Thread: How long does a 'cold' start normally take to startup

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300TG (3G)
    Liked
    6 times

How long does a 'cold' start normally take to startup

Just did a search for this but didn't find anything.
    I have a new TF300TG and not sure if it has a problem with the on/off button.

Given that the manual states to press and hold the on/off button for 1.5 seconds how long after doing this should I see something (the ASUS trademark) to appear on the screen?

I realise that most computers take some time for something to appear on the screen after a COLD boot but I I have been pressing and holding the button for 1.5 seconds, waiting quite a few seconds and then when nothing appears pressing again and I am wondering if I am expecting the start up to start faster than it normally does (or I have a faulty on/off button). Although having said that when the tablet goes into sleep mode a quick press of the on/off button brings it 'to life' immediately which suggests the switch is ok.

Thanks

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    94 times
    I think if I am understanding you are pressing and not releasing the button . Try pressing a couple seconds then release the button it should boot up shortly . I know I have to press a little longer with my tf300 than my Nexus 7 .
    Last edited by Wallydog; 07-27-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300TG (3G)
    Liked
    6 times
    As I said in my initial post I am pressing and holding the on/off button for 1.5 seconds. What that means is that after 1.5 seconds I RELEASE the button.

I am attempting to find out is how many seconds after releasing the button should I see something appear on the screen to indicate that start up is in progress.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    689 times
    I don't have the 300 but do have the TF101 and Infinity 700. On both of these there is a delay of about 2-3 seconds before any type of logo appears after you press the start button. On the TF101 the start button has to be held down longer about 3-4 seconds (then let go). Then another 2-3 seconds of nothing before finally the eee pad Asus appears. On the Infinity the start button only has to be held down about a second or two (definitely not as long as the TF101). And it still has a couple second delay before the Asus logo appears to begin booting up. I never have liked the hesitancy during start up on either device. You are always wondering for that couple seconds did I press the start long enough or not enough? That is why I rarely shut down, only when the devices need a fresh restart.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    94 times
    I just timed my TF300T it took 2 seconds to go to the Asus logo , altogether it took 1minute 5 seconds to get to the home screen . I am not using a dock and do not know if that would make a difference.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300TG (3G)
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks for your replies.

The tablet now seems to display the ASUS symbol a short time after pressing and holding the on/off button. Still it seems to be faster than before for some unknown reason.

Maybe I was expecting too much as when starting up from 'sleep' mode it comes on instantly so maybe I should leave it in sleep mode.

Is there somewhere I can find the following?

1) How long after the screen dims does the tablet automatically go into sleep mode - I guess this is adjustable like the time before the screen dims (to save power).

2) Is the claimed Battery 'life' when connected to the dock (14 hours) when in sleep mode or when continuously used.

Thanks again

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    I have never found a setting which allows you to control when the device enters sleep mode. Screen time on - yes. Sleep mode - no.

Battery life times are a "movable feast" - it depends on what you are doing, whether you have a docked combo which is behaving normally, wifi / radio settings, email settings, app settings, screen brightness... You get the idea.

So, the "claimed 14 hours" is essentially going to be a pretty optimum length of time achieved in use, but with settings set to optimise battery life. On standby - sleep mode - the battery/ies could easily last for days if they only drop by the normal 2-3% in an 8 hour period. More than a few folks find that leaving the combo docked & asleep can be a recipe for sudden & rapid battery drain, so the advice often proffered is to separate the two when not in use in order to prevent that possibility. At the end of the day, the Transformer range was designed as a tablet with a keyboard dock accessory - not as a "separable laptop/netbook".

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300TG (3G)
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks Janner,

Yes I was aware WiFi, screen brightness etc affects battery life. I was mainly interested on the battery life during sleep mode. Do these settings affect battery life in sleep mode (obviously screen brightness doesn't as it is off in sleep mode)?

Until today I was not aware of the fact that the TF300TG has GPS built in although I thought that it might when I first opened Google Earth and it started at my home location. That is great as I thought that I would need to use my external bluetooth device (which I used to use with my ageing pocket PC). That begs another question - is there an app for SatNav?

Can GPS be turned off - does it affect battery life?

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Good morning (well it is morning here...)

Sleep mode should mean that your device is asleep - until it is woken up. This can be by the user "turning it on" or - and this is what catches many folks out - by an app that is running and which wakes the device up. Apps that are in that category are things like email apps that may check for mail on a regular timed basis. When they kick in, the device wakes from sleep (screen still off, probably) does whatever the app concerned wants to do & then eventually goes back to sleep again.

So consequently, leaving wifi on when the screen is off may prevent a device from ever settling into "deep sleep" as it may get regularly stirred into action by an app or two (or more )

The same thing would apply to your 3G connection, or GPS / Location Services. Which is a good point to answer that question - GPS turning on only happens when it is needed for an app - Google Maps is one, a weather widget set to use your location would be another. Other than that, it is in "standby".

As far as "SatNav" apps go, then yes there are several to choose from. Google Maps is used by many - and with your 3G connectivity you could also make use of it as you would have a data connection while mobile. An alternative free app with downloadable maps - which doesn't therefore need a data connection - is an app called NavFree.

Other paid services are also available - TomTom, Sygic, CoPilot all spring to mind. Personally, I use NavFree - the price is superb , it doesn't need a data connection & it has always proved reliable for me.

All the best

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300TG (3G)
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks Janner for the advice on apps which may wake up periodically such as email.

I like the price of NavFree also and so will check it out.

I would prefer to use an app which uses the GPS rather than 3G as 3G also costs money to use (date use) and I will be using it internationally and therefore paying fairly high data costs.

Thanks again Have a good morning I will be going to bed (night) in a couple of hours.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links