Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    0 times

Cold boot question

I've had my tablet since close to when it came out. It is a great tablet. Today though it started doing something strange. The quick settings panel keeps popping up on it's own. It will turn the bluetooth on, start my weather app and a few other things all on it's own. This happens no matter what I am doing on my tablet. I did do the latest update when it came out. I powered my tab off and then back on and it still did it. I decided to do a cold boot following these steps.

"Cold Boot (aka Hard Reset)
    Unplug the power cord and shut the unit off. Press and hold the VOL DOWN and then POWER button at the same time for at least 10-12 seconds until after the start-up screen appears and is joined by some small print at the top of the screen then let them both go. If the TF booted the way it always does, you have not accomplished the task,try again until you have seen the 2 icons in the screen.

After a few seconds you should see a couple of shapes in the middle of the screen called "Wipe Data" and "Android". The right "Android" will have a green highlight fading in and out. Wait a few more seconds until the term "Cold Booting Linux" appears in the list near the top of the screens and let it reboot. If you own a keyboard dock be sure you do this with the dock connected.

This applies to all TF models, however, if your Prime is locked up, there is a reset available using the hole just below the SD Card slot, this is NOT the same as a hard reset

I thought this wipes out all your apps and data so I backed up what I needed but to my surprise when it rebooted, everything is still there. Did it not cold boot properly?

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1595 times
    You absolutely did it correctly which is why nothing was deleted. Did it solve the problems?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    0 times
    No not really.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1595 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lsim View Post
    No not really.
    Are you using a keyboard/dock? if so you may be experiencing wild thumb syndrome which can be easily cured by turning off the touch pad. 4th key from the left on the keyboard. If not, then you may have some other app that is getting in the way.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    15 times
    I've had my tablet since close to when it came out. It is a great tablet. Today though it started doing something strange. The quick settings panel keeps popping up on it's own. It will turn the bluetooth on, start my weather app and a few other things all on it's own. This happens no matter what I am doing on my tablet. I did do the latest update when it came out. I powered my tab off and then back on and it still did it. I decided to do a cold boot following these steps.

"Cold Boot (aka Hard Reset)
    Unplug the power cord and shut the unit off. Press and hold the VOL DOWN and then POWER button at the same time for at least 10-12 seconds until after the start-up screen appears and is joined by some small print at the top of the screen then let them both go. If the TF booted the way it always does, you have not accomplished the task,try again until you have seen the 2 icons in the screen.

After a few seconds you should see a couple of shapes in the middle of the screen called "Wipe Data" and "Android". The right "Android" will have a green highlight fading in and out. Wait a few more seconds until the term "Cold Booting Linux" appears in the list near the top of the screens and let it reboot. If you own a keyboard dock be sure you do this with the dock connected.

This applies to all TF models, however, if your Prime is locked up, there is a reset available using the hole just below the SD Card slot, this is NOT the same as a hard reset

I thought this wipes out all your apps and data so I backed up what I needed but to my surprise when it rebooted, everything is still there. Did it not cold boot properly?
    Maybe your trying to factory reset it? It's different with cold booting.
    Galaxy Nexus Stock JB 4.1.1 - 16GB
    Asus Transformer Stock ICS 4.0.3 - 16GB
    Nokia Lumia 800 Windows Phone 7.5 - 16GB

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    0 times
    I do not have keyboard so that's not an issue. I also haven't downloaded any new apps.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1595 times
    I do not have keyboard so that's not an issue. I also haven't downloaded any new apps.
    It's possible that a factory reset would solve the problem. Otherwise you may have a loose connection in the display somewhere. In which case you may want to look at an exchange with the retailer.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    0 times
    Now its acting fine. It did it for a little while after the child boot but its been great since then.

Lisa

Ads