Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

Stock TF300 boots to blank screen after 10.4.2.17 firmware update

Hello:

A few days ago my stock TF300T updated to the latest firmware, US_epad-10.4.2.17-20121018. It worked fine for a few days after that, so I don't think I had a firmware installation problem.

This morning, it didn't wake up from sleep when I tapped the power button. The screen just briefly flickered the backlight, but with a blank screen.

Eventually, I hard-rebooted the tablet (hold down power for ten seconds). The ASUS splash screen displayed for about ten seconds. The ASUS logo had flickering garbage on it. Then the screen went black, but the backlight was still on. I attached the TF300T to my PC. To my surprise, I was able to browse the tablet's file system just fine.

If I cold boot the tablet (hold down power and volume-down buttons for a while), and pick the Android boot option, a message indicates that the firmware signature matches. This, too, leads me to believe that the recent firmware update went OK. But the actual Android boot just has the same result just described.

If I choose the RCK option instead, I very briefly see the Android graphic in the center of the screen (just a blink), then a corrupted, randomly flickering graphic in the top of the screen. It's pretty messed up, but I can tell that it's part of the graphic with the Android lying down and a red triangle with the red exclamation point. It continues randomly flickering for a minute or so, then reboots, with the same result -- corrupted flash screen goes to blank screen.

I guess I'm going to be RMA'ing this thing (it's about 6 months old), but if anybody has another suggestion, please let me know. Given that the file system is fully accessible from my PC, I would be interested to know what I can copy off of there that will make my life easier when I have a fresh/clean TF300T. Are there any off-line backup utilities that I can use to get the new system back to the same state as the current system (except, of course, not broken?)

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Last edited by avout; 11-06-2012 at 10:50 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    3 times
    I don't know much about the offline backup utilities, but by connecting the tablet to your PC, you can copy any photos, music/videos, or saved files the same way you would from an external hard drive or flash drive.

Any chance you have any way of connecting your tablet to a computer or TV, such as an HDMI hookup? If you do try that to see if the display comes up on the monitor or tv, which would indicate that it is an issue with the screen rather than the software.
    Last edited by lestrade; 11-05-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    The problem appears to be the screen. Just a few minutes ago, I picked up the tablet while it was in the "blank screen with backlight on" state, and saw the lock screen display. It stayed displayed long enough for me to unlock the screen, but blanked out before I could see anything else.

So, definitely an RMA and not a software-fixable issue. I will get an HDMI cable and hook this thing up to my TV long enough to perform a system backup. Although... how do I touch interact with this thing while the actual graphics are only displayed on an external display?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    3 times
    If the touch works, you can navigate using the touchand watching another screen. Its tricky but possible. The problem you are having sounds very similar to one I experienced with a loose connection. It was a fairly easy fix, however opening your tablet creates a whole new level of risk.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    avout & lestrade: HDMI USE:

Go to settings>Developer options>Show touches - This enables a "round cursor" which will show you where you are pressing the tablet, and will display via HDMI on your TV. I use this option quite often. Kinda turns your TV into a tablet - you can do everything without looking at the tablet screen.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the tip, Swipe. I just ordered an HDMI cable which will be here tomorrow, but my plan was to use a bluetooth mouse instead of the touch screen. As far as I can tell from a few youtube videos, if you connect a bluetooth mouse, you also get a bluetooth cursor.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    On the other hand, isn't it strange that the splash screen and the cold boot screen can display graphics indefinitely, albeit with some flickering pixels? I don't think an intermittent connection problem would manifest itself that way.

On further experimentation, shortly after the tablet is rebooted, I can often flip the tablet back and forth, and graphics turns on just long enough to display the rotation animation. As soon as the animation is completed, the screen turns back off.

So I'm not 100% sure that this *is* a connector problem. I'll have time tonight to experiment with the external video.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    In the end, I actually think this problem *was* caused by the firmware upgrade.

I hooked up the tablet to my TV via HDMI, and went through all of the settings I could find, turning off all screen timeouts and visiting all screen-related settings. I was doing most of this while looking at the TV, but at some point I looked down at the tablet and saw that the display was on.

I disconnected the HDMI, the tablet stayed on. And now it is working fine.

So my theory is that there was an underlying setting that either got clobbered, or misinterpreted after the firmware upgrade. Revisiting the settings screens re-stored these settings in a way that the new firmware understood. I write software, it's happened to me before.

Anyway, I sure am glad I don't have to RMA my tablet.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Sorry for the runaround everybody.

It's back to broken.

I'm done messing with it now. At least I got a chance to back up all of its settings.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links