Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

TF300T won't boot up - ASUS says new motherboard $200 - used little - options?

I bought THREE TF300t transformer pads with keyboards for my daughters and I for Christmas 2012. They've been using theirs and except for crashes and freezes, they like them. I never got around to really using mine, as it was intended as a travel device, so maybe used less than a dozen times. Suddenly wouldn't boot up. Called tech support, and they gave me the usual factory reset, etc. No results. Gave me RMA to send in. Never got repair reply, so they cancelled my order surprised to get tablet returned in mail after a month. Re-communicated and resent, and was told $184 for motherboard replacement, $15 labor, and shipping. $200 repair for a $300 tablet, after buying 3 of them and using so little, just didn't sit right. So I rejected the repair. My daughter's offered to give me hers, because she has a new iPad mini, but I hate to take it. I've seen used ones on line for around $150. I've also researched a motherboard replacement and seen some instructions and how-to's online and youtube Not sure if I can pull it off, but I'm willing to try, if not technical. Think a repair shop can replace a motherboard in my TF300t for less than $100, or maybe I can pull it off, . . assuming an eBay purchased motherboard is a good deal at $50-$80?

Everyone else having any problems or still like their TF300t? I just want to use it as a travel computer for email, online access, watching movies, taking pictures. . but don't want to get into too much $. I have a laptop and netbook, but this would be more compact and functional. Thoughts?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Quote Originally Posted by toohip View Post
    I bought THREE TF300t transformer pads with keyboards for my daughters and I for Christmas 2012. They've been using theirs and except for crashes and freezes, they like them. I never got around to really using mine, as it was intended as a travel device, so maybe used less than a dozen times. Suddenly wouldn't boot up. Called tech support, and they gave me the usual factory reset, etc. No results. Gave me RMA to send in. Never got repair reply, so they cancelled my order surprised to get tablet returned in mail after a month. Re-communicated and resent, and was told $184 for motherboard replacement, $15 labor, and shipping. $200 repair for a $300 tablet, after buying 3 of them and using so little, just didn't sit right. So I rejected the repair. My daughter's offered to give me hers, because she has a new iPad mini, but I hate to take it. I've seen used ones on line for around $150. I've also researched a motherboard replacement and seen some instructions and how-to's online and youtube Not sure if I can pull it off, but I'm willing to try, if not technical. Think a repair shop can replace a motherboard in my TF300t for less than $100, or maybe I can pull it off, . . assuming an eBay purchased motherboard is a good deal at $50-$80?

Everyone else having any problems or still like their TF300t? I just want to use it as a travel computer for email, online access, watching movies, taking pictures. . but don't want to get into too much $. I have a laptop and netbook, but this would be more compact and functional. Thoughts?

Have you taken a look at our guide here? http://www.transformerforums.com/for...101-tf201.html
    If you are able to get into the booloader, then there is a very good chance that you will be able to recover things. You will need a micro SD card to do this procedure.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Yes, as Gtanner00 says, don't assume a hardware problem because Asus said so. They make a lot of money installing surplus mobos in obsolete machines. What, exactly, does it do when the power button is pressed? Let's start from there.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links