Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    0 times

questions about the TF300 and printing

Hello, I am a new owner of a TF300 with the keyboard dock. Until I can figure out my printing situation, the tablet is still unopened.

Here is a quick rundown of my situation:

I was in need of a device that would allow me to print webpages through my 4g mobile hotspot. In the past I was just using an old laptop. I wanted something more portable and with better battery life, so I opted to begin looking at tablets. Now, the reason I purchased this tablet is that I was told (by a BestBuy employee) that I would be able to connect through blutooth or wifi to my printer and printing would be no problem. After doing a few forum searches, I found that you must use a 3rd party app, an universal one like "printershare", or I also see that most printer manufacturers have an app.

Now even after reading through several forum threads I still have a few questions.

While at work, I only have my tablet and my 4g hotspot. Will I be able to connect both my printer and tablet to this hotspot so that I can use "printershare"? Does the printer have to be connected to the 4g in order for my tablet to access it? Can the tablet be connected to the printer by blutooth alone (the tablet will still be connected to the 4g hotspot) ?

Also, I have not bought a new printer yet, I still have my old one with no wi-fi or blutooth. Can anyone reccomend me the best brand of printer would be best (or has the best app) for printing from webpages?

Thank you so much for reading, I know it may be a confusing post so feel free to ask questions.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2809 times
    Welcome to the forum!

First, is your 4G hotspot a MiFi? If it is USB, it most likely will not work due to lack of drivers.

Secondly, do you have a computer at home that you can run Google Chrome browser on? If yes, you can use ANY printer and set it up through Google's Cloud Print (in the settings of Chrome).

If you can use Cloud Print, you can then get the Cloud Print app for your TF300 and then print from anywhere you have internet. It will be waiting when you get home so long as your computer at home is turned on.

If you are going to get a new printer, getting one that is Cloud Ready (Specifically for Google Cloud Printing) and you can use that to print.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    Thanks! And thank you for the fast response time!

First, is your 4G hotspot a MiFi? If it is USB, it most likely will not work due to lack of drivers.
    Yes I believe it is. It sends a wireless signal, no need for USB connection.

If you can use Cloud Print, you can then get the Cloud Print app for your TF300 and then print from anywhere you have internet. It will be waiting when you get home so long as your computer at home is turned on.
    While that MAY work, I would really prefer to be able to print directly to my work printer. Is there no way to do that? (as asked in my OP, connecting both to my hotspot, or connecting tablet & printer through blutooth)

If you are going to get a new printer, getting one that is Cloud Ready (Specifically for Google Cloud Printing) and you can use that to print.
    I would prefer not to use the Cloud method of printing. The question I meant to ask was, what printer brand has the best app for the printing of webpages?

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2809 times
    To print to your local printer, it will have to be somehow connected to your hotspot.

If it is a USB printer, you could connect it to your work PC and share it (windows printer and file sharing) and then connect your work computer to your MiFi. Then you can use PrintBot to print directly to your printer through your shared printer as long as the printer is supported by PrintBot.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok so the way I understand it, if I want to use my tablet and no other computer (at home or otherwise), I must connect both the printer and the tablet to the hotspot. Then I can use an app like PrintBot or PrintShare to get the job done. This sounds like it would be doable.

One more quick question. I just recently got the 4g mifi/hotspot and still have not bought the wi-fi printer. Do you know if the wi-fi printers are capable of connecting to a wireless 4g signal?

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2809 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler12345 View Post
    Ok so the way I understand it, if I want to use my tablet and no other computer (at home or otherwise), I must connect both the printer and the tablet to the hotspot. Then I can use an app like PrintBot or PrintShare to get the job done. This sounds like it would be doable.

One more quick question. I just recently got the 4g mifi/hotspot and still have not bought the wi-fi printer. Do you know if the wi-fi printers are capable of connecting to a wireless 4g signal?
    All of the WiFi printers I have purchased only care about associating with a WiFi signal, not about the actual internet connectivity.

If you have the WiFi printer with you, 4G connectivity is not needed to print.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok, small miss-understanding.

I know that the printers themselves do not need internet to function. I was asking it was possible to "associate" the printer to my wireless 4g hotspot. (I know it is do-able with normal wi-fi, and I would assume its the same using my hotspot, right?)

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2809 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler12345 View Post
    Ok, small miss-understanding.

I know that the printers themselves do not need internet to function. I was asking it was possible to "associate" the printer to my wireless 4g hotspot. (I know it is do-able with normal wi-fi, and I would assume its the same using my hotspot, right?)
    I have not tried it with my MiFi, but it should be no different.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1591 times
    I can sorta answer that as it would be no different from one of my customers who is using a service called Clear where it is actually acting as if it's a MiFi 4G hotspot put is a more or less permanent wireless Internet connection. If it is your primary or only access to the internet it's pretty easy.

If you add a second computer or add a wired network that could be a problem as it would be complicated to get the printer to see what would amount to 2 different networks, unless EVERYTHING was on the MiFi.

Hope I didn't confuse you.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    0 times
    OK thanks for the help guys. I had a few more problems, but after your advice and talking to a few other people I think I have found my solution.

I will be getting a new wireless HP printer with eprint, I have heard the newer ones allow you to connect to networks such as my wireless mi-fi device from the printer itself. That way both the printer and the tablet will be on the same network wirelessly. I haven't tried printer apps yet, but I am sure Cloud Print or the HP app will enable me to print directly from the webpage, or at least make an image copy of the page to print from.

I encountered even bigger issues though when I found that the webpage I needed to print from required use of java (through a java log-in applet) for access. Right as I was about to return the tablet, I found out about the Xtralogic remote desktop control app. After purchasing the app for $15, it was a quick set-up and I was able to finally view and log-in to the website I needed. I was worried that web-browsing would be slow but it was actually similar to normal android browsing speeds.

It looks like I have everything I need now to use this at work, with only the tablet, the mi-fi, & the printer. Finally!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads