Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Finger print under gorilla glass?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    81 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vipergrm View Post
    I specifically said to the female customer service rep when I called to log the fault that the device had been unlocked and I asked if this would be a problem. Her reply was that, because this was not software related then this would not be a problem. If that is the case then I have been ill-informed. In addition to this; if Asus are saying there is no warranty whatsoever with unlocked devices then why are they providing unlock codes? That is totally wrong. Once again, this has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that the device is unlocked.
    The reason Asus are providing the unlock tool is that their customers demanded that they do so - Asus, in return, took the quite reasonable step to protect themselves against potential fraudulent warranty claims from people who had unlocked and then broken the software in their devices by making loss of warranty a condition of using the unlock tool.

In your case, I agree that the fact you have unlocked your TF is irrelevant to the problem you have and your warranty claim - although just how you prove to Asus that you haven't opened the device I don't know, short of identifying exactly whose finger print it is.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    That notice does not mention anything about the hardware not being covered. I also have the name of the operator who I called and the exact time and date. This person also raised the RMA so should be easy to track.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    It looks like a finger print. The device most certainly has never been opened. I have no reason to open it. If they claim that it has been opened then I'd like them to be at least be able to prove this somehow. Like I say though. It has never, ever been opened.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    98 times

Re: Finger print under gorilla glass?

Quote Originally Posted by vipergrm View Post
    I specifically said to the female customer service rep when I called to log the fault that the device had been unlocked and I asked if this would be a problem. Her reply was that, because this was not software related then this would not be a problem. If that is the case then I have been ill-informed. In addition to this; if Asus are saying there is no warranty whatsoever with unlocked devices then why are they providing unlock codes? That is totally wrong. Once again, this has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that the device is unlocked.
    I am not legal council. Check the Magnuson-moss act. It appears that under that act a defect of hardware would be covered regardless of the changes in software. Ie if you buy a computer with windows and install Linux and the motherboard later fails the company would have to replace the motherboard.

If you purchased the device via credit card, go to them about warranty. Next option return the device to the retailer and force a credit card charge back.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    vipergrm likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by osmosis View Post
    I am not legal council. Check the Magnuson-moss act. It appears that under that act a defect of hardware would be covered regardless of the changes in software. Ie if you buy a computer with windows and install Linux and the motherboard later fails the company would have to replace the motherboard.

If you purchased the device via credit card, go to them about warranty. Next option return the device to the retailer and force a credit card charge back.

Thank you for the reply. As a matter of fact I did purchase this item with a credit card. I'll talk to Asus tomorrow to see how they've come to this decision and then maybe go down the credit card route. I bought the device from Currys so pretty sure its a waste of time even attempting to return it to them.

Banned
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    81 times

Quote Originally Posted by osmosis View Post

I have two questions relative to your post, osmosis. First, the OP mentions that Asus quoted repair costs in Euros. If the OP resided in the US, I don't think the quote would be in Euros, and if the OP does not reside in the US, I don't think the Magnuson-Moss act would be applicable. Second, I don't know if your interpretation of that act is well founded. If it were then companies like Asus would not be able to terminate warranty coverage because one roots the operating system (and all companies seem to do the same as Asus). According to your interpretation, rooting and flashing the operating system would involve only software and thus the manufacturer could not terminate warranty of the hardware. Yet that practice is universally applied in the US. Do you know of any instance where the Magnuson-Moss act has been applied to reverse the practice of terminating warranties?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    98 times

Quote Originally Posted by IdaUte View Post
    I have two questions relative to your post, osmosis. First, the OP mentions that Asus quoted repair costs in Euros. If the OP resided in the US, I don't think the quote would be in Euros, and if the OP does not reside in the US, I don't think the Magnuson-Moss act would be applicable. Second, I don't know if your interpretation of that act is well founded. If it were then companies like Asus would not be able to terminate warranty coverage because one roots the operating system (and all companies seem to do the same as Asus). According to your interpretation, rooting and flashing the operating system would involve only software and thus the manufacturer could not terminate warranty of the hardware. Yet that practice is universally applied in the US. Do you know of any instance where the Magnuson-Moss act has been applied to reverse the practice of terminating warranties?

I was quick on the trigger for posting, I apologize. I wrote half my thoughts and got distracted and called away. Came back and hit post. I meant to add some amplifying info. The mag moss ref was to lead into the suggestion that a similar law may be applicable in other countries. I bet the UK has better consumer laws than us here.

Companies can state anything they want as their policy. It does not mean that this is totally lawful. Many companies ask for Id when using a credit card, its company policy, yet there is no law that mandates me supplying it and I make that clear. Even if you comply with terms and conditions does not make what they are asking you to comply to legal. I could rent a house and put anything in the contract I want, but it may not be enforceable, but I could try and see what I could get. As long as i cover the required parts i can add what i want. If the renter doesn't object then I would be good to go.

I do not know MM being used for electronics, I personally have luckily had all my stuff warrantied even under questionable circumstances sometimes past the actual time with a little sugar, followed by forcefulness and then threats that I can enforce. Idle unenforceable threats will get you nowhere. However a threat of a letter to corporate as a "reasonable" person gets results. Like including the reps name in a little letter from my lawyer. For 50.00 a lawyers letter is priceless. Also everyone has a boss and that boss does not want his boss getting a letter. Take names, take names and take names. Get in a non aggressive conversation with the store manager empathize with his position, friend him and in the middle of a sentence say " and your bosses name is?" As you write it down.

As for MM being used. We have used the threat of that law to get repairs done to company vehicles. By law you don't have to do any maintenance to a vehicle and MM says that warranty repair cannot be denied due to missed or non existent maintenance or installation of aftermarket parts or modifications not approved by the manufacturer. Ie, if we don't change the oil and it trashes the motor, the dealer has to prove explicitly that our lack of maintenance was the cause. Not the other way around. If we replace a lightbulb