Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

New info - please reread: tf300t suddenly boots & powers up into APX mode every time

I have an unlocked, rooted tf300t running ICS v9.4.3.30 (US) with TWRP v2.5.0.0 (yes, never took the leap to JB!). I'd run nvflash to make the backups back when it was on ICS v9.4.3.17 and was still
    on the AndroidRoot v9.4.3.30r01 bootloader. It was "fine" for a year and nothing had been flashed or updated in the past week or two.

Two days ago I rebooted it using Terminal Emulator (due to playing a game that causes graphics to get flaky and a reboot fixes it). Screen went black and nothing... Finally realized it was in APX mode and
    now I have to run nvflash to reboot it (issue the --go command while holding the vol down button to get it to cold-boot). The boot menu doesn't show, though I can hit the vol up button to get into
    TWRP or just let it cold-boot into ICS.

I updated to v9.4.3.30 using TWRP install to see if that fixed my problem, but no change. I'd never notice before but the SKU on the bootloader is WW. Shouldn't it be US since I have a US SKU and
    installed that version of v9.4.3.30?
    To be sure, I then flashed blob.EBT in nvflash to make sure the bootloader really was updated and again no change (same problem, same WW SKU). Finally tried
    flashing blob.EBT, blob.APP, blob.LNX, and TWRP as one unbricking guide suggested. Still no change. Update: In reading even more posts, I see another showing:

The Device is UnLocked
    Android cardhu-user bootloader <2.10 e> released by "US_epad-9.4.3.30-20120604" A03
    Checking for android ota recovery

I see the exact same except I have "WW_epad-9.4.3.30-20120604" which makes me think the bootloader isn't getting updated correctly & still the original AndroidRoot version which became
    corrupted? I also double checked the blob I'm flashing via a hex editor and it shows it has a US SKU! So does that mean nvflash isn't truly flashing it?

I'm tempted to do a rawdevicewrite of the bricksafe.img file in nvflash, but not sure if that'll make matters worse. On XDA, one recommendation was to reformat the MSC partition (reasoning being "It holds
    commands for the bootloader, for eaxample "recovery", etc. Cleaning it might make your bootloader behave. Might.").

Should I try the reformat - just worry about reformatting a partition! Try the rawdevicewrite, or ?

I'm at a loss and getting worn out reading for solutions...thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by Wha2do; 02-19-2014 at 10:43 AM. Reason: See bold text: possible exact problem identified?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, I think if indeed the bootloader is corrupted I've found my flashes of a new one aren't taking. I tried nvflashing blob.EBT, blob.SOS, blob.LNX, and then blob.APP from the stock v9.4.3.30
    update (all in same nvflash session) and all listed as successful. The rest did take...but wasn't sure about blob.EBT. I expected to see the US_epad version (and I've checked the blobs
    with a hex editor and they indeed have the US SKU).

I ended up sideloading v9.4.3.17 in TWRP and saw the bootloader version stayed the same (WW_epad-v9.4.3.30). With a stock recovery back in place, I tried to see if I could take an OTA
    back to v9.4.3.30, but said no updates were available. Ended up sideloading v9.4.3.30 and am back to where I was...

I also let the tablet battery run down completely, charged fully over night hoping something might "reset", but no go...

Last thing I'll be trying later is a factory reset via TWRP (read try doing it three times to be sure) and reload v9.4.3.30. If not, looks like I have two options: 1) try the reformat of the MSC partition
    and/or do an nvflash rawdevicewrite of the bricksafe.img file. Just worried with both that it'll create more issues (being very careful since at least I can still get into APX, ADB, and ultimately boot up).

Any recommendations/suggestions on how to get blob.EBT to flash successfully or which step to try next? Please, please, please...lol!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, just about at a loss of what more to try and not getting any new ideas or input *sigh*. I've tried:
    - From nvflash, format_partition 12 (Misc partition) but didn't leave it w/all zeros - not sure if that's to be expected? And then
    flashed blob.ebt from nvflash but didn't take (again known by checking the SKU on boot up)

- Format_partition 12 twice, download v9.4.3.30 blob to staging (partition 13), and reboot from nvflash. Saw the blue progress
    bar (though seemed to go fast at the end). I know at least part updated because had to reflash TWRP, but rest was same. I
    wonder if doing a format_partition 13 would help any before flashing the blob (if this will only "clear" out the partition?)...

My thought is that I need the equivalent of "fastboot erase xxx" in either nvflash or adb to truly clear everything. Then
    try flashing the full blob again...

Last resorts is either try:
    - Via linux where appears I might be able to use fastboot there (not positive, if can't get into fastboot mode) using:

[NvFlash] [Recovery] With [Generated Blobs][TF300T]

or just do a nvflash --resume --rawdevicewrite 0 2944 bricksafe.img and try to go from there

I just don't want to get myself where I can't even boot via nvflash, even as tedious as this method is! No takers on
    ideas or suggestions??

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Well, I am not familiar with nvflash so I can't help you there. I always recommend that users with corrupted drives do a FORMAT DATA in TWRP (accessed from the wipe button ) this is more than a factory reset and will reformat all partitions except recovery.

Now since you are on an ICS bootloader, I would suggest you move to the latest jellybean one as ICS is so old that you might not be able to get any help with it and definitely run the risk of flashing a jellybean ROM not meant for your bootloader

In regards to your SKU, I would simply go with what the bootloader says. If it says WW then simply flash a WW update and assume that you have somehow switched SKUs.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Be advised that when you start over again on jellybean 4.2.1 you need a TWRP marked with -4.2 or you risk lots of problems

*I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    Well, I am not familiar with nvflash so I can't help you there. I always recommend that users with corrupted drives do a FORMAT DATA in TWRP (accessed from the wipe button ) this is more than a factory reset and will reformat all partitions except recovery.

Now since you are on an ICS bootloader, I would suggest you move to the latest jellybean one as ICS is so old that you might not be able to get any help with it and definitely run the risk of flashing a jellybean ROM not meant for your bootloader

In regards to your SKU, I would simply go with what the bootloader says. If it says WW then simply flash a WW update and assume that you have somehow switched SKUs.

I neglected to say I had already tried updating manually to v10.4.2.9 (heard was best to use the first JB update and update to newest afterwards). It appeared to update,
    but then got hung up in booting (and still no bootloader menu). I can only think once again the bootloader didn't update, so the tablet was trying to boot JB on
    an ICS bootloader.

Can I try loading updates w/the WW SKU even though my s/w has always been US (has shown US_epad under Settings, About Tablet, Build Number from day 1)?

That gets me wondering if the bootloader SKU mismatch is stopping me from a fully successful update? The WW bootloader SKU is presumably the patched bootloader
    created by the AndroidRoot team. It was flashed when I ran their nvflash backup process and hadn't given any problems for over a year. Can see the details
    on the nvflash backup process here:

https://www.androidroot.mobi/pages/g...guide-nvflash/

I'll try doing a US JB update again and see. Will first flash stock v9.4.3.30 recovery blob.SOS, put US_epaduser_10_4_2_9_UpdateLauncher on my /sdcard, and update.
    If that doesn't go, will try pushing the blob to staging in nvflash & see if that goes... If it doesn't create other issues & these first two don't work, I can try the
    WW_epaduser_10_4_2_9UpdateLauncher update instead...

And thanks for the response - makes sense about ICS support... And very difficult to get nvflash support. I've tried XDA where the AndroidRoot team (developers of
    the nvflash backup process) at least used to monitor posts, but no response. I did have two other users providing suggestions which I've mentioned/tried above.

Also will make sure the version of TWRP matches the JB version if it updates properly!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links