Thread: TF300T stuck in bootloop - won't turn off

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times

TF300T stuck in bootloop - won't turn off

Hello, I'm new to posting on this forum though have found answers to problems before and am very thankful that you guys are here! Yesterday my TF300T (usually on a dock, but not for now) transformer got stuck in a bootloop and I've tried to work with it to no avail through most of yesterday. I'm finding myself getting very confused by some terms in this forum that I don't understand (and yes, I have read the Master Guide) and by trying to match my issues to those of others in order to find a solution. I've finally registered so I could post my particular set of circumstances. Not trying to reinvent the wheel, just to simplify down to what I'm looking at. I have done the cold reboot several times, I've downloaded the latest firmware update to my Windows 7 computer and copied it (after extracting) to a Fat32 formatted SD card. When I'm following the instructions for doing this, I immediately can't follow exactly as I can't get the tablet to turn off after I insert the SD card. I've been able to determine that the bootloop lasts about six minutes, then starts all over again. I am running JellyBean 4.2.1 (I was able to get an OTA update last December after going through a recommended procedure for clearing DMClient & CMClient data & cache). At this moment, my tablet is plugged into its USB cable but not charging and it's sitting on the ASUS logo graphic. I'm trying very hard to stay calm and not throw this thing in the trash but after weeks of sluggish performance, programs not responding and generally being annoying, this is just almost too much. Any help/guidance that can be offered to reclaim this very expensive toy would be truly appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Hi DBT

Could you tell us what you were doing previous to the bootloop. Were you performing an update?

See if you can successfully power off the device so that it will not turn back on. Do this by holding the power button.

Now try to boot into the bootloader by holding both the power and volume down buttons at the same time. Stop holding them when it if you see a screen with either three or 4 icons on it.

If you can do that then the tablet can be saved. You will likely lose your files but apps can be redownloaded from your account.

If you can get to the bootloader tell is and we can then let you know the procedure to install the operating system again.

Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Gtanner00, thanks so much for the response!

At the time the bootloop started, I had brought the screen up from sleep (this was first thing in the morning) and it was being sluggish in responding. I have to admit, I tapped on the touchscreen several times as well as the touchpad, waiting for a response. That's when it began a boot procedure. I didn't think much of that, just let it come up, then went to access an app and was using the app when the screen went black and another boot process began. It went downhill from there.

As I said in my previous post, one of my problems that I see is that I can't turn the tablet off so that it is truly OFF. When I hold the power button to bring up the screen that gives the option to turn the tablet off, I touch that option, then get the notice that my tablet will now turn off, I touch "OK" and it seems to begin the power off process. Unfortunately, it doesn't complete the action before the six minutes is up (remember I mentioned that this bootloop seems to bring the tablet up for six minutes, then begins again?) so the loop cycle restarts.

So, no, I can't turn it off.

I have booted into the bootloader several times, in the manner that you described. Most of those times, I moved over to the android robot and activated that which, I think, didn't give the desired result, though the tablet did boot up to a normal screen again ......... and then six minutes later, it began the bootloop.

Most recently, I booted into the bootloader and activated the RCK (?) icon which I think is recovery??. That resulted in a dead android robot, but about 10 minutes later, the tablet once again booted to a normal screen ......... and then six minutes later, once again began the bootloop. Are we sick of this word yet? :-\

I hope this answers the question, if it isn't clear or I can provide additional info, please let me know. I do so appreciate the help. I just don't know what else to try.

Thanks!

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Interesting problem, Dr. Watson...
    Did you install any new apps recently? Funny that it would throw this fit without any reason...

Since you are on stock with a locked bootloader and as long as you can get into the bootloader menu (the screen with 3 icons), I think you have exactly two options:

1) try a firmware update again
    I suspect you did not rename the once unzipped firmware file to EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip before you copied it to the microSD - did you?
    That done you boot into the bootloader, push Volume Up on the flashing RCK (which is your recovery - yes) and let it to it's thing.

2) Wipe Data from the bootloader
    Boot into the bootloader, push Volume Down twice until Wipe Data is selected, then Volume Up to execute. It will reboot by itself once it's done.

I would try 1) first. If it is successful and you still can't boot, you may have to do 2) anyway.
    Make sure your tablet is connected to a power source. You don't want to run out of juice in the middle of either procedure!!!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, darn. Thanks for all the suggestions droidbound. The most recent app I have installed is 1Weather, but that was several days ago. I have been having intermittent issues with not being able to turn the tablet off successfully for awhile now so I had just been leaving it on and waking it up when I was ready to use it. It's also been more and more sluggish. Don't know if that means anything or not. It bothers me that I can't turn it off. In fact, the "restart" option has never worked since it appeared with the upgrade to 4.2.1.

I've tried the firmware update 3 more times. All seemed successful but the tablet is still bootlooping. Yes, I did rename the once-unzipped firmware file to EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip BUT I wasn't sure I had done it before I copied to the SD card, so I redid everything and made sure to follow that instruction. Still looping. I've tried it docked and undocked, that probably didn't matter, but had to see.

I guess I'm going to have to resort to the Wipe Data command. I have some pictures I really hate to lose but can't figure out a way to save them before I wipe them out. :-( Can't do it tonight, just too tired and disappointed. Will update tomorrow.
    '

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times
    UPDATE: I did the Data Wipe, looks like I may have my tablet back. It's no longer in a boot-loop and I've been able to do a re-start successfully. It has even reloaded all of my apps, and it is still on Jellybean 4.2.1, so my pictures are the only thing lost. Now, if I can get Daylight Savings Time, I will be just about back to useful. Thanks for the help provided.
    frenziedfemale likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links