Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

Display goes black - Asus repaired, now problem with dock

My 300t is about 8 months old, has been brilliant until now, but am currently highly reliant on it while travelling in South America and of course it chooses now to go wrong.
    I was selecting files (photos) to upload to a blog when suddenly screen went blank - black down left side, grey everywhere else except white stripe down right side. I rebooted it but left side of screen, the same part that had been black, brighter than the rest and flickering. I can use settings, file manager and some other stuff but any attempt to use a browser (chrome or browser) or to use an app (photo viewer photo editor, polaris office, financial app etc) causes screen to do the black, grey thing again so it is essentially useless (doing this on my phone)
    Running android 4.1.1
    I have submitted tech query to Asus but wonder if anyone had similar problem and if there was a known solution. I fear this may not get solved until I return to UK and send it to Asus for warranty repair.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

re: Display goes black - Asus repaired, now problem with dock

Just an update, I tried a cold reboot but it made no difference and the display is getting worse, I now have horizontal flashing as well

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1586 times
    Glad you joined but the news doesn't sound good. My guess is a hardware problem with the screen. Being that you are on the road I don't have a ton of things to suggest other than a factory reset. If that doesn't work then you will probably need to RMA it to ASUS.
    You could try taking it apart and checking the cable that attaches the display to the system board but your warranty would be voided.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    RMA'd to ASUS (excellent service) who replaced main board and the WXGA GL(LED)??

Guess it is easier for them to replace stuff than do too much diagnosis.

However it came back with a new problem (see new thread) to do with dock not being 'seen' on boot without power attached.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

Dock not recognised

My 300 just came back from ASUS with a new main board but with a new problem and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen it/had it fixed?

If I start up with no power cord attached (to the dock) - the dock isn't recognised so no second battery, no SD card, no keyboard.

If I start it with power cord attached to dock (and power on) everything works OK and after startup I can disconnect power and everything continues OK.

Tried factory reset (the power on/Vol down route) but just get a little android on his back with an exclamation mark in a red triangle

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2214 times
    Hi Peter,

First of all, I have joined your two threads together & edited the thread title for you to reflect the current situation. We try to keep related issues together & your situation doesn't really need two threads.

I think your plan of a Factory Reset is a good one - (possibly required because of the new motherboard, serial numbers & the way the OS expects to see the system, that's a guess ) - but you are pressing the volume key too soon, or up when you mean down as you are selecting recovery rather than wipe data, I think.

I suggest you take the following route...
    1. Fully charge the docked combo for a minimum of 8 hours so that both the tablet & dock are fully charged
    2. Then do the Factory Reset. Ensure you do it docked. (there is a guide on that linked from the Master Help Guide in my signature, but you will need to view this thread in a browser, not Tapatalk, to see it.)

All the best
    Last edited by janner43; 04-11-2013 at 01:06 AM.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ Android Guides - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for very helpful post. So I'm siting here with this page on one tab and your cold boot guide in another tab and below that the tablet, fully charged and dock connected.

The support guys asked me to do a factory reset, not just a cold boot. The tablet is running 4.1.1 (it says in Settings/About tablet) and I have noticed before that when I follow this procedure I get the 4 icons. Which are RCK, the android, something else and Wipe Data. The support guys tell me to use the Vol Down and Power simultaneously thing then do a Vol up push.

Once it starts it says it will cold boot in 10 seconds if no input detected. I hastily try a Vol up but get the android on his back with the exclamation mark. Of course this is booting with no power - and one of the symptoms of that is it doesn't recognise the dock. So next time I will try with power connected.

By the by - I now have an RMA number and DHL are coming to collect tomorrow.

No, its no good - I can't get anything other than the android/exclamation mark. I have done a cold boot before when I had the display problem so I'm not a complete numpty. It's ASUS's problem again now.

Thanks.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

Lightbulb Black screen error

Quote Originally Posted by Redheadpeter View Post
    My 300t is about 8 months old, has been brilliant until now, but am currently highly reliant on it while travelling in South America and of course it chooses now to go wrong.
    I was selecting files (photos) to upload to a blog when suddenly screen went blank - black down left side, grey everywhere else except white stripe down right side. I rebooted it but left side of screen, the same part that had been black, brighter than the rest and flickering. I can use settings, file manager and some other stuff but any attempt to use a browser (chrome or browser) or to use an app (photo viewer photo editor, polaris office, financial app etc) causes screen to do the black, grey thing again so it is essentially useless (doing this on my phone)
    Running android 4.1.1
    I have submitted tech query to Asus but wonder if anyone had similar problem and if there was a known solution. I fear this may not get solved until I return to UK and send it to Asus for warranty repair.

Hi there,

I've been having screen issues and was told it would be 250$ to fix. Instead I very carefully pulled the backing off and examined my tablet.
    Thats when I noticed the wire for the screen was barely disconnected except one corner was slightly lifted. After pressing the corner until feeling the click back in i then flipped it over and pressed power and it worked! works perfectly now. Had nothing to do with software at all .

Hope this helps

MiiszKelly21

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1023 times
    The OP's last post was almost 4 months ago and this appears to be a "defunct" thread. Closed for that reason.

Ads