Developer
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post

It sounds like your OS has become corrupted in some way.
    Hi janner43,

The /system partition is very limited in size and just big enough for your ROM or OS. Anything else is installed after the ROM normally residing in the /data partition unless you are updating your OS.. During the normal operating, your OS is a read only partition unless you are updating your system files.. It is my understanding about the tf700t and it may be wrong. Just want to share my two cents...

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LetMeKnow View Post
    Hi janner43,

The /system partition is very limited in size and just big enough for your ROM or OS. Anything else is installed after the ROM normally residing in the /data partition unless you are updating your OS.. During the normal operating, your OS is a read only partition unless you are updating your system files.. It is my understanding about the tf700t and it may be wrong. Just want to share my two cents...
    No problem That would be my understanding also. Trouble is, we don't know what really has happened - faulty boot "sector"? Faulty system partition? Why it happened?

I believe a reload/refresh of the current firmware might work without deleting the user data - but there have been occasions when I have read here (rolling back to an earlier firmware, for example) when even that has deleted user data.

I certainly don't consider myself anything like a technical "expert" & I'n sure that Alf appreciates any and all helpful suggestions.

Cheers & thanks for trying to help.
    LetMeKnow likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Developer
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    No problem That would be my understanding also. Trouble is, we don't know what really has happened - faulty boot "sector"? Faulty system partition? Why it happened?

I believe a reload/refresh of the current firmware might work without deleting the user data - but there have been occasions when I have read here (rolling back to an earlier firmware, for example) when even that has deleted user data.

I certainly don't consider myself anything like a technical "expert" & I'n sure that Alf appreciates any and all helpful suggestions.

Cheers & thanks for trying to help.
    I totally agree with you.. All you said that could cause the system not to boot. I don't know much about tf300 but I think that it is very similar with the tf700 in many aspects. I did upgrade/downgrade and it did not touch the user data. However, the electronic devices are weird sometime and have an unexpected results...

BTW, I am just an average user and speaking with the user's experiences on my tf700...
    janner43 likes this.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    You're anything but an average user.. Don't hide your light etc....

I recently helped a member getting his tab back by reflashing the stock firmware from a microSD with the stock recovery and it wiped everything. And I believe that is the default.
    Did you flash the stock firmware from a custom recovery when you upgraded/downgraded??? That could make a difference...

@AlfKatz
    The one chance you may have to get your data off the tablet would be connecting to it in adb, but for that you would have to have USB debugging enabled in Developer Options on your tablet. I doubt that you did that and now you cannot access it.
    And anyway - to get the correct drivers installed and get ADB going with the tablet not booting is not easy and most likely a lot more hassle than re-downloading your books.
    So I would say: Bite the bullet, consider your data lost and proceed from there.

I think the likely scenario is that your /data partition got corrupted. If you are lucky a simple 'Wipe Data' from the bootloader menu (last of the 4 icons) will allow you to boot back into Android.
    If that does not work, you will have to reflash the complete firmware from a microSD.
    Here's a guide for doing that:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...bly-tf201.html

Good luck!
    I totally agree with you.. All you said that could cause the system not to boot. I don't know much about tf300 but I think that it is very similar with the tf700 in many aspects. I did upgrade/downgrade and it did not touch the user data. However, the electronic devices are weird sometime and have an unexpected results...

BTW, I am just an average user and speaking with the user's experiences on my tf700...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Developer
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    You're anything but an average user.. Don't hide your light etc....
    Hi my friend,
    In order to save electricity, I am working in the dark room most of the time so there is no light to show....

I recently helped a member getting his tab back by reflashing the stock firmware from a microSD with the stock recovery and it wiped everything. And I believe that is the default.
    Did you flash the stock firmware from a custom recovery when you upgraded/downgraded??? That could make a difference...
    I did test it with the Asus stock firmware before and in fact the data was still there. I will test it again sometime to reconfirm, haha...

Edit: are still up for testing the flashable zip for twrp v2.7.1.1? I will upload it to night for testing...
    Last edited by LetMeKnow; 06-19-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    I did test it with the Asus stock firmware before and in fact the data was still there. I will test it again sometime to reconfirm, haha...
    You are KILLING me here! I thought I finally had confirmation for this! Will I really have to flash my tablet back to stock just to get that thorn out off my side??? Aaaaaaarrghhhh

Developer
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    You are KILLING me here! I thought I finally had confirmation for this! Will I really have to flash my tablet back to stock just to get that thorn out off my side??? Aaaaaaarrghhhh
    I will test the new flashable zip tonight and have no problem to reconfirm about the Asus stock. It is always nice to have someone to double check your works, hehe...

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Hi Alf,

The four icons you have are just fine. Your firmware looks to be right to me as the TF300 has only been updated by Asus to 4.2 which has the four icons you refer to.

If your TF is on 4.2 you should then see the four icons you describe
    Just want to clarify -- 4.2.1 has 3 icons. RCK, Android and Wipe Data. I think ICS 4.0 had the 4.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks for all the comments and feedback - it's beginning to look like I may have to start afresh. Letmeknow you indicated that you thought it was the Logitech Harmony program that caused the problem. I was wondering about that since it occurred right after I'd been working on the program and shut down the tablet. Do you have any idea why this might be the case? You stated "If you have a working logitech romote program or app, you may want to try pushing it to your device to replace the non-working one to see if you are able to boot back your system." what exactly do you mean by that and how do I do it?

Developer
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfKatz View Post
    Thanks for all the comments and feedback - it's beginning to look like I may have to start afresh. Letmeknow you indicated that you thought it was the Logitech Harmony program that caused the problem. I was wondering about that since it occurred right after I'd been working on the program and shut down the tablet. Do you have any idea why this might be the case? You stated "If you have a working logitech romote program or app, you may want to try pushing it to your device to replace the non-working one to see if you are able to boot back your system." what exactly do you mean by that and how do I do it?
    I don't know what the logitech remote thing is but if you modified it and it had an issue, you rebooted your device and running into the stuck bootloop. I guessed that it is the culprit. In adb, you can push the files to where they are resided on the data partition. If it is an app, I believed that you can push it to your device to install it too. I hope that helps...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links