Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: [GUIDE] Help! My Transformer TF300 boots only to recovery!!!!

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    708 times

[GUIDE] Help! My Transformer TF300 boots only to recovery!!!!

This is a guide to get you out of a "forced reboot to recovery loop", meaning:
    Whenever you try to boot the tablet it boots directly into your custom recovery. You cannot even boot into the bootloader and fastboot mode. This has worked on the TF201, TF300 and TF700.
    It should also work on the TF701 but AFAIK this has not been tested yet.

This trick is for this ^^ very specific situation only.
    DO NOT DO THIS WILLY-NILLY FOR A HOST OF OTHER REASONS

This trick is NOT for the following scenarios:
    soft-bricking your tablet
    experiencing a bootloop
    experiencing a hung boot
    not being able to boot the ROM
    unrecoverable bootloader error
    482 other scenarios I can't think of right now

Do I have to mention that I will not be responsible for whatever YOU do to YOUR tablet under any circumstances even when following this guide to the letter????

How you got into this pickle:
    With a custom recovery installed, you performed a Factory Reset from Settings or used the Wipe Data option in the bootloader.

Why you are in this pickle:
    You didn't read enough.
    Specifically my Beginners Guide to Flashing and that big fat red warning at the end of it

A little technical explanation:
    What happens if you use Wipe Data from the bootloader or do a Factory Reset from Settings with a custom recovery installed is this:
    The bootloader writes a command to the misc partition calling the recovery to perform a wipe of /data.
    The bootloader is always stock Asus. The command it issues was written for the stock recovery which performs actions like wiping partitions (among a few other things) on a stock system. The custom recovery you installed doesn't quite "get" this command since it was written for the stock recovery.
    Now every time you boot, the bootloader checks the misc partition (before doing anything else), finds the wipe data command, calls the stock recovery to perform it, your custom recovery starts but doesn't "get" it and just hangs, the wipe data command does not get erased from misc as it would if it was executed, the user reboots......rinse and repeat ad nauseam.

How you get out of this pickle
    When your tablet is booted to recovery you have ADB access to it from your PC. If you did not set up ADB/fastboot on your PC prior to this, find somebody to give you a good dope-slap then head over here to find instructions: Beginners Guide to Flashing

• To get your tablet out of the loop you'll need this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1qd4xhgaw4...oader.zip?dl=0
    • Extract the zip and put the bootit.ko into the same folder as your adb.exe
    • With your tablet in recovery connect it to your PC via USB cable, then open a command prompt from within your adb folder and issue this command:

Code:
    adb devices
    You should get something like this:
    Code:
    C:\adb>adb devices
    * daemon nor running. starting it now on port xxxx *
    * daemon started successfully *
    List of devices attached 
    0123456789ABCDEF        recovery
    Then issue the following commands
    Code:
    adb push bootit.ko /
    adb shell insmod bootit.ko
    The tablet should reboot into the bootloader where you have fastboot access.
    Now issue these commands:
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    fastboot erase misc
    fastboot reboot
    You should now be able to boot into your ROM normally, boot back into recovery to wipe data, flash a rom - whatever.
    From now on ONLY wipe and format partitions in recovery. Period.

We have bootit.ko thanks to the genius of @_that, member, developer and genius extraordinaire in the XDA forums.
    Last edited by droidbound; 01-18-2015 at 11:56 AM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    708 times
    bootit.ko has been used successfully on the TF201, TF300 and TF700. It probably works on the TF701 but that is untested.

For that reason this guide has been duplicated in the respective device sections.

It may be a good idea to browse the other threads because the following discussion will be different in each thread.

TF201 thread: [GUIDE] Help! My Transformer TF201 boots only to recovery!!!!

TF700 thread: [GUIDE] Help! My Transformer TF700 boots only to recovery!!!!
    Last edited by droidbound; 01-18-2015 at 12:01 PM.
    Gtanner00 likes this.

