Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What is the best phone to "connect" to TF300T?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

What is the best phone to "connect" to TF300T?

Hi All.

After I realized that when I go to under the "more" on the Settings tab on my tablet. I discovered that there is a "Tethering & portable hotspot"

That brings me to my question. What are the "best" Android phones to "connect" to my TF300T. I was considering buying a "Galaxy Note II". Also is there an easy way to "set-up wi-fi hotspot" I'm all thumbs...(as far as this is concerned)

Robar
    Last edited by robar; 02-09-2013 at 06:31 PM.

Banned
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    81 times

Re: What is the best phone to "connect" to TF300T?

Hi Robar,
    Tethering is something that I have never done and know absolutely nothing about, but lets try this:
    HEY, FREDERUCO, HELP THIS PERSON!
    That should get some attention, and if there is anyone that can help you Freddies the guy.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    Frederuco likes this.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2667 times

The tethering section is mostly to tether other devices to share your tablets Internet.

I use an iPhone 5 hotspot to tether to my tablet. It just uses a wifi connection on my tablet to connect.

But, if you have a phone that only does Bluetooth tether, you can tether BT to the tablet, then use the tethering to share the BT connection via wifi.

You can also mooch off of a laptop connection via USB, or share a wifi connection via USB for a laptop that does not have USB.

Most smartphones can tether, unless it is blocked by your carrier. Some apps like PDAnet and FoxFi allow you to get around it, but if you get caught by your carrier they may charge you.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    8 times
    +1 what Frederuco says. I use my Galaxy Note, turn on it's Wifi hotspot feature and away I go. This helps out at the cabin (where I can get cell service).

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    98 times
    Welcome to the forum, Robar. Using a wifi hotspot (phone based or a separate mifi - CLICKY) is pretty straight forward. Pretty much turn on "wifi hotspot" and treat it like your wifi at home. As Frederuco mentions, with his adroit ability to remember the "little details", a lot depends on what your carrier will allow. Some will allow much, but not all internet access. With a mifi, you can expect full internet access.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

What is the best phone to "connect" to TF300T? more!

I thank everyone for all your information as given. But my question about what Android Cell phone works best? I know that iphone5 has a hotspot so
    it works good. I own a Samsung sunburst. No matter what I do it won't work with this tablet. & since this tablet is "wi-fi" I can't use it as the "hotspot".
    I've even tried the "sunburst" Bluetooth. and I've gotten NO-JOY. I think the iPhone is over-rated. I'm looking for a list of Android Cell Phones that
    work best with this tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    The tethering section is mostly to tether other devices to share your tablets Internet.

I use an iPhone 5 hotspot to tether to my tablet. It just uses a wifi connection on my tablet to connect.

But, if you have a phone that only does Bluetooth tether, you can tether BT to the tablet, then use the tethering to share the BT connection via wifi.

You can also mooch off of a laptop connection via USB, or share a wifi connection via USB for a laptop that does not have USB.

Most smartphones can tether, unless it is blocked by your carrier. Some apps like PDAnet and FoxFi allow you to get around it, but if you get caught by your carrier they may charge you.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    819 times
    Quote Originally Posted by robar View Post
    I thank everyone for all your information as given. But my question about what Android Cell phone works best? I know that iphone5 has a hotspot so
    it works good. I own a Samsung sunburst. No matter what I do it won't work with this tablet. & since this tablet is "wi-fi" I can't use it as the "hotspot".
    I've even tried the "sunburst" Bluetooth. and I've gotten NO-JOY. I think the iPhone is over-rated. I'm looking for a list of Android Cell Phones that
    work best with this tablet.
    Welcome to the forum Robar! I use FoxFi app on my Razr Maxx...works great...tethering and phone!
    Last edited by sculptedstylus; 02-10-2013 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Correcting Swype's auto-correct!
    Asus Eee Pad TF101; Samsung Galaxy S4; Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition; Galaxy Note 8

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2667 times
    I will agree, the iPhone 5 (as well as 4 and 4S) are VERY over-rated compared to Android equivalents. Also, without jailbreaking, it will ONLY tether if your carrier allows it (or you add it to your plan).

If my company did not mandate me to have an iPhone (that they pay for) I would have either a Samsung GS3 or a Galaxy Note 2. The only reason for the Note is that I have been contemplating a Nexus 7 and a Note 2 would replace the phone and 7" tablet in one device.

It is hard to say which device is the BEST to tether with as most smartphone have this ability (some with and some without carrier restrictions). I think the better approach is to check out phones that you want based on your carrier, budget, and features. Then go online and see if you can find a forum discussing tethering with that device. If it does BT or WiFi tethering, there is a 99% chance it will work fine with your tablet. If you are not sure, you can as here, or at Android.net, or a dedicated forum for the device (like S3Forums.com).

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Banned
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    81 times

Re: What is the best phone to "connect" to TF300T?

Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    I will agree, the iPhone 5 (as well as 4 and 4S) are VERY over-rated compared to Android equivalents. Also, without jailbreaking, it will ONLY tether if your carrier allows it (or you add it to your plan).

If my company did not mandate me to have an iPhone (that they pay for) I would have either a Samsung GS3 or a Galaxy Note 2. The only reason for the Note is that I have been contemplating a Nexus 7 and a Note 2 would replace the phone and 7" tablet in one device.

It is hard to say which device is the BEST to tether with as most smartphone have this ability (some with and some without carrier restrictions). I think the better approach is to check out phones that you want based on your carrier, budget, and features. Then go online and see if you can find a forum discussing tethering with that device. If it does BT or WiFi tethering, there is a 99% chance it will work fine with your tablet. If you are not sure, you can as here, or at Android.net, or a dedicated forum for the device (like S3Forums.com).
    Frederuco,
    You have piqued my attention. But first, here is our story. My wife got a Motorola some years ago and I got an Iphone 3gs. We thought we would compare the two. Within two weeks my wife threw up her hands and said we had to get rid of the Mororola. Fortunately, AT&T let us return it and get another Iphone 3gs. We found the Iphones to be so much more intuitive and user friendly than the Motorola (our only experience with an android phone). We are now in a position that we can update our phones and choose an android one if we want to. Could you please give us an idea why the Iphones are VERY over-rated compared to android equivalents? What can the android phones accomplish that the Iphone cannot, and are the android phones as intuitive and user friendly as the Iphones? There are possibly others that read this forum that also may be interested in your answers.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    Frederuco likes this.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2667 times

I will add my thoughts later today. On a plane waiting for the door to close.

Swipe likes this.

crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads