Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: My TF300T goes flat in 48 hours on Stand-By.....why?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    7 times

My TF300T goes flat in 48 hours on Stand-By.....why?

A few days ago wiped my TF300T to Factory Settings and did the required updates to see if this would improve my battery problems. I did not install any extra updates beyond what comes as standard with Jelly Bean 4.2.1.

When I put my Tablet into standby by closing the lid and keyboard together the keyboard battery drained well within 24. After 48 hours the keyboard battery was at zero percent and the tablet battery was at seven percent. At no time did I use any apps or perform any tasks as I wanted to see how long the batteries would last.

Is this normal or is there really a problem with the battery consumption of my TF300T?

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    My question would be did you set ANYTHING up besides your Google account after the reset. The first thing I do with any Android device is to find all the active background apps and tell them only to work when I ask them to. If you set up mail, that could be a problem as could any active widgets like weather. You can see if entering airplane mode makes a difference, I suspect it will.

If you make no changes at all other than setup of the account there is still quite a bit if activity going on especially if WiFi is active.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Actually, me a few other guys have been doing some "research" on the often mysterious battery drain when the tablet (the TF700) is not in use. Although the results were anything but conclusive the biggest culprit seems to be Google services like Google Now, Maps which constantly wake the tablet from deep sleep.
    Install Wakelock detector and Better Battery Stats from the Play Store, check the results, disable the culprits and see if battery life improves.
    If it does, you're going to have to make a decision on how much you want and use these apps and services.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Google services is absolutely a "problem" as far as the percentage of the battery used, however it's still a relative figure. I have an Android phone that has Google Services consuming 50%+ of the battery regularly but still get nearly 48 hours of battery life.

Google Services is like a necessary evil. If 10 other apps are consuming 1% then that's a 10% drop per charge or 1 hour every 10 hours the device is on. That can make a potentially big difference.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    7 times
    Good evening chaps.

Thank you for both trying to help me. SInce I wiped my Tablet clean, installed only the basic updates and then let the batteries die, before charging them again, I let my Tablet sit in stand-by for 3 days. I only checked in on the batteries once a day at bed time to see their respective results.

This morning the keyboard battery was 0% while the Tablet battery was 78%.

At this exact moment the tablet is at 37%. I have oly used my tablet today, surfing, for about 4 hours. Two hours had it teathered and the other two hours were it was connected to my home router. I have not used anything else apart fromthe Calendar app.

All this is a positive sign than the Tablet, in its most basic Jelly Bean 4.2.2 mode is not excessively eating battery life on stand-by.

So, something must be sucking the life out of it. Now I have to hunt the culprit. My gut feeling is that the culprit may be BBC iPlayer, but I have to test this theory.

As for the google services, I use very few. Calandar, app data, browser, contacts and the odd gmail. I don't use anything else.

Things are promising. I just have to install an app at a time to see what kills the batteries.

I will of course try the apps suggested above. Hopefully they won't need Root access as I have not done this yet.

Cheers
    enduser2 and droidbound like this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    10 times
    I had the same problem with my Tablet. I had put it away in its Box for over 6 Months and given it up as a bad job. Took it out a few days ago ready to throw away.........Did a "Reset it to Factory Settings"..........still massive Battery Drain overnight............then I tried something else and it WORKED......no more battery drain when not in use. I TURNED OFF THE WIRELESS.......this solved the problem. It seems that although my Tablet was "Shut Down" it was still connecting Wirelessly to my Modem. Now the problem has gone away........JUST TOUCH THE 'WIRELESS' KEY (2nd Key from left of top row.) I hope this works for you. I am happy now that I can have the use of my Asus. Now I only switch on the Wireless when I need to go on the Web.
    enduser2 likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    That certainly would help but you may also have had a problem with the way your tab was communicating with the WiFi and was under stress. There are also quite a few apps that will use the Airplane mode, somewhat automatically, which has the same effect.

https://play.google.com/store/search...e%20don&c=apps

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    [QUOTE=SNOWDROP252;313974] I TURNED OFF THE WIRELESS.......this solved the problem. [QUOTE]

Have you checked your settings?

settings>Wireless and Networks>advanced>Keep wifi on during sleep - set to never
    settings>ASUS Customized setting>Disconnect network during sleep - set to always

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    10 times
    Pad has now been sitting idle for nearly 5 days....................Dock and Tablet Batteries have remained FULLY CHARGED.( Wireless Key pressed to shut off WiFi connection.) I will investigate the idea put forward by SWIPE, but at the moment all is well with the TF300 that I was on the point of throwing out in the Bin...!!!! JUST CHECKED...............Keep WiFi on during Sleep is set to "NEVER" and Disconnect network during sleep is set to "ALWAYS"............doesn't seem to be that. Anyway I will go by the old saying......"If it ain't broke don't fix it. " Thanks to you all that replied.
    enduser2 likes this.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    36 times
    I have used the settings that Swipe recomends for some time as my WiFi is using 62% of my battery, so I am going to try Snowdrops suggestion of switching off the WiFi before I put the TF700 to sleep. As I an not sure how quickly the WiFi disconnects after the pad is put in sleep mode.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links