Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times

External HDD problems... please help

Hi everyone, I know every time I post now its nothing but problems, and I do apologize but I again have a dilema with my external HDD. I have originally formatted it on my TF300 dock and use it as a regular HD for my files, pics, music movies etc. When I plug it into my CPU and Laptop to try and back up some files and transfer, the CPU and Laptop proceed to erase everything on the external HDD every time. Is there a reason for this? Hopefully someone knows how to fix this. Thanks in advance for any help everyone.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Windows probably doesn't like the way android formatted the HDD. I would back everything up and let windows format the drive, then put everything back and you should be good to go.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times
    I would try that now but my HDD is at around 100 gb full. Ill give it a try when i can get some more SD cards and back up everything in pieces.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Another option if you have a linux box around anywhere is to fsck it and see if it finds anything.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    255 times
    How did you format the drive from the TF300? What type of filesystem did it get formatted to?

-Tor

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times
    I tried it once with my dock and formatted it with the tablet, and as others have said to try, I did another with the desktop i have. Both times it works fine for my tablet and desktop but if i use it on any desktop it loses all its date little by little. i noticed the first timek because i recorded a video of my son in his walker, so i wanted to have a copy on my wifes laptop so i plugged my HDD directly into her lap top and i noticed a few folders missing. So i was confused and decided to plug into my desktop and even more folders and now some files disappeared. It was frustrating to say the least.

So now i just keep my HDD plugged in the dock of my tablet, never lost a file since. I just dont want to bother anymore. I know its not the HDD either because i used it in my laptop before and was able to transfer all my data out of there and into my new desktop. Oh well, first world problems right?

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links