Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Is there a natural successor to the TF300 in the UK?

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Plenty of touchscreen Chromebooks, but your Mum won't have access to Skype on a Chromebook - only Hangouts... but given that Hangouts has just been made available to anypne with or without a Google account, that should be too much of a problem.

Touchscreen Chromebooks are everywhere, but how well do they work? | PCWorld

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    To be honest with you, she might even like an iPad mini 2 with a bluetooth keyboard...

But maybe that is too far for you to go if you are a committed Google fan...

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    To be honest with you, she might even like an iPad mini 2 with a bluetooth keyboard...

But maybe that is too far for you to go if you are a committed Google fan...
    I have my reasons for not being a fan of the Apple ecosystem, but there's no denying their devices can be very well suited to elderly users. Essentially it was a case that I was already subscribed to the Google ecosystem and when my brother emigrated getting her a Transformer to match the one I had (and he had for that matter) meant that it would be easier to provide her with support during that 'getting used to it' phase with all of us using the same type of device. Three years down the line there are still things she forgets, even after I've shown her more times than I can count. That's what it's like, I guess, for someone who's life didn't involve any kind of technology for the first 70 years of her life.

But the lack of natural Transformer alternatives does make the mini 2 a potential candidate, when the time comes. It can be picked up for a relatively modest price and there appear to be keyboard units which then give the user a netbook-style experience - rather than one where the tablet simply perches on top of the keyboard.

Again the fact the keyboard isn't integral and needs to be charged separately could be a problem if something goes awry and I'm left to try and diagnose it over the phone (or she forgets to charge it!). But I know that Gmail & Skype both exist on iOS devices, which covers her two primary app requirements.

The lack of Skype on the Chromebook could be a deal breaker. My brother & I have both tried Hangouts and find the video quality on Skype to be better, especially in lower bandwidth situations - and when she visits her partner's place which is in the countryside she uses a broadband connection so slow it can almost be beaten by dial-up. Yet, despite this, the Skype video quality is still more than acceptable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links