Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

Car charger?

Greetings everyone.
    Was just attempting to find a car/cigarette lighter adapter for this new TF700T. Thought it would be vary easy but was quickly proven wrong. Since the charger cord is a USB plug I thought any old USB power source would take care this task. My truck came with a USB port and have an adapter that has an extra USB power port for my phone. Neither would be recognized by the tablet as legit. Fearing the tablet was defective I reached into the box and pulled out the included charger and plugged it in and charging began. Went back to Best Buy to pick up the proper, and hopefully Asus, charger but they didn't have this item. After all my searching I fear Asus hasn't thought that was worth providing. I did finally come up with one that actually looks as if it is made for these Asus tablets. Website is caseen.com which is what lead me to this forum. So what I am looking to find out is does anyone know if the unit they sell will actually work for the TF700T? This is the link for that car charger, ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700 Car Charger 15V 1.2A
    It claims to output: 15V DC 1.2 Amp 1200 mA which matches the higher output numbers on the charger, 5v @ 2amp or 15v @ 1.2amp. Have a pretty strong hunch that the problem was with the port voltage in the truck data connect and cell phone charger.

A hunch for now but would really appreciate confirmation should anyone know this for sure.

JazB

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    31 times
    Any reason why you can't plug the stock charger into a power inverter?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    This looks like the same unit for less $$. I ordered one today.
    Car Charger Power Adapter for Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF300 TF201 TF101 SL101 | eBay

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2809 times
    Jaz, you are 100% correct. It has been beaten like a here in some of the other forums, but not a bad thing to have it here either.

The TF charging cable is actually a 9 pin USB 3.0 cable. Using the extra 5 pins over a standard USB 2.0 connector, the wall wart can determine if an Eee Pad is connected. If it does detect it, the output will be 15 V @ 1.2 Amps. If it is not detected, a safe standard 5 VDC @ 2.0 Amps (same as an iPad) is output to charge other devices.

Also, I want to point out that USB 3.0 on a PC does NOT output 15 VDC, it still only outputs 5 VDC and at a max current of 0.9 Amps.

Pete - You can definitely just use a power inverter. The part that is a PITA about that is you have to take your wall wart with you rather than just leave a charger in the car.

Also, Office Depot, Staples and CompUSA usually carry the charger in stores.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Ph0t0man
    Looks pretty close to me also. I did purchase from caseen.com so that will be that. After ordering I recieved a reply from Asus directing me to caseen and the very same charger I had already ordered. I found many favorable reviews for caseen and their products so now hope I have found a reliable source for future purchases. For a few dollars I will survive. Hopefully

Thanks for the reply

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello SkookumPete

My truck came with a 120v outlet so as long as I am in that I could get by. But we travel to many places and having that adapter along just made good sense to me. Should see all the power adapters we carry in our 5th wheel to deal with the options we've come across so far. Will just be one more hunk of electronic gear I figure.

Thanks for the thought.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    45 times
    I have one I got from Amazon. It's for Asus and is 15V, 1.2 amps.

Ads