Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Comparison - TF101 & TF300 - but do TF300s get spurious touch events when docked?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    11 times

Post Comparison - TF101 & TF300 - but do TF300s get spurious touch events when docked?

I upgraded from a TF101 to TF300 several months ago, and I thought I might try posting my thoughts on the differences I've noticed between the two devices. Some of them surprised me.

• TF300 is lighter.

The TF101 weighs about 5 oz less than the TF300.

• TF300 is faster.

The TF300 has a Tegra 3 processor while the TF101 has the Tegra 2. I don't usually care about benchmarks, but the TF300 is definitely snappier and more responsive. Browsing speed is notably improved. On the TF101 I regularly had to wait for pages to render, to the point where Android would often ask me if I wanted to close the app or wait some more. Choosing Wait would nearly always work, but it was annoying.

• TF300 runs JellyBean, while TF101 runs IceCreamSandwich.

This might be the real reason that the TF300 is faster. JellyBean is a much better optimised OS, and so it provides a superior and snappier user experience.

• TF101 has more dock ports.

The TF101's dock has two USB ports, while the TF300 only has one. This really surprised me, because I have many times used the dual USB ports to let me copy files from one flash drive to another very easily. On the TF300 I have to copy my files to internal storage first, or maybe I can see if a portable hub works? I haven't tried that.

• The TF101 has a mini HDMI port, while the TF300 has a micro HDMI port.

This really irked me, because I had actually bought the cable to let me connect my TF101, and now that cable is useless! Why did they change the size of the port? Grrr.

• The TF101 has stereo speakers, while the TF300 has only one speaker, on the right.

This also really surprised me. The sound quality on the TF101 is MUCH BETTER than the TF300, due to the quality and placement of the speakers.

• Battery life is comparable between the two devices.

• The behaviour of opening/closing the dock is different.

On both devices, closing the device when docked will put it to sleep right away, which is perfect.

However, on the TF101, opening the device wakes it up immediately. On the TF300, the device stays asleep until the power button is pressed. Why is this?

I also have seen poor behaviour when opening the TF300, where it will randomly behave as if some touch activity has occurred. I open the device, and the screen will scroll left or right randomly, and it might even launch one of my apps from the home screen, unexpectedly. This is very annoying.

The only way I could find to avoid suffering from the behaviour was to enable the auto-lock screen to engage, so that the lock screen could catch and avoid the erroneous tap events. But this then requires me to not only open the device, press the power button, then slide to unlock it. None of those steps were needed on the TF101!

I just installed a new update on the TF300 which seems to have modified this behaviour. It is now uncommon to receive an erroneous tap event on wakeup, although it still does happen sometimes. But I've been able to disable the lock screen and not have to suffer more than occasionally.

Still, I wish the device would auto-wake upon opening!

I heard on this forum that some users used to see the auto-wakeup behaviour when they first got their devices, but an update stopped that from working. Is that true? Is ASUS even aware of this problem?

So, having said all that, which device to I prefer?

Well, I do like the extra speed boost on the TF300; it makes interacting with most apps a pleasure, whereas the occasional lags on the TF101 were slightly annoying.

However, I really think that I prefer so much about the TF101: Rich, stereo sound. Multiple USB ports. Perfectly working and stable open/close sleep/wakeup behaviour.

I thought the TF300 might get better support from ASUS because it is newer and it runs JellyBean. But if ASUS can't even fix basic problems like opening and closing the dock, I have to wonder.
    Spacebridge likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Hi Sabrina. Try going to settings>Asus customized setting>MobileDock Battery Saving Mode -- uncheck Disable Wake-Up function on keyboard when device is asleep to save more power

See if that solves the docking problem you reported.

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    251 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    [*]TF101 has more dock ports.

