Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

Unfortunately, System UI has stopped

I got this TF300t from Best Buy in the states 2 weeks ago for my daughter. Now on holidays in Europe.
    I was playing with it one day and it wanted to do an update, and I clicked the button later.
    My daughter was on it and she clicked okay, and the battery must have been low.
    The system would boot up and then give the UI has stopped. Every app I tried to start would give me the same results.
    Including settings.
    I found this form and did the wipe, and it is now stuck on the welcome screen, and when I touch the start button to set up the unit it tells me "settings has stopped".
    When it boots holding down the down/and power button, I seen that it already has the latest ICS ROM. 4.3.30
    I used RAR and took the latest firmware from the ASUS site, and had it extract to my micro SD. What should that file look like on the SD card?
    I tried getting this file to load on a reboot about 20x's with no luck.
    I tried making a file, ASUS/UPDATE, and locating it there. 20 reboots no luck.
    I tried to extract it after dragging the file to the card. extracted it in the root dir, and 20x's later still no luck.

When the ASUS file is in the root dir, I only see a zip file. I don't see a exe file.
    I have now tried just about everything I have found on this site.
    I have not tried to use ViperMod to root this thing, as it's brand new.
    I would simply return it to Best Buy if I was in the states. I don't know how long I have, with Best Buy, but by the time I am home it will be 6 weeks old
    I want to avoid them telling me that I cause this by rooting it.
    Any sure fire way to force it to run the auto load zip file on my SD card would be helpful

Bill

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Welcome to the forum!

Once you download the file from the Asus website for the firmware, unzip it once. It will still be a .zip file. (A zip within a zip.....)

Place this file on a microSD formatted for FAT32 and it should trigger an update on boot. To force it to look for it, hold VOL DOWN and POWER for 10-15 seconds until some small white text appears. Release both buttons and hit VOL UP within 5 seconds to enter Recovery (to force it to flash the .zip).

Also, .exe files are for Windows. Android uses .apk files (but the firmware blob does not have them accessible until you unpack it).

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello Frederuco,
    When I do this, I get the driod robot lying on his back with a Red triangle and ! in his belly

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbillyd View Post
    Hello Frederuco,
    When I do this, I get the driod robot lying on his back with a Red triangle and ! in his belly
    Yes, you would. Fred flashes his device so often, he has forgotten that if you hit VOL + on a stock device you get just what you have described.

Just do it again without the VOL +

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...asus-site.html

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    If I do not hit the + Vol button the sceen loads the Wipe ICON, and the Android ICON on the right, toggle the -vol button to select either of this two. then the UP button to confirm.
    I have done the Wipe, and the Android ICon, either of these two selections do not make the device load the firmware from the SD.
    Either selection winds up taking me to the Welcome screen on the left with English selected, the droid robot in the middle of the screen, and the start button on the right.
    Right in the middle, Unfortunately, System UI has stopped. If I select the Start button the the right, the text response changes to Unfortunately, Settings has stopped.

So, this thing does not know how to even auto load from the SD.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    ON the link you posted to the official guide, seems like its for either for an older model or for honeycomb. As it states to put it into a ASUS folder. I have spent about 8 hours on this site. Some people say to put it into a ASUS/UPDATE folder. OTher experts say put it into a root dir. I have tried both ways. I have downloaded the file using DLM and Global links. I tried using Zip, and RAR.
    The 100 different ways rebooting, over the 8 hrs has not forced a load from the SD card.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Well it looks like a return trip to Asus then. Unless you can manage to APX it or nVflash it via a PC.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    It would seem that the Recovery is not recognizing the file. It should be a .zip file, but unzipped once.

Also, the TF300 cannot do NVFlash without unlocking the bootloader if I recall, which would void the warranty.

Not sure what else to try if you got the proper (US) version of the firmware and it is not triggering an update (with or without pressing VOL+)

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    7 times
    I just tried this form of firmware recovery or install from my micro SD card.
    1st of all, I am already at the latest firmware version on my tf300, but I have been having a few issues lately and Hard resets have not cured them.
    I am also on US firmware.......
    I downloaded and unzipped on my computer the latest US Asus firmware.
    I placed both the Asus/Update folder with the unzipped, zipped file on my micro SD, as well as I copied just the unzipped, zipped file to the root directory of my micro SD.
    Inserted the SD card, held down the "down volume button & the start button until I got the small writing in the upper left hand corner.
    The message was very quickly displayed mentioning hitting the volume up key for "recovery" which I ignored and let the system boot up.
    After entering the home page, I notice an exclamation mark in a triangle in the notification bar.
    Clicking on that, gave me the option to update, which I did and all went successfully from my micro SD card.
    I realize you are not even getting past the boot screen, so I do suspect you need to hit the volume up button when you see the writing in the upper left.
    Also make sure you are using the US version of the firmware and not the WW firmware version from the Asus page.
    Try loading your micro SD card as I did with the folder and unzipped, zipped file & the single unzipped, zipped file placed in the root.
    then for the 101 time, reboot your machine while holding down the volume down button, until you see the writing, then again hit the volume up button after you see the writing to get into recovery.
    Hopefully it will work.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    There you go-- the stock Asus FLASH updater will not apply an update unless it is an actual update-- that is, the embedded update code (within the file) is of a higher value than what your system is already reporting. You cannot (using the stock ASUS) re-apply the same update, unfortunately.

You have two options: break the locked bootloader, and install CWM or similar, which lets you flash anything you darn well please, regardless of the consequences (or age, date, version, etc). This will, of course, void your warranty from Asus, as per the agreement when you use the unlocking tool.

Or return it to Asus, letting them know that their standard over the air update did not go through properly, and the tablet is now somewhat messed up.

Obviously, you'll need to un-root-- I suggest one of the unrooting tools, such as RootKeeper: you install that, run it to unroot. If you have no backup of root? It'll remain unrooted.

Edit: There is a third way you could try. The ADB system, which, since you're rooted, I believe will let you re-flash just about anything, via your PC and the USB/charging cable. There's several threads on how to do this.

Lastly: Best Buy's usual return policy is either 30 or 60 days, depending on various things. Likely for a tab such as yours, it's only 30 days. Unless you purchased an extended warranty....
    Last edited by Bob_of_QF; 07-09-2012 at 02:27 PM.
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links