Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300TL (4G)
    Liked
    0 times

Android 4.2 - Non OTA

Newbie here.

I just purchased an Asus Transformer TF300 TL. It is running Android version 4.1.1.
    When I check for updates, I am ‘up to date’.

I've seen postings on the web that an upgrade to Android 4.2 was available in 3/2013 for the TF300TL

I called Asus. Asus support stated since my serial # begins with a 'C' (2012) I can't get an OTA update to 4.2. Since that response didn’t make sense, I opened a support ticket and was told to download
    ASUS Transformer Pad TF300TL Firmware: V10.4.3.10.7 Only for US SKU (Android 4.1)

I was provided the link to that page.
    My questions

1) Is this Android 4.2. I see the Android 4.1 at the end of the descrption
    2) Once I download the firmware above, how do I install it on the TF 300. Note: I have no desire to ‘root’ the device’ !
    3) Will this work OK or should I leave well enough alone and stick with Android 4.1 I don’t want a ‘bricked’ tablet. I still want evetyhig to work, especially the AT&T 3G/4G
    Last edited by gsuemnic; 06-30-2014 at 09:33 AM.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Welcome to the forum

Here are a few comments/suggestions...
    1) As you have bought a new device, I would suggest the first step would be to go to settings & do a full Factory Reset. That may well get you your update OTA.
    2) If it doesn't then you need to manually update the firmware as you have suggested. The first thing to ensure is that you get the correct firmware for your device. You MUST ensure you download the TL (4G) firmware - not the standard wifi only model firmware.
    3) To apply the firmware manually, you should follow our guide thread on that process.

All the guides we have are linked from the Master Help Guide, (Factory Reset, Manual Update & more) linked in my signature below.

All the best

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    janner is right, be very careful following any guides on the forums. Most of them were written for the TF300T, the wifi only model. Different hardware = different firmware!

If you have the US 300TL, it seems you're out of luck. Asus downlaod page shows a 4.2 update for the WW firmware (Europe, Australia etc), but the latest available for US SKU is JB 4.1.
    And then - don't know if that update really added much to the functionality of he tablet....

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300TL (4G)
    Liked
    0 times

Thnaks

Quote Originally Posted by droidbound View Post
    janner is right, be very careful following any guides on the forums. Most of them were written for the TF300T, the wifi only model. Different hardware = different firmware!

If you have the US 300TL, it seems you're out of luck. Asus downlaod page shows a 4.2 update for the WW firmware (Europe, Australia etc), but the latest available for US SKU is JB 4.1.
    And then - don't know if that update really added much to the functionality of he tablet....
    Thanks... Sounds like I'll keep what I have.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300TL (4G)
    Liked
    0 times
    Now that we're in 2016 is there still no way to upgrade to at least 4.2 ? OTA just doesn't see any New Updates available.
    P.S. If I find the corresponding firmware for my unit must I unlock my bootloader before attempting the update?

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mcavallu View Post
    Now that we're in 2016 is there still no way to upgrade to at least 4.2 ? OTA just doesn't see any New Updates available.
    P.S. If I find the corresponding firmware for my unit must I unlock my bootloader before attempting the update?
    JB 4.2 for the TF300TL has been out since May 2013. WW V10.6.2.10 seems to be the last version released. I guarantee you: There will no more updates.
    You could try to go into Apps > swipe to All > scroll down and clear cache and data on CMClient and DMClient, reboot and try the OTA function again. But I kinda doubt that Asus would keep the OTA pipeline open this long.

If that does not help you can try the manual method described here: [GUIDE] How to manually update/restore firmware (TF101, TF201, TF300, TF700, TF701)
    That method *should* work on your TL model although I can't be sure of it. No harm in trying, the worst that could happen is that it fails to update.
    You do not have to unlock the bootloader for this

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300TL (4G)
    Liked
    0 times
    I appreciate the help but the biggest issue seems to be that ASUS on their Website doesn't offer any newer firmware than what's already on my TF. I have Version US_V10.4.3.10.7 which translates to Android 4.1

Please I'm sure there's somebody out there that must have also run into this problem. Please help.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    No-one can help because short of flashing a custom ROM there is no solution. Asus abandoned the TF300 ages ago. They never did update your cellular version as frequently as the wifi only version. If they don't list the firmware you think you should have there is nothing anyone here can do about it.

You're stuck with what you've got unless you are happy to risk your device and also loose the cellular connectivity.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Developer & Repair Magician
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    335 times
    And yes, lots of people have run into the problem. It's just that nobody found a fix. There are many custom ROMs available, up to and including 6.0 Marshmallow, but as @janner43 says, none support your cell radio. And any custom ROM requires a custom recovery which in turn requires unlocking.

Do you have a particular problem you'd like to solve, or are you just caught up in the idea that you have to have later firmware?

I wouldn't count much on Asus customer support.
    Master Help Guide--guide to help from the masters:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

T100 Master Help Guide:Caster's comprehensive guide to comprehending the T100
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

TF100 FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions about the TF100:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...s-guides-tips/

What Got Me In to All This Trouble--Linux live CD with ADB & Fastboot:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...x-live-cd.html

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links