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    Now why didn't I think of doing this? Oh yeah, now I won't have anything to add. Ever. Thanks a bunch.

Seriously, this should have been done a month ago, but nobody thought of it until now. Good work!
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    HI @droidbound,

I've taken steps to get my tablet (300T) loop of the blue screen of TWRP.

When I enter the command īnsmod bootit.ko, the tablet does not restart. Goes OFF.
    When I turn ON again, it is again in the loop.

Any ideas to help me resolve this?

PS: The tablet came into this state because I came out with an error message "... encryption ..." and a button to "reset the tablet." Obviously I pressed reset.
    Suffice it to say that I was using CM12.1, it is a custom rom, the rom should not have the option to reset from the software, whether this will spoil the tablet. I'll will put a message to the CM about it.

I hope you can help me,
    Thank you

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    708 times
    Well, do you have an adb connection in recovery? This fix is for one very specific situation: When the only thing you can boot to is recovery.
    It sounds as if you canNOT boot to recovery, so naturally you cannot adb push the file to your internal storage....
    Can you get into fastboot? You could try to fastboot erase system, data, cache, recovery, reflash the recovery and see if you can boot into it.
    If you can't you probably need to flash the system blob in fastboot. Different problem than what is discussed here though....
    Google: "TF300 unrecoverable bootloader error but not bricked"

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    My tf700 doesnt get recognized by adb .. yes I have my drivers installed... I tried putting linux on it and messsed up the kernel and now its inn a boot loop to recovery.... however I had TWRP recovery and not the stock one... whenever it boots... it tries to boot into the stock recovey and therefore boot loops ... any ideas????

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    708 times
    Since you are asking the question I take it you did not generate the device specific nvflash blobs (to make the tablet brick proof) so that you could recover in APX mode... Would have been a very good idea btw before putting something as experimental as Linux on this thing...
    Anyway, what's the nature of your bootloop? How far into the boot process does it go?
    Can you boot into fastboot?
    If you can neither boot into fastboot or recovery (and you don't have your nvflash blobs), sorry - it's the end of the line. Only a new mainboard will revive it..

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

Ready to play Frisbee with the [darned] thing!!!!!!!!!!!!! cannot get into bootloader

Tried every permutation of vol power tried pin under sd etc

all i get is a looping teamwin logo.

was hapilly running cyanomod or something like that before idiot friend went and pressed factory reset!!!!!!!

any suggestions welcome

Kevin

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    708 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kflynn View Post
    Tried every permutation of vol power tried pin under sd etc

all i get is a looping teamwin logo.

was hapilly running cyanomod or something like that before idiot friend went and pressed factory reset!!!!!!!

any suggestions welcome

Kevin
    Hi Kevin, welcome to the forum.
    I edited you title for language and merged the new thread you started into this one. The OP has the only solution I'm aware of to that pickle you're in. Just make sure that friend of yours is nowhere near when you try this!
    Good luck!
    janner43 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Droidbound,

Sorry to reply to an old thread. This is the only one I have found here and over at XDA that properly captures my problem. I have a WW TF300T which was running KatKiss 6.01 v29 no worries until the other day. Had TWRP installed. Anyway long story short, tablet crashed, kept bootlooping. Got into fastboot but recovery kept on rebooting, so was unable to do wipe and reinstall KatKiss. In the midst and frustration of it, I accidentally selected the factory wipe and ended up with the situation you described above.

I can successfully get recovery screen to load and does connect via ADB, albeit briefly (often reboots within 10 sec and never get the full menu). However I have been able to successfully push bootit.ko but it won't reboot into bootloader and I do not fastboot access. The device does boot into APX mode but I stupidly did not make a NVflash backup prior.

Any thoughts? In time being have rebooted my old but sluggish TF101, but if can't recovery my TF300t, looks like I'll be moving onto something new.
    Last edited by mumblyjoe; 08-21-2016 at 04:27 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links