Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

Transferring files from computer to tablet and micro sd questions

Hi,

I am a newbie. Perhaps some of you could help with these questions.

I have a TF300T Asus tablet. I also have (from an android phone) a Micro SD HC
    16GB mini sd card which fits nicely into the tablet. I have several questions:

1. I would like to use th 16 GB on the mini sd card for storing html, word, pdf and text
    files from my windows vista computer. Can this be done and how?

2. Assuming that #1 is possible, what is the best way to transfer files from my
    computer to the sd card (with the sd card in the tablet)? The sosftware Asus provided for download appears to be
    only for use with music and photo files. I need to transfer many html, pdf, word and text files from my windows Vista computer to my tablet

3. Can I somehow format the sd card to nfts and still accomplish what I need to do?

4. On a slightly different matter, I have about 8 gigs of html, pdf , etc. files which are
    hyperlinked and which are on my computer. I can usually view them fine in any
    browser locally on my computer. I would like to do this as well on the tablet. Short of
    using a local webserver, is there any software you could recommend for this?

Thanks for any suggestions, directions etc.!

Best, Phil

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1636 times
    Welcome to the forum

The best solution for getting files on and off the SD card would be to put it into your computer's card reader, however ES File Explorer can do nearly if not all of the other items on your list. It can be used to access your computer (shares) to cut or copy then paste files from the PC to the microSD card and also go in the other direction. Not sure about the PDF issue.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times

Re: Transferring files from computer to tablet and micro sd questions

I don't have an sdcard but isn't it possible to just connect the tablet with the usb cable to the computer?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk HD

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1053 times
    Welcome bestresearcher, there are a few ways to transfer -- one I find the easiest with micro sd is with a usb adapter. They also sell just the readers, both USB and full size sd adapters. Small files you can shoot over using Bluetooth, and has been mentioned ES File Explorer is a great update from the stock File Manager--allows you (not only) to share with your computer, but gives you more options when you long press any file. ie. copy to/move to etc, sort of like a right mouse click in windows. There are a few similar threads at the bottom of this page, can give you some more ideas. And yes, you can reformat the card in your computer to chuby/fat/ntfs etc. Cheers.
    TF 201 w/dock (4.1.1)
    The Master Help Guide

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2318 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yurij View Post
    I don't have an sdcard but isn't it possible to just connect the tablet with the usb cable to the computer?
    Theoretically, yes. practically speaking, however, we get many folks posting here to say they have problems doing it for many & varied reasons.

To get back to Phil's question, re PDFs etc stored on your PC. You could always use the Asus Splashtop facility to login to your PC & then access the documents, links etc that way - it is under MyCloud on the tf101.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have an old PC with windows XP and no card reader so have always just connected the tablet to the PC using the cable. The internal storage and sd card(s) show up as separate mass storage devices just like a usb pen drive. I can then just drag and drop. Transfer speed is quite slow as my PC only has old style USB but it works every time.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, me again:
    I am not making progress on the USB-file transfer front. A wireless connection is not practical for what I have in mind--I have 6 to 8 gigs. of html + pdf files to transfer from my computer to Asus tablet.

Perhaps my problem is with my tablet settings? What should I be using concerning those? What about debugging? I tried the file explorer app recommended--I can see my tablet files very clearly but not so with my computer ones. I did see the upload file button, which did "reveal" my computer directory files, which was great. But, when I
    tried to upload even one file, I met with problems.

So, I would like to see if my tablet's settings can be configured as a possible means of fixing this?

More suggestions would be welcome.
    Thanks to all.

Best, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Theoretically, yes. practically speaking, however, we get many folks posting here to say they have problems doing it for many & varied reasons.

To get back to Phil's question, re PDFs etc stored on your PC. You could always use the Asus Splashtop facility to login to your PC & then access the documents, links etc that way - it is under MyCloud on the tf101.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1636 times
    A USB card reader would be a cheap solution. Some SD cards even come with a reader.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2318 times
    Hi again Phil,

If you don't like Leeshor's excellent suggestion of a card reader, then let me just add the following...

You should be able to transfer files at a decent speed wirelessly - they only use the wifi speed of your network, they do not go out to the Internet & then back again. As such you should get a transfer speed of approx 72mbs - & it works seamlessly. By the time you have fixed the wired connection - and many never do, you could have transferred all the files a dozen times...

Once you have enabled smb (SAMBA) file sharing on your PC, ES File Explorer can see them using it's LAN section. "It just works" is the best recommendation I can give it. Other than that, you will be spending a few hours configuring & rebooting, I would think.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2318 times
    Just noticed you have a tf300 Phil, but this thread is in tf101 general, so I have moved it to the right place for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads