the OTA via check for update? or will i have to do it manually

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    4 times
    Bump bump bump

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    As long as you haven't unlocked or uninstalled any of the system apps, you should be fine with OTA updates.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links