Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: [GUIDE] DIY TF300 Screen Replacement MEGA thread. ALL related posts here please.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    5 times

Post [GUIDE] DIY TF300 Screen Replacement MEGA thread. ALL related posts here please.

Hello TF-Forum People!

I wanted to post a description of a successfull LCD Screen replacement (I didn't take pictures unluckily...), which hopefully will help future Tf300 owners to repair their tablet.

Recently the LCD screen of my TF300 cracked for unknown reasons (cat, dog, wife?) while lying unattended on the floor... After the first shock, I started to browse the internet in order to find out how to solve the problem (RMA was for severeal reasons no option). As It seems, at the moment there is only little information on this issue available and only one thread in your forum showing the innards of this type of tablet.

I ordered a new screen from here: Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF300 TF300T LCD Screen Display Panel Replacement
    After 2 weeks it arrived at my place and was nicely packaged (only problem was, that these guys didn't put the invoice on the outside of the package, so I had to show up at our customs-service).

Opening the TF300 is fairly easy, robust fingernails will do the job. I strtet at the lower end of the tablet, and lifted the plastic back-shell over the corner of the screen. When you do this you have to be a bit careful at the earplug connector and the hdmi-connector, here you hve to bend the shell a bit more.

Next you have the insid in front of you and you need to remove all the stainless srews including those from the digitizer PCB, but not those six from the dock-connector.

Then you unplug the screen (easy) and the Digitizer cable (orange plastic on the lower right side). Before removing the digitizer cable have a close look at it, there's a white line on it showing you how deep this cable has to be inside the plug/connector. When you reassemble everything you have to push it back to the same extend, otherwise the digitizer doesn't work. This can be quite hard to achieve, because the cable bends easily, so applying the apppropriate force is quite a challenge...

Now before you can separate "moterboard" from screen+digitizer, there's a couple of tapes you'll need to loosen. One is on the lower left of the tablet (close to the left dock-holder). In my case it was black, covering a square hole and sticking to a little magnet, which was glued to the old LCD screen. The next two tabes can be fund under the digitizer PCB on the right side, underneath the hdmi- and sd-card-dock.

Now you can lift of the computer-part of the tablet from the screen/digitizer unit.

Now comes the worst part: separating the old screen from the digitizer...

In my case I first opened the metall frame of the lcd and lifted out the old brocken lcd. By doing so, I got good access to the other side of this frame, which is glued to the digitizer via double sided tape (damn you asus, why are these guys using a dozen screws to connect digitizer/lcd to the computer but the glue the lcd to the digitizer?). I carefully pried of this frame starting from the oposite site of where the digitizer cable is located. Although worked quite well, I had to destroy (bend) the frame in this process (and it cut into my fingers...).

Next I removed the last bits of the double sided tape, put some new double sided tape on the metal frame of my new screen. I used this kind of tape you get at hardware shops to glue a carpet onto the floor and cut it into apprpriate shaped pieces. The I put the new sceen to the place of the old one, reassembled everything in the reverse order (had some problems getting the digitizer cable into its connector) and tested everything.

And indeed, everything works fine, and I'm happy again

If you want to do the same, I would suggest, instead of tearing out the whole old lcd-screen unit, to carefully remove only the LCD+LCD-PCB itself, leaving the old frames intact. This way, you don't have to fiddle around with the tedious double sided tape. You can disassemble the old LCD (which is anyway broken) first, so you can learn, how this thing is assembled.

I hope you will find this manual informative and helpfull to repair your device.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2247 times
    Welcome to the forum & thanks very much for such a great first post.

I have added some detail to the thread title & have made the thread a sticky in our Tf300 help section. Thanks again, I should think this will be of great assistance to many.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

Digitizer Replacement

Hey Guys. I've broken my TF300 digitize I think and need some help.

First off the screen is working fine except I can't touch anything and there is a nice big crack going right through the center(totally my fault). Does this sound like a problem with the digitizer?

I've been looking through eBay for replacements and have found this and this

I was thinking of ordering the first because it comes with the tools I'll need. Are both of these compatible? I want to make sure 100% before I order I have the TF300t.

I'm game enough to crack this open but are there any instructional videos? That I can use to help me? I have done quite a lot of googling but can't seem to find anything has anyone here done this before? Any advice?

Thanks Guys.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2247 times
    Welcome to the forum Lance

I have joined your post to the best thread we have on this subject, so I hope you will find the OP here of some help to you.

