Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

GTMax car & wall charger continuous chiming sound while charging? ? ?

Hello All,

I just received a set of car charger and wall charger by GTMax I bought on Amazon. The device is charging on the wall charger BUT I'm getting the charging "chime" tone about every 10 seconds. Any idea what is up with that?

I'm thinking perhaps the charger is cutting out and maybe it is 'kicking' in every 10 seconds and each time it does that the tablet is 'chiming' to let me know it is charging?

Any other ideas? It is charging pretty quick so otherwise is all good but obviously this chiming has got to stop.

Thanks in advance, Rob.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    81 times
    Does the same thing happen when you charge it using the car charger?

The other thing I would try is to see if you can connect it to another wall charger and see if the same thing happens - you may be able to prove that you have purchased a faulty wall charger unit.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I haven't tried the car charger yet.

The included ASUS charger sure doesn't do the charging.

Also it only chimes when 'sleeping', if i have it on (screen active) then it doesn't chime while charging.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Hi Rob,

The charger isn't up to the task - I would cease using it & return it as unfit for purpose.

All the best

(Thread title edited to include charger make, moved to accessories)
    Last edited by janner43; 04-09-2013 at 02:38 AM.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the advice. I have done just that, contacted the seller who to their credit did respond very quickly and is shipping a replacement out. The car charger did the same 'chiming' though much less frequently.

If the replacement bits do the same I'll write a negative review of the accessory in this forum.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by robsimpson View Post
    Hello All,

I just received a set of car charger and wall charger by GTMax I bought on Amazon. The device is charging on the wall charger BUT I'm getting the charging "chime" tone about every 10 seconds. Any idea what is up with that?

I'm thinking perhaps the charger is cutting out and maybe it is 'kicking' in every 10 seconds and each time it does that the tablet is 'chiming' to let me know it is charging?

Any other ideas? It is charging pretty quick so otherwise is all good but obviously this chiming has got to stop.

Thanks in advance, Rob.
    Interesting. After I upgraded to JB 4.2.1, I started getting the chime about every 10 seconds. Not from the charger, but out of the tablet speaker. Didn't matter whether it is the Asus charger or the 3rd-party one. Both tablet and keyboard charge just fine however. I just make sure the sound is muted completely. I'm thinking that there may be a new setting somewhere in JB 4.2?? I dunno. I've looked. Maybe buried somewhere down in the Dev settings. Didn't chime before.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    That was why I posted to the group. I was wondering if there was a 'feature' in the software. I don't think so. Basically I think that the GTMax chargers do not output a steady (enough) voltage and that the chiming is a result of voltage fluctuations hitting the charge level recognized by the tablet. Each time the voltage crosses the threshold the tablet chimes to let me know it is charging similarily to the first (and only) chime I get when I plug in the Asus charger.

I'd guess that if you're getting the chiming from your Asus charger that you should get a replacement Asus charger.

Anyway I've received the replacement GTMax chargers and they do the same thing. I'm going to not use them and let the seller know. At this point I'm looking for the seller to refund my money. They have been good up to now but ultimately I've paid for something that doesn't work as far as I can tell.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I had this chiming issue too since the 4.2.1 upgrade with the EasyAcc charger from Amazon UK. But it stopped chiming when daydream kicked in. I set Settings > Display > Daydream > Clock - nothing was selected by default which is a bit weird - and then locked the screen with the charger plugged in. It chimed a few times but then eventually the clock appeared and the chiming went away. So you might want to try setting a daydream setting.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by robsimpson View Post
    Hello All,

Thanks in advance, Rob.
    I bought a wall charger and car charger from Second Shells through Amazon and they both do the same thing. If you mute the tablet, the chime stops. I called them and they said that they had sold a lot of both units and did not have an answer as to why it's happening. They said I can return them. There are reviews on Amazon complaining about the chiming, too.

Does anyone know if this is a software "feature" in 4.2.1 that recognizes non-ASUS equipment, or is there something that is engineered wrong in these after market chargers? The fact that it only happens in sleep mode is particularly interesting. I'm going to have to try the "fix" in post #8.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    16 times
    What it seems like is the charger is not providing a consistent and clean current...or the cable's connector is not seating correctly causing the tablet to register the low current or disconnects. Those both will likely trigger the charging indicator chime.

I wonder if in an effort to prevent damage to our tablets by low quality chargers Asus decreased the tolerance of the charging sensor?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links