Thread: Geek squad refuses to install screen protector

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    3 times

Geek squad refuses to install screen protector

I bought the TF1700 from Best Buy a couple of weeks ago...great deal for the Tablet and keyboard as a package. I also got the Skinomi screen protector (from Amazon) based on a recommendation on this forum. My wife and I got cold feet about putting on the protector ourselves so she brought it to the Best Buy Geek squad. The head geek, or whatever he is called, refused to install the protector, saying that it prevents the touch screen from working. Sounds like BS to me. Has anyone had any problem with the Skinomi or any other screen protector?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    98 times
    While I have seen no evidence that a screen protector "prevents the touch screen from working", as a responsible business owner, I would prefer to prohibit my employees from installing them for customers, simply to avoid the responsibility for a poor job, which is very possible. A retail store environment is not the best place for doing a job that is best done where there is very little dust. Also, who will be the judge of whether the application is adequately "bubble free"? Now, why the employee offered the reason he did is another question.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    66 times
    I would think they didn't want to install it due to not purchasing it there in store.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    18 times
    It's a service they offer...if you buy the protector there, and for a $14 charge it believe. The "geek" either didn't know his job very well or was avoiding telling you this information.

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    903 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DRS View Post
    I bought the TF1700 from Best Buy a couple of weeks ago...great deal for the Tablet and keyboard as a package. I also got the Skinomi screen protector (from Amazon) based on a recommendation on this forum. My wife and I got cold feet about putting on the protector ourselves so she brought it to the Best Buy Geek squad. The head geek, or whatever he is called, refused to install the protector, saying that it prevents the touch screen from working. Sounds like BS to me. Has anyone had any problem with the Skinomi or any other screen protector?
    Welcome to the forum DRS! If it ends up that you do it yourself, here's a fool-proof way of avoiding getting the dreaded dust-bubbles on your screen: Do it under a laminar flow hood! These can be found in most college and university biology labs. If you can't find one of those, you can run a hot shower in your bathroom to settle the dust before applying it! Let us know the outcome!
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    501 times
    Hey DRS, I just installed a similar protector on my phone. I agree that the wet application does look intimidating! It is actually easier than it appears on paper. Also I just checked and Skinomi has a nice how to video on their website yoy may watch. The thing with the tf700 is that there is only the camera cut out you need to worry about when placing the cover. If you still don't feel comfortable, invite the neighbourhood geek over for coffee.

Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    247 times
    I have had the Skinomi on my TF101 since I bought it, no issues with touch. As for installation do search for how to install. The basic thing to remember CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN, be in the most dust free area of you home. LOTS and LOTS of liquid on both sides and the TF screen, take your time there is no rush.
    Once it's on remove as much liquid around the screen as possible than set it aside for at least 24 hours( yea I know thats hard to do), finally there will be some bubbles no matter how hard you work to remove them on initial install. Ignore them for as least 2 weeks they will magically disappear.
    If all this fails and you're unhappy Skinomi will send you a new one free of charge, and you can just consider your first attempt as practice.
    Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post344339

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    TF101 32 GB + Grandkids toy now
    Nokia 635 win 8.1
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    9 times
    My .02 worth...avoid Geek Squad. PERIOD!

In life learn to do the following:

a) Maintenance your own car (To an extent), oil change, rotate tires, change fan belt, air filter, light bulbs, install car stereo, etc.

b) Build, repair and maintain your own PC, (Laptops excluded) i.e. upgrade video card, replace HDD, etc. and install screen protectors

c) Maintain your home or living space, i.e. paint a house, change an A/C filter, install a sink, tile a bathroom, replace a water heater, etc.

This goes for girls and boys a like.

Peace!

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times

Re: Geek squad refuses to install screen protector

Quote Originally Posted by SGTOKINAWA View Post
    My .02 worth...avoid Geek Squad. PERIOD!

In life learn to do the following:

a) Maintenance your own car (To an extent), oil change, rotate tires, change fan belt, air filter, light bulbs, install car stereo, etc.

b) Build, repair and maintain your own PC, (Laptops excluded) i.e. upgrade video card, replace HDD, etc. and install screen protectors

c) Maintain your home or living space, i.e. paint a house, change an A/C filter, install a sink, tile a bathroom, replace a water heater, etc.

This goes for girls and boys a like.

Peace!
    Good advice, but you seem to have more time than I do

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    60 times
    Quote Originally Posted by helpifIcan View Post
    I have had the Skinomi on my TF101 since I bought it, no issues with touch. As for installation do search for how to install. The basic thing to remember CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN, be in the most dust free area of you home. LOTS and LOTS of liquid on both sides and the TF screen, take your time there is no rush.
    Once it's on remove as much liquid around the screen as possible than set it aside for at least 24 hours( yea I know thats hard to do), finally there will be some bubbles no matter how hard you work to remove them on initial install. Ignore them for as least 2 weeks they will magically disappear.
    If all this fails and you're unhappy Skinomi will send you a new one free of charge, and you can just consider your first attempt as practice.
    I have a Skinomi screen protector on my TF700. As stated above, it does take up to 2 weeks or a bit longer for all the bubbles to evaporate and disappear. However this screen protector is top-notch!

No decrease in sensitivity regarding the touch screen and my stylus works very well on it. It's surface is smooth and the stylus glides on it as good as the Gorilla Glass 2 surface. The thing I like is the reduction in fingerprints and there is no effect on the screen's clarity.

Applying the protector in a clean environment is essential. One post I saw in another forum was to run the shower in the bathroom for about 7-10 minutes to get the air steamy and moist (bath exhaust fan off). Remove all the towels first too. Wash hands well and use the supplied fluid. The secret also is to not press too hard when using the applicator to squeeze out the excess fluid. Be gentle and then set the tablet aside for 24 hours. The majority of the haze and bubbles will be gone by then, then it's just a matter of the smaller bubbles and patches of haze to gradually fade away.

Also a Skinomi rep told me that if you run out of the special fluid (basically a very weak solution of distilled water and detergent) you can make your own.
    I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
    ~Robert A. Heinlein~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links