Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How do you turn tablet ON or wake up from Sleep mode when docked?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300TG (3G)
    Liked
    6 times

How do you turn tablet ON or wake up from Sleep mode when docked?

Yes it sounds like a stuoid question BUT to day I connected the dock to my tablet for the first time and as I did it 'woke up' from SLEEP mode at the same time.
    Shortly after it (seemed to) automatically went into sleep mode. I pressed the key on the far right side (top) of keyboard as the manual stated it was to "Lock the ASUS Transformer Pad and put it into sleep mode" as I could not find any other key described as "Start tablet". NOTHING happened, the tablet remained off (or in sleep mode).
    I undocked the keyboard and the tablet "woke up" instantly.
    I redocked the keyboard and pressed the "Lock" button and it appeared to go into sleep mode BUT once again I could not 'wake' it.

Please advise how to both POWER UP and 'wake' from sleep mode when docked.

Thanks

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Hi jp

As I have intimated in other posts, the Transformer range appears to have a bug (not universally experienced, maybe, but it is there nonetheless) which manifests itself in docked combos & when in sleep mode.

The reason your pad "woke up" from sleep when you connected it to the dock was because it was connected to a new power source.

The bug I am talking about shows when the combo is allowed to go into sleep mode while docked. This often revolves - together with random reboots, sudden battery drain, sleep of death issues - around keeping a SD card in the dock. The other thing that triggers it - even without an SD card, is leaving the docked combo in sleep mode.

The only 100% safe approach to take is this...
    1) do not leave the tablet & dock connected & asleep when not in use
    2) only connect the two while they are awake ("I need to do some typing now, I'll connect the dock") - disconnect them when you have finished using them
    3) try to see the Transformer as a tablet that has a keyboard dock accessory that is only used (the dock) when required. The device was not designed as a laptop with a detachable screen.

Some posters may well hold the view (understandably so) that what I have described shouldn't be the case. I hold no view on that either way - all I am trying to do is advise you on a practical approach which seems to be reliable to prevent system lock ups, unwanted battery drain and so forth.

Hope that helps & all the best
    Spacebridge likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    84 times
    I went through that same problem with my dock and had to do exactly that, treat it like a tablet and not like a notebook or mini laptop which by the way looked so Cooooool

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300TG (3G)
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks for the quick reply Janner. Much appreciated.

Wow the more I use my new tablet and the more I read of 'issues' the more I wonder if I should have spent my hard earned money of something else.

I always thought that Asus was a reliable brand (of anything IT)

I wonder if they are trying to address all these 'issues' with new models?

Oh STUPID me. I must be getting too old for this or too tired. I just realised that the on/off button is accessible even with it docked! And guess what happened when I pressed it? You guessed it, it work up from sleep mode and displayed the home screen.

I think that I will have to go to bed. My only excuse - I 'grew up' on PCs and have used Windows based desktop PCs for the last 15 years and so portable PCs running on Android is completely new to me.
    I am afraid to admit that I worked in the IT industry for over 30 years and once was an analyst/programmer and even wrote some programs in Assembler language! Oops!
    Last edited by jparnold; 08-04-2013 at 04:15 AM. Reason: correction to question

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    248 times
    I'm not worried about leaving the tablet and dock connected. I just take a couple of precautions:
    1) Before leaving them connected (on a long flight, or over night), make sure the tablet is preferably fully charged. At least it must be well above 70% charged, because if it dips below that it'll start charging from the dock and that uses more juice (it's being woken up), and if left alone over night or for a ten-hour flight it'll empty the dock. But this is _not_ a problem if the tablet is reasonably fully charged first.
    2) When plugging the tablet into the dock I open it, I put the tablet to sleep, then I close it. Then I leave it.

-Tor
    Last edited by Tor; 08-04-2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: typo

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    98 times
    jparnold- yup, the power button is the power button whether the tablet is docked or not! No big deal. An Android device, thank heavens, is different from a Windows device. I, for one, find those differences quite pleasant.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    About six hours ago I put two things to sleep. One of them was me. I left my tablet docked and pressed the power button for approx. 1.5 seconds after which the screen went blank. After 6 hours my dock battery indicator (I use the app Dual Battery Widget) shows I have lost 1% of the dock juice. The tablet likewise shows a similar loss of get-up-and-go.

I had a TF101 for 2 years and also never found the dock draining away in sleep mode. I think before one takes the advice my esteemed colleague Janner43 advocates one should check the performance of his or her combo in dreamland.

What he described is a suggested response to a scenario that you may encounter. Whether it happens to your particular Transformer or not I recommend downloading CPU SPY from the Play store. It will indicate whether your tablet enters deep sleep or not.

Try not to worry to much about issues that may affect only a small percentage of these tablets. That's where the helpful members of this forum come in handy. We've got a lot of members with extensive experience who assist each other.
    Last edited by Swipe; 08-04-2013 at 07:12 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    2 times
    Momentarily (quickly) press the POWER ON/OFF button.

Pete

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300TG (3G)
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks Swipe

It might then seem that in sleep mode the battery 'life' might be at least a few days.

I must say you live in a really great place. Visited there last October (Granville Island, Stanley Park, Lions Gate, Capilano, Grouse Mountain, float plane scenic flight etc etc etc). It is almost as good as Sydney
    Last edited by jparnold; 08-04-2013 at 04:22 PM. Reason: add text

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Just to give the right balance here, let me say that I agree with all the posters in this thread (myself included).

The Transformer format/model/design is a very clever thing & works well. There is no question but that the way Tor & Swipe describe their handling is the way it should be & is what most owners experience.

The existence of the bug I described - as Spacebridge posts - cannot be questioned, however. Neither can the lack of a permanent fix for the problem other than that which I posted.

At the end of the day, in common with all technology from all manufacturers, nothing is perfect. Asus' products are no worse than anyone else's - Samsung, HTC, Sony, Toshiba, Motorola, Acer (even Apple have their share of manufacturing issues). If what you want is a Transforming device then look no further than the Asus Transformer range - that has been & will continue to be my advice here, albeit balanced by a brand-agnostic view of other products that are available - particularly when the "transforming" is not required.

Cheers all

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links