Thread: Broken screen

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    2 times

Broken screen

Hello, my LCD is broken. The glass over the LCD is in perfect condition and the tablet still works if I connect it on HDMI. I can also use the touch screen even if I don't see anything...

Is it a part I can replace myself?

IMG_0620.jpg

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    It may be possible to fix it yourself. If you search the forum, you might be able to find a parts distributor for the screen.

However, seeing as it's a 300, you should still be under warranty here-- I'd contact Asus before opening'er up and voiding any chance of RMA.

On the third hand? It could also just be a simple cable malfunction-- one of our regular posters has complained that the internal video cables are not well secured on these. If you do open it up (google for examples of how to do this non-destructively) you may find that simply re-connecting the flat ribbon cable that feeds the video signal is all you need to do-- if that's the case, I'd secure it with something like acrylic adhesive tape (that metal-foil stuff) or hot glue or even quick-set epoxy. If you use the tape, make sure you don't short anything with it.
    Last edited by Bob_of_QF; 07-07-2012 at 09:52 PM.
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    2 times
    Already tried searching on the forums. The only links I found didn't have any TF300 parts yet. (asuspart.eu I think). I've also seen other with damaged LCD who was to pay about 200 USD, but nothing about fixing it myself.

Also, maybe we don't see it properly but the LCD is really cracked.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    10 times
    My 300 screen cracked yesterday 6 weeks after purchase. PC World ( Where i bought it ) have identified that it has cracked in bottom right hand corner exactly where the metal clip is that locates the Pad screen to the Dock. To me this shows a design fault. I will be contacting ASUS tomorrow.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    2 times
    Not going to help me. It's 100% my fault if it broke and I'm not proud of it.

I put it on a couch while playing with my 9 months daughter, so can't reach it and throw it like she does with her toys. I forgot about it and later the same day I sat on it... :|

Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    249 times
    Check these folks out maybe they can help.

http://www.sandiegopchelp.com/servic...d-transformer/
    Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post344339

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    TF101 32 GB + Grandkids toy now
    Nokia 635 win 8.1
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    1 times
    if you dont/cant fix it yourself. I broke my screen by accident and sent it in for repair to asus and almost 3 weeks later no word from asus, I called yesturday they said an email was sent yesturday (presuming the repair estimate but I never recieved the email so will call again on Monday, I expect to have to pay for the repairs). my crack was almost identical to yours I think there isnt much support for the center of the panel. But with my experience so far with asus I would research 3rd party repair places if its not covered by warrenty cause asus will take for ever

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlarg View Post
    Also, maybe we don't see it properly but the LCD is really cracked.
    Aaah.... that's unfortunate.
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    2 times
    I think I have read your post already Doug.

To be honest, I'm surprised. I have bought only Asus motherboards for years because I had really bad luck with other brand when I had to send it for warranty but it was always pretty quick and never had any problems (compared to support from other brands)

I sent them an e-mail yesterday, waiting for an answer tomorrow or in 2 days.

I also sent an e-mail to the guys helpifIcan suggested.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    2 times
    The guys at Sandiego PC Help sent me an e-mail. The labour cost is between $99 and $149 + parts, but they can't say for sure the parts are available to them because they don't have the part number...

I'll wait for an answer from Asus but I guess for the price difference I would feel safer if I get the work done by Asus, even if it may take a bit longer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links