Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

Lightbulb Compound Problems with TF300T

So, I want to start off by saying that this is, all in all, hilarious to me. I recently picked up a new tablet from the pawn shop. I typically don't have any problems with any electronics that I bought from there. (This is actually the first time.) But I knew that something would go wrong with a tablet that was $10 and had a single, long crack on the screen.

What I bought: Asus Transformer TF300T

So what's wrong?

====================
    [ LEGEND ]

✓ Problem solved
    ✖ Problem unresolved
    Problem continuing
    ? Problem… solved?
    ====================

PROBLEM: HAD NO CHARGER [✓]
    SOLUTION: Quick fix, real simple. Spent $6 on a new charger. Score one for me.

PROBLEM: ORANGE LIGHT BLINKS TWICE [✓]
    SOLUTION: Dead battery. Just let it charge. I found a lot about a consistently blinking orange light, but nothing about an orange light that blinked twice and then disappeared. I asked an Asus rep., and they said that the item had an incredibly low battery life. Easy!

(And now for the not so easy.)

PROBLEM: UNRESPONSIVE TOUCHSCREEN SIT. A [?]
    IN DETAIL: So, after letting the tablet charge for an hour or so —I know. I'm excitably impatient.— I decided to turn on the tablet just to see what it looked like and to get a good introductory feel of it. At this time, the touchscreen worked. I was able to scroll through and look everything without problems. After turning off the tablet, I let it charge for a bit more, and then I turned it on again. At this point, I unplugged it and the touchscreen did not work. I looked around to see what could be wrong. I found a forum post (can't find the link right now), that said they had to squeeze a part of their screen because something within the tablet had a weak connection.

Not only did it not work for me, but it made the screen start acting up on its own. However, when I replugged the tablet back in, it started acting normally. I'm honestly not sure what this is about!

PROBLEM: TABLET WON'T LOAD PAST SELECT LANGUAGE SCREEN [✖/]
    IN DETAIL: After playing around with the tablet for a while, I decided to factory reset it. It's been a while since the last user, but this is more of a fresh start for the product. I did buy it at a pawn shop, so there might still be some residual files on there. After doing that, I loaded past the two Asus logo screens and arrived at a select language screen.

I could not get past this screen. It would load on the Select language screen, but then the touchscreen was completely unresponsive. I had it plugged in; I pulled the plug out. I changed the orientation just in case and nothing worked. I haven't found a solution past this, unfortunately. Funnily, this is the first problem that prompted me to sign up here.

PROBLEM: TABLET WON'T LOAD PAST FIRST ASUS LOGO [?]
    IN DETAIL: When you load up the tablet, it has the Asus logo with the NVIDIA logo in the bottom right corner. However, I cannot get past this screen. If I leave it alone, the tablet eventually shuts down on its own. This is my currently persisting problem.

!NEW SOLUTION: Let it charge longer. In my case, I left it alone for 15 - 20 minutes on the charger, and then I was able to get past both of the logos. Unfortunately, I'm now back to my problem above where I can't get past the Select language screen. The touchscreen is, once again, completely unresponsive on and off the charge.

========================

Now, I knew that I was going to run into some issues with a $10, but so far, it's just been one problem after another. Hopefully, if we band together, we can figure things out one after another. I'll admit, I'm a little antsy to transfer some nonessential things from my Gen 1 iPad to Asus tablet just to free up space. (Got a lot of blogging ahead!) But because this is my first issue with a pawn shop item, I'm more willing to learn from the experience then I am to lose my fuse over this.

If you have any tips or advice, lemme know! I've already talked with an ASUS rep. about this as well. They want me to send it in, but I'm sure there's another way to work around this. (Even if there isn't, I have a month before my current RMA number runs out.)

Thanks a lot, y'all, and glad to be here!
    Last edited by PolyGotEm; 11-09-2017 at 09:16 PM.

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    328 times
    What a mishmash! I'll try to start at the beginning in a moment. But first, let me say: don't spend any more money on a TF300. I love mine, use it regularly, but it has hardware that is woefully out-of-date, and if it goes belly-up (or cracks the screen; they do that easily) the neighborhood kids can have it for second base.

Now, let's go back to your charger. You almost certainly have the wrong one, and you're simply not getting the battery charged. The TF line requires a much more sophisticated charger than the normal 5V cell 'phone charger. There are aftermarket ones available but I've never seen one for $6. The charger it needs puts out 15V, not just 5. There are several threads here on the subject, I won't beat it to death again. But as I just recommended not spending any more money, I recommend you ask around your circle of friends and see if any of them have a TF that you can borrow their charger for a day, then see how the tablet works.

And I'm actually going to quit here, because attempting to diagnose actual problems when you have a known (or even suspected) low voltage problem is an excellent path to the madhouse. If you can't be certain your tablet is charged, well, it's seven or eight years old and has a cracked screen, and you have an RMA option. If you can get your hands on the right charger, and you have other problems, then we can talk about repairing those, but if your touchscreen has gone south with the cover glass, again it's just not worth fixing. Sorry to sound like a killjoy! Anyway good luck.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey, hey! Thanks for replying. I said charger, but I meant I got the cable just for $6. The full on adapter/power outlet that I've seen is about $12. I figured that I needed the 12V or higher. The 5V charger is working, but it's charging entirely too slow for my liking.

And you don't sound like a killjoy at all! I mean, it was a $10 grab. Not really something that I consider much of a loss either way. Though, trying to look into the issues and understand it better does sound like a lot of fun. I'll try grabbing the right adapter/power supply for it and seeing how that goes.

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    328 times
    Yeah, I figured something like that. It can take days or even weeks to get anything into the battery with a 5V supply, IIRC the tablet's battery is nominal 7.5V, so it won't ever get a decent charge that way. And like I say, it's a fool's errand trying to diagnose computer problems when you don't have a good power supply. Voltage is to a computer as oxygen to us: too little or too much and we get stupid. But caution again: don't throw good money after bad. If you can get that charger for $12, and you consider it well spent for the education you'll get out of it, great! But keep in mind that'll make $18 you've spent trying to fix a $10 tablet that has a known cracked screen. That's a pretty good down payment on a working tablet.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links