Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

Dropped TF700 Won't Lock to TF500 Keyboard Dock - slips out of the dock connector

Note: Apparently a moderator has edited the title of this post. I do not think the point that my TF700 was dropped is significant, since the drop seemed to only create a problem with the original dock and when I bought a new dock, everything was just fine for a good while and it was only after several months of use there was a problem with the new dock.

A while back I ordered a TF500 Keyboard Dock for my TF700. I found the combination perfect for me, since the dock protected the tablet screen when I carried it around and I could leave the keyboard in the car if I wouldn't need it, but I still had it nearby and I could grab it and hook it up for writing if I wanted.

I ran into a problem when I dropped my tablet - not hard enough to break it, but after that, when I attached the tablet to the keyboard, it did snap into place, but would just slip out of the dock connector. I found a new dock locally and started using it, but after a while, even making sure I never dropped it, I ended up with the same issue with the new TF500 - I could lock the tablet in, but it could slide out.

This created a problem and I didn't realize it at first, but I had stopped taking my tablet with me because it was dangerous without the lock working. The tablet was no longer safely attached and several times it almost fell out of my grip when I was walking.

I've Googled this, but I think I'm using the wrong terms, since I can't find information on it. I tried taking my older dock apart, but I can't get into the connector to see just what went wrong and if it was something I could fix.

Have other people had this problem? Is it possible to fix it? And if not, is there a dock that's still available that doesn't have this issue? I miss being able to use my TF700 as a tablet and laptop.
    Last edited by TangoOversway; 08-29-2013 at 03:52 AM.

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    249 times
    Are you sure it's the docks and not the tablet itself that is the problem? From what I can tell the dock lock slides two hooks into two small cavities on the tablet. Would you be able to test with another tablet?

-Tor

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    Are you sure it's the docks and not the tablet itself that is the problem? From what I can tell the dock lock slides two hooks into two small cavities on the tablet. Would you be able to test with another tablet?

-Tor
    The reason I don't think it's the tablet is because the new dock worked fine with the tablet for several months before the problem came up again. I would think if it were a problem with the tablet, then it should have never worked with the new dock in the first place.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't have a solution, but I do have the same problem. I have a TF700T with a dock that I believe is a 201 dock labelled as a TF700T dock. I purchased both in August 2012. A few months ago I noticed the tablet would no longer lock in the dock. I have a case from Amazon that holds them together, so I didn't notice it until my tablet ran out of power while listening to music at work all day. I thought it odd since I had the charger plugged into the base at the time and I thought they were locked together. I have visually inspected the tablet and the docking station, including the 2 tabs on the dock that form the lock. I see nothing wrong. The little switch on the dock slides to the right when i insert the tablet into the dock, acting like it is locking. It just doesn't lock. I believe you when you don't think dropping it had anything to do with it, because my tablet has not been dropped (at least yet). My guess it is something on the mechanism in the dock that does the locking.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times
    I too have this problem. One side locks ok, the other side doesn't. Nothing seems wrong visually and it still charges but its a nuisance and it must be a strain on the side that does lock. Any solutions would be welcome as long as they don't involve spending more money. The thing cost enough in the first place.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Has anyone ever been able to disassemble the hinges? I've taken one keyboard mostly apart, and most of it is easy, but I can't get into the hinges. If I could, I might learn something there and I'm willing to sacrifice my older keyboard dock if it lets me fix the newer one.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I have the same problem. These things are bloody expensive and should last better than this. I think something is bent or broken off but i canot see into the cavity well enough to be able to determine the cause of the problem .

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links