Good luck with your repair.
    yory13 likes this.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    ok, thank you- I've managed to pull apart everything quite easily except for removing the two ribbon cables for the digitizer I thought you had to flip the black stuff up instead of directly pull. This mistake resulted in me pulling off a little of the black Photo 1-12-12 10 15 22 PM.jpg as you can see in the photo attached...

Now, I don't think she's a goner; but maybe someone else can chime in, everything seems ok and I could see some little gold contacts they still seems to be straight and in perfect condition; I'm thinking the black stuff was just some sort of protective shielding. With this thought in mind I'm going to go ahead and order one of the digitizes. Also if this all goes to plan I'm probably going to record and upload this process to YouTube as I really can't find anything hopefully I'll help out a future noob and make sure they don't make the same mistakes I do.

NOTE: if your pulling apart your tablet these plugs are under a little bit of foam you'll have to pull off they are sticky. You'll need to remove them put them some place clean and then re attach them later. You need to be able to see the white line like the original poster suggested you can't with the foam still there.

EDIT. When I said everything... that didn't include LCD from digitizer; I'd love to know how the opening poster separated his without killing the digitizer; mine is already dead so I can be rough with it but not with the LCD. It just seems too me getting these two apart alive would almost be impossible. There is some serious glue holding these guys in place. If money wasn't so tight I'd be ordering a LCD screen right now as well.

EDIT2: You'll need Balls of Steel/Stupidity. Or Some gloves and some safety goggles; I've managed to cut a few things Basically once you get to this point you have to pick LCD or digitiser I went LCD get a small flat head driver or credit card type thing cut into a long strip on one side on the back of the screen there is a little indentation where you can push your flat thing between the screen and the digitizer you'll hear some cracking slowly move around the screen like this the two parts will slowly come apart eventually you'll have glass everywhere hopefully not your finger or eyes and have separated the two and be left with just the LCD.

Safety WASH YOU HANDS! AND DO NOT WIPE your eye. LOTS and LOTS of little glass will attack you and coat your hands by the time you're done. so be careful.
    Last edited by lance4681; 12-01-2012 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Started working on LCD and digitizer separation.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

Tf300t screen replace

Hey guys, I know this sort of thing has been asked before, I have searched the forum. I have to replace my wife's lcd screen, the digitizer is fine. The question I wish to ask is can you get the screen and digitizer in one piece. I have heard they are tricky to separate. I am still in research mode and have been looking at various screens ranging from $50 to $150 AUD.

Btw, I am in Australia.

Cheers
    Last edited by janner43; 12-09-2012 at 09:11 AM. Reason: borderline word in some parts...

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    38 times
    Not sure if you can get the screen/digitizer combo, You could try Asustek, ebay or Amazon, you may find what your looking for on one of those sites...
    Its mind over matter - What does it matter never mind - by me

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2247 times
    Quote Originally Posted by crushtastic View Post
    Hey guys, I know this sort of thing has been asked before, I have searched the forum. I have to replace my wife's lcd screen, the digitizer is fine. The question I wish to ask is can you get the screen and digitizer in one piece. I have heard they are tricky to separate. I am still in research mode and have been looking at various screens ranging from $50 to $150 AUD.

Btw, I am in Australia.

Cheers
    As you say you had searched the forum I'm not sure why you didn't join this thread, but anyway I've moved your post here for you. This is the best thread we have on this subject & hopefully you will find it helpful & informative

Good luck with your repair.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks janner, I was thinking about putting it in here, but I wasn't sure cause I was asking about the combo. I had already bookmarked this page as I plan to use the OP's guide.

btw, Thanks to Wimoritz and Lance for sharing their experiences.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    2 times
    I just successfully completed replacing the LCD in my TF300T tablet.

I followed the guide which was very helpful and in addition I have the following suggestions that were very helpful for me.

#1. Take Pictures! It is very helpful to take pictures as you being taking things apart and along the way. If you get can't remember what color screw goes where or how the cables are routed or have any other questions during reassembly you can just refer back to the pictures.

#2. Use a hair dryer (or heat gun) to heat up the adhesive that holds the screen and digitizer together. It make the process MUCH easier.... no blood or broken glass.

Good Luck
    Last edited by levimax; 12-14-2012 at 11:42 PM.
    Swipe and Nibiru2012 like this.

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ads