Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By AndyCAPP
  • 3 Post By eejit

Thread: Keyboard started smoking at dock connection to pad.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    2 times

Keyboard started smoking at dock connection to pad.

I doubt there is any way to solve my problem but I thought I would make a post and see if anyone else had a similar experience. I use my pad and keyboard together all the time, I charge them together and very rarely separate them from each other. I have had my tablet for about a year or so and have never had any problems with it at all, until now. A couple days ago I was charging my unit and had it setting next to me while I was watching TV. I noticed a smell of burning plastic and looked down to see a whisp of smoke come up from the left most connector prong where the keyboard and tablet meet. So if you were to look at it open it would be the post on the left, not the center charger/data port or the right hand side. I disconnected it at once and unhooked the charger as well.

Some time later I thought I would hook it back up and see if it was some fluke, that is to say I reconnected the tablet to the keyboard, not the charging cable. After a few moments (with my nose buried in the thing) I noticed the burnt smell again and disconnected it again. I then tried to charge the tablet directly and not use the keyboard, this works just fine. Long story short my tablet works awesome just as it always did but the keyboard seems to be done.

I am curious what I could have done wrong to cause this situation and if I should just buy another one or can I get my keyboard dock replaced?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    501 times
    Yikes!!! Is there any chance that you got moisture on your dock? You should contact ASUS and see what they have to say. Don't use the dock again!!!!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    2 times
    No way was there any liquid in it, I inspected it and I don't see why there would be this problem as nothing looks messed up. Also I don't think power is delivered via that prong I think it goes through the middle port so I am not sure what is going on. I have not tried to hook it back up again because I am afraid of causing permanent damage to the tablet. Not sure where to call at ASUS, I will poke around on their site and see.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    501 times

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    25 times
    Well I left my tablet and dock charging (together) at home before I left for work this morning. Now you have me a little worried. I hope I have a home to go to tonight!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    2 times
    Yeah I have been using it like that for a year now and never had any problems, it was just out of the blue. Very good thing I was sitting right there, not sure if it would have burst into flames or not lol. I chatted with support and it sounds like they are going to do an RMA for me. I will let you guys know when I get further info. Can't do the RMA as I am at work at the moment :-)
    frenziedfemale likes this.

Asus USA Social Media Team
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyCAPP View Post
    Yeah I have been using it like that for a year now and never had any problems, it was just out of the blue. Very good thing I was sitting right there, not sure if it would have burst into flames or not lol. I chatted with support and it sounds like they are going to do an RMA for me. I will let you guys know when I get further info. Can't do the RMA as I am at work at the moment :-)
    Did they generate the RMA number for you yet? Hopefully, everything goes smoothly, but if you ever run into any issues with the RMA, shoot me e-mail to the address in my signature.
    Asus USA is a social support channel for North American purchasers. UK users requiring warranty support should contact their retailer. For other geographic locations, please check your product documentation or the Asus website for your locality and follow the support section instructions.

Transformer Forums is a privately owned "user to user" forum and is not affiliated with ASUSTeK Computer Inc in any way.

Super Moderator & Forum Sleuth
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1118 times

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AndyCAPP View Post
    My transformer keyboard dock (tf300t) is doing the same thing. I've had this one for about 8 months. The first one did the same thing without the smoke - shut down the tablet every time connected and wouldn't let the tablet start up. Asus replaced the first one on an RMA, but I had to pay for shipping. This one they tell me is out of warranty, and they issued an RMA but I will have to pay for repair.

I'm not happy with that situation. I expected that the device would work a lot longer than 8 months. Next time, I'll buy something from one of the many other tablet vendors.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links