The TF101's dock has two USB ports, while the TF300 only has one. This really surprised me, because I have many times used the dual USB ports to let me copy files from one flash drive to another very easily. On the TF300 I have to copy my files to internal storage first, or maybe I can see if a portable hub works? I haven't tried that.
    Unfortunately a hub won't help for this specific case, because the TF300 (and 201 and 700) will only let you mount one USB mass-storage device at the time (flash drive, external HDD etc). This is probably an OS limitation so it's a bit surprising. The "exception" to this rule is that you may have as many SD cards (in SD slots) mounted at the same time as you have slots for.. including at the same time as an USB memory stick is mounted. So you can easily copy between SD card and USB stick, but not between two USB sticks. (A hub works perfectly well in other respects though. Keyboard, mouse, usb stick, all at the same time. But not two usb sticks.)

[*]The TF101 has a mini HDMI port, while the TF300 has a micro HDMI port.

This really irked me, because I had actually bought the cable to let me connect my TF101, and now that cable is useless! Why did they change the size of the port? Grrr.
    It's a bit annoying with all these "standards" around.. standards are great, everyone should have their own, right? I ended up getting 3 different cables which covers my needs (micro, mini, standard). But there are actually small dongle-sized converts out there also, I bought a nice one from dealextreme (if my memory serves), it was pretty cheap.

[*]The TF101 has stereo speakers, while the TF300 has only one speaker, on the right.

This also really surprised me. The sound quality on the TF101 is MUCH BETTER than the TF300, due to the quality and placement of the speakers.
    That puzzled me about the TF201 as well.. when I got it I looked at this great device and wondered "why on earth only one speaker? Even my old little Nokia N800 tablet has two, and my phone even. Can't be for lack of room?" It's the same mono speaker on the TF700T as well btw.

-Tor

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    Try going to settings>Asus customized setting>MobileDock Battery Saving Mode -- uncheck Disable Wake-Up function on keyboard when device is asleep to save more power

See if that solves the docking problem you reported.
    I had experimented with that setting in the past, but I revisited it just to make sure.

The setting doesn't change the behaviour: When opening the tablet, it stays asleep, until the power button is pressed. The only change is that the tablet will also wake up if any key on the keyboard is pressed.

It's hard to tell if there's any change to the random tap behaviour upon wakeup, so I suppose I'll have to leave that setting in place for a while, to see if I see a random tap occur again.

However, it's disappointing that it doesn't change the auto-wakeup behaviour that works so perfectly on the TF101.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    11 times

Spurious touch events when opening docked tablet

I really thought I had posted about this before, but I'm unable to find a post about it. So I thought I would see if anyone else experiences this same problem.

From my older TF101, I'm used to being able to disable the "lock" screen because I keep my tablet docked nearly all the time. This allows simply snapping the tablet shut turn off the screen and lock the keys, and then simply opening the tablet later will wake up the screen and unlock, ready for work. I love it.

On the TF300, I am having trouble making this work. It seems like it should work.

When closing the tablet, the screen turns off and locks as it should.

But when opening the tablet, nothing happens. I must press the power button to wake up the tablet.

What's more, after performing these steps, the tablet nearly always generates random "touch" events. An app on the home screen might launch, or the screen might suddenly scroll to one side.

I can visualise the spurious touches if I go into Developer Mode and enable "Show Touches". This causes a small circle to appear anytime the screen is touched. Then, if I repeat these steps (close tablet, open tablet, press power button), I can see the random scattering of touches on the screen, even though I am not touching the screen at all.

The "MobileDock Battery Saving Mode" seems to have no bearing at all on this behaviour. Enabled or disabled makes no difference.

Curiously, the behaviour does not happen when turning off the screen via power button. It requires that the power-off be performed by closing the tablet.

So, the question: Is everyone else seeing this same behaviour, but you're all just living with it, ignoring it? Is it just my tablet that has something wrong with it? Please try this out on your own TF300 + Dock and see what yours does.

Currently I can minimise the problem behaviour by just enabling the "Slide Lock" screen. With that enabled, the spurious touch events hit the lock screen and are ignored. But this means that when I want to work with my tablet, I have to open it, press the power button, then slide the lock icon to start work. After using a TF101 without any of these problems, I guess I've been spoiled by how easy this is supposed to be, but isn't.

