Thread: TF300T misbehaving

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    2 times

TF300T misbehaving

This babied, little used TF300T has become randomly unusable. Hard to describe but here goes:

It locked up again last night after reading in bed for a few minutes using Adobe Reader on the un-docked tablet. After rebooting, it would alternate between locking up, flashing the recently used apps display flashing the 'Choose wallpaper from' screen (which it is doing now as I write with it beside me, resting on a home screen) and starting and shutting down apps randomly.

This is not the first time it has done this and, needless to say, if I want it to display this behaviour to show someone else (like an ASUS tech) I can not. I just can't isolate the cause.

Android is v4.2.1; kernel v3.1.10-g6f31760; battery is fully charged; WiFi is not on; MicroSD is inserted; in a simple leather case; very few apps loaded. Any other details needed here? It seems to have never happened while docked - so far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Have you ever dropped the Transformer, tossed it on the couch, etc. -- sometimes the ribbon cable for the digitizer can become loose and you will see weird behaviour. You could go to settings>Developer Options>(reply OK) scroll down to Show Touches - enable this option and your tablet will display a "white circle" wherever the digitizer detects a touch. "Ghost touches" have shown up when the ribbon cable is loose, and you will see the "Spots" appear if that is the case. The tablet will execute these ghost touches in error. This is my take on the possible problem.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for reply, Swipe.

This Transformer has been in cotton wool its entire existence and has never even come close to being dropped. It's getting closer though; drop-kicked that is ;-)
    While my Galaxy S3 Android v4.1.2 has Developer Options, the TF v4.2.1 does not.

You are right in that it seems to be touching itself.

What is the solution? Even though I'm hardware literate, I can't see me opening the TF any time soon to re-seat that ribbon cable. And I don't want to lose everything if I take it to an ASUS service centre.

As I write, it was sitting next to me touching itself (I like saying that :-). As a test, I docked it. That seems to fix the problem. For how long, I don't know. I'll leave it docked while I try to read some more of my Windows 8 Admin Guide pdf. If nothing else, it's an instant cure for insomnia. Unless I get angry at the TF.

Cheers for now.
    Swipe likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    2 times
    Well I have isolated the problem.

Just touching the case of the tablet sets it off. Not squeezing it or touching the screen but just the metal edge or even the back of the case with one finger does it. No pressure in any direction is necessary.

This has rendered the device unusable so I guess it will have to go to the ASUS techs.

Has anyone else experienced this behaviour? Luckily it's a low voltage device otherwise I would be worried about being electrocuted.

:'(

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    501 times
    I agree it sounds like it needs to go to the techs. To enable developer options on your tablet, go to settings-about phone-build number and tap here about 7 times then developer options will be available.
    Rman likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    2 times
    This Forum is sick and that bit of knowledge, which can't be called anything but arcane, is awesome. Thank you ff AND Swipe and congratulations.

Once I turned on Show Touches I can see eight or so almost every time I go near the case and also when I touch the back/home/recent apps icons bottom left. One of the touches is right on top of the Recent Apps icon.

Disappointing but warranty should cover a 6-month old ASUS. But I'll probably lose my contents.

How's Archie doing?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    2 times
    For the edification of anyone interested, I managed to capture a screenshot of this issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    2 times
    ASUS Support instructed me to do a hard reset/cold boot, whatever. I did a refresh and an AppBackup first and when that did not solve my issue I performed the reset. That didn't fix anything either. I didn't think it would since it is so obviously a hardware issue. The tablet is now at the ASUS Service Centre facing a 7 to 10 working-day stay. Will update with result.

As an aside, I tried to do an AppBackup restore but, like many others have reported, it would not accept the password

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    2 times
    Tablet was returned by courier (at AUSUS' expense) after only 4 work-days. The tablet was definitely faulty and covered by warranty. So far it is working perfectly and I am doing my best to restore it to its pre-reset state. Made more difficult than needs be by AppBackup password rejection issue.

The delivery docket stated a part was replaced, the issue having been "Touchscreen misaction". The part in question is the "Touchscreen control", part [90R-OK0GTC10000W] TF300T TOUCHPAD_CON_BD./A - for what it's worth.

I hope this helps someone and that it is the end of this thread.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Rman,
    Thanks for reporting - because I'm experiencing the exact same problem with my TF300T.
    Interestingly, I had (for some time) the impression that UNdocking did solve the problem ...
    Anyway, I'll send it to ASUS with reference to your findings.

Regards, Maarten

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links