Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times

Best way to get gigabit

Hello,
    First, congratulations for this very helpful forum !
    Here my problem:
    my goal is to get gigabit ethernet on my tf700 to play HD films and iso bluray stored in my NAS with XBMC 13. In wifi i'm limited to 720p or light 1080p movies... I've plugged a usb/100 mb ethernet adapter on the dock and it works fine for the major part of my 1080p movies, but heavy mkv (11 gb for a 1h30 movie for example) and iso bluray are constantly interrupted to reload the cache... 100mb/s ethernet is not sufficient...
    I want to connect my tf700 to my gigabit switch (netgear prosafe), which support my nas gigabit (wd my cloud). My router has only fast ethernet port and wifi b/g. Router in the living room, tf700 in the bedroom, one wall between the rooms

I think i have 2 options:

1) plug a wifi AC access point to my switch and find a usb3/wifi ac dongle for my tf700 using the usb 3 OTG 40 pin host adapter (I think the dock is limited to usb 2 right ?)
    Amazon.com: Patazon 40Pin Usb 3.0 Otg Host Adapter For Asus Eee Pad Transformer Tf101 Prime Tf201 Tf300 Infinity Tf700: Computers & Accessories
    Does a usb3/wifi ac dongle for android exist ? Do i have to install a driver and How to do ?

2) plug a long cat6 cable between my switch and a usb3/gigabit adapter like this:
    Amazon.com: Plugable USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter: Electronics. Does the adapter work on a tf700, do i have to install a driver and how to do ? Do i need the usb 3 OTG 40 pin host adapter ?

I hope i've been enough precise and many thanks in advance for your help !!!!

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Firstly, your WiFi should be plenty fast enough for HD and 100mb is WAY fast enough. There may be something else going on. I can tell you from experience that MKV files are going to be a problem. On MKV files your best solution would be to convert them to MP4 files. You also may want to consider using a different player if the WiFi isn't working well, MKV or not.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    I've used MX and player for my mkv files but I've never streamed them.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times
    I agree with you that 100mb is fast enough for the majority of 1080p mkv, but it fails sometimes for large bitrate video: i have a 11Gb for 1h30 movie which requires a lot of cache reloads and i want to play iso bluray. "Unfortunately" ;-) i have a very lot of movies and so, i'd rather avoid to convert each of them. I've tested lot of players and xbmc is, for me, the most efficient and the only one which plays iso bluray
    That's why i'm looking for a gigabit solution.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Run this app. Seed Test. I think your problem may be something gumming up your TF, maybe something running in the background or a cache problem.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    Amazon.com: Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter for Windows, Mac, Chromebook, Linux, and Specific Android Tablets (ASIX AX88178 Chipset): Computers & Accessories

I have a gigabit switch plugged into my router. From the switch I have two of these, one feeding my laptop and one was feeding my TF700T. This gives me much better speeds than wireless, but you will never be faster than your slowest link in the chain. I originally bought one of these to use with my laptop because the USB port is faster than the ethernet port on that old laptop. Also, I have a 1 gigabit Western Digital My Book Live connected to the switch.

I run "Lan Speed Test" to test my speed between various components on my network.
    Last edited by jimgfitzgerald; 06-30-2014 at 09:45 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi,
    I replaced my usb/100mb adapter with a new one and it works fine. So, i've put a 15m ethernet cable from my switch in my living room to my bedroom, plugged my new adpater on it and on the dock usb port. Now, 1080p mkv and iso bluray work like a charm in xbmc.
    Thanks a lot for your help !
    Swipe likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Glad you got it working.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links