P.S. I seem to remember that, when I first received my TF300 over a year ago, it came with firmware running ICS Android, and at that time, I vaguely remember that I was able to have the tablet power up on opening the dock; I didn't have to use the power button. That behaviour was introduced only when I upgraded to JB soon afterward.

I wanted to try downgrading back to ICS to test this theory again, but I am unable to find that firmware on Asus' support site any longer. Does anyone have a pointer where I could find it?

Please try out the above tests on your own tablet, and let me know if you see this happening to you, too.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    I really thought I had posted about this before, but I'm unable to find a post about it. So I thought I would see if anyone else experiences this same problem.
    Yes, you had posted about it before, so I found the thread for you & have moved your new post into it. For future reference, you can always find all your posts from your user profile.

As far as the random touches are concerned, I'm wondering if the plastic case on the TF300 (which I thought was very flexible and lacking in robustness when I looked at one in store) is allowing flexing on your tablet, which in turn is allowing the screen to slightly "warp" thus giving rise to these spurious screen touches you are seeing? Just an idea, but we do get a great many posts here about cracked screens on the Tf300 - more than all the other models of Asus devices on the forum combined!! - so screen flexing is clearly an issue on the model. It was long ago documented on the forum that closing the TF300 combo by anywhere other than the centre of the tablet was a very poor idea, so there is another pointer for you, perhaps.

All the best

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    I'm sure the ghost touches are related to the way the dock grips the tablet at the bottom. When I first got my tf300 the dock would put pressure around the power button causing reboots.

I filed for an RMA with Asus and had a very good and fast experience with the process. When I sent it in, I didn't just tell the person in the phone what was wrong, I also typed up a note for the technician explaining the problem in detail which I attached to the tablet.

As for waking up by lifting the dock. Check for some sort of toggle under Settings/Asus Customized settings as that is where all the dock settings are.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    11 times

Question

Hmm, I had wanted this posted in a new thread in order to try to get more people to report whether they see this problem on their own tablets. With this hidden under my old comparison between TF101 and TF300, I worry that no one will notice it here...

Even though I describe the touch events as "random", the timing is never random. It only occurs when doing the following:

1. Close the tablet
    2. Wait as long as you like before proceeding.
    3. Open the tablet
    4. Wait as long as you like before proceeding.
    5. Press the power button

The spurious touches occur right after pressing the power button, and never at any other time. I can try to twist and turn and flex and warp the tablet as much as I dare, but no spurious touches. I can dock and undock the tablet all I want, no spurious touches. It only happens when performing the steps as given above, which suggests some sort of firmware interaction between the tablet and the dock, but doesn't seem to be a loose cable, because moving the device around doesn't cause it.

I tried searching for the older ICS firmware, but so far all of the links I've found in these forums point to the source being Asus, and Asus has deleted their old firmware. Is there another trusted repository of older firmware that I can go to?

Gtanner00, I know that your tablet committed suicide just the other day, so you're not able to try these steps yourself. But aren't there other TF300 dock users on this forum? Can you try these steps as I listed them, and they don't happen to you? That's really what I'm looking for, someone to do the following:

1. Go into Developer Mode on the tablet
    2. Enable Visible Touches
    3. Close the tablet
    4. Open the tablet
    5. Press the power button
    6. Watch for dot flashes on the screen right as it wakes up; do you see the touch events?

Can anyone try this on their TF300?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    5 times
    Sabrina,
    I have tried this on my TF300 with dock, and I do not see any "phantom touches" indicated on the screen upon waking.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Hmm, I had wanted this posted in a new thread in order to try to get more people to report whether they see this problem on their own tablets. With this hidden under my old comparison between TF101 and TF300, I worry that no one will notice it here...
    An interesting problem you are having there... And although I think it's very unique, if you want to attract more interest, just edit the title thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links