Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

boot loop EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p8)

Hello,

This is where I'm stuck : My tablet goes on and on in an infinite boot loop.
    Seems to me I have corrupted data.
    My tablet has never been modified/flashed/rooted/unblocked or anything.
    A bunch a photos and vids are still on it, not backed up yet. So wipe data and other extrem solution are... well, not possible.
    Trying to use the recovery software lead to a dead android on its back...
    I can use adb (only for 8 to 10 sec) before it starts again.
    But it was enough time to erase all possible software from this tablet (in data/app) using adb scripts (in 7 or 8 times).
    I've managed, after many attempts (need to be very fast though - 8 seconds is not much), to enable usb debugging.
    APX mode works, but NvFlash/FlatLine only works on unlocked tablets and the unlocking process seems to wipe data (asus don't mention it on its site but some users in others forum have experienced it)
    Fastboot mode works.... but I cannot do much in fastboot mode. I could reformat but I need to save my data first.

With the following command
    C:>\ADB\adb shell dumpstate > dumpstate.log
    I get a file called dumpstate.log containing : (only the interesting bits cause the log is quite long)

<4>[ 6.747763] EXT4-fs warning (device mmcblk0p8): ext4_clear_journal_err:4180: Filesystem error recorded from previous mount: IO failure
    <4>[ 6.747906] EXT4-fs warning (device mmcblk0p8): ext4_clear_journal_err:4181: Marking fs in need of filesystem check.
    <4>[ 6.752117] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p8): warning: mounting fs with errors, running e2fsck is recommended
    <6>[ 6.756333] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p8): recovery complete
    <6>[ 6.760574] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p8): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: nomblk_io_submit,errors=panic

but with this one
    C:>\ADB > adb pull /proc/last_kmsg
    I get a bit more informations, in a file called last_kmsg containing : (again, only the interesting bits cause the log is quite long. The spelling mistakes and others funny signs and letters are not mine : that's how it is in the logfile....)

[...]
    [ 5.164877] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p8): recovery complete
    [ 5.169014] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p8): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opds8 nomblk^)o_3ubmhp,errors=panic
    [...]
    [ 43.503358] EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p8): ext4_ext_check_inode:403: inode #1630554: comm e.process.gapps: bad header/extent: invalid extent entries - magic f30a, entries 2, max 4(4), depth 0(0)
    [ 43.503663] Aborting journal on device mmcblk0p8-8.
    [ 43.507856] Kernel panic - not syncing: EXT4-fs (device mmcblk0p8): panic forced after error
    [...]
    [ 4?.5??899\ Re`ooting in 10 seaonds..

I'm fairly new to android, but "Kernel Panic" in that last log doesn't sound good to me.
    Question is : what is comm e.process.gapps ? Is this the corrupted bit ? Is there a way I can fix it ? or delete it ?
    Is It possible to interfere with the booting process and skip de mmcblk0p8 device from mounting in an attempt to reach a stable state and work from there?
    The log mentions e2fsck : is this the equivalent of the windows chkdsk for android and if so, how do we use it ? (true, I could google it, but it's 4am, so maybe tomorrow)
    I've been on that problem (on and off) for several weeks now, so any help or suggestions to save my data or fix this mounting (or data) error are very welcome.
    Thanks
    Last edited by hill_piper; 05-08-2014 at 08:58 PM.

Developer
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hill_piper View Post
    Hello,

This is where I'm stuck : My tablet goes on and on in an infinite boot loop.
    Seems to me I have corrupted data.
    My tablet has never been modified/flashed/rooted/unblocked or anything.
    A bunch a photos and vids are still on it, not backed up yet. So wipe data and other extrem solution are... well, not possible.
    Trying to use the recovery software lead to a dead android on its back...
    I can use adb (only for 8 to 10 sec) before it starts again.
    But it was enough time to erase all possible software from this tablet (in data/app) using adb scripts (in 7 or 8 times).
    I've managed, after many attempts (need to be very fast though - 8 seconds is not much), to enable usb debugging.
    APX mode works, but NvFlash/FlatLine only works on unlocked tablets and the unlocking process seems to wipe data (asus don't mention it on its site but some users in others forum have experienced it)
    Fastboot mode works.... but I cannot do much in fastboot mode. I could reformat but I need to save my data first.

With the following command
    C:>\ADB\adb shell dumpstate > dumpstate.log
    I get a file called dumpstate.log containing : (only the interesting bits cause the log is quite long)

<4>[ 6.747763] EXT4-fs warning (device mmcblk0p8): ext4_clear_journal_err:4180: Filesystem error recorded from previous mount: IO failure
    <4>[ 6.747906] EXT4-fs warning (device mmcblk0p8): ext4_clear_journal_err:4181: Marking fs in need of filesystem check.
    <4>[ 6.752117] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p8): warning: mounting fs with errors, running e2fsck is recommended
    <6>[ 6.756333] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p8): recovery complete
    <6>[ 6.760574] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p8): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: nomblk_io_submit,errors=panic

but with this one
    C:>\ADB > adb pull /proc/last_kmsg
    I get a bit more informations, in a file called last_kmsg containing : (again, only the interesting bits cause the log is quite long. The spelling mistakes and others funny signs and letters are not mine : that's how it is in the logfile....)

[...]
    [ 5.164877] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p8): recovery complete
    [ 5.169014] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p8): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opds8 nomblk^)o_3ubmhp,errors=panic
    [...]
    [ 43.503358] EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p8): ext4_ext_check_inode:403: inode #1630554: comm e.process.gapps: bad header/extent: invalid extent entries - magic f30a, entries 2, max 4(4), depth 0(0)
    [ 43.503663] Aborting journal on device mmcblk0p8-8.
    [ 43.507856] Kernel panic - not syncing: EXT4-fs (device mmcblk0p8): panic forced after error
    [...]
    [ 4?.5??899\ Re`ooting in 10 seaonds..

I'm fairly new to android, but "Kernel Panic" in that last log doesn't sound good to me.
    Question is : what is comm e.process.gapps ? Is this the corrupted bit ? Is there a way I can fix it ? or delete it ?
    Is It possible to interfere with the booting process and skip de mmcblk0p8 device from mounting in an attempt to reach a stable state and work from there?
    The log mentions e2fsck : is this the equivalent of the windows chkdsk for android and if so, how do we use it ? (true, I could google it, but it's 4am, so maybe tomorrow)
    I've been on that problem (on and off) for several weeks now, so any help or suggestions to save my data or fix this mounting (or data) error are very welcome.
    Thanks
    You could try to go to recovery so you have enough time to pull your files with adb. You could try this adb cmd: "adb pull /data/media" to see if it works out for you, good luck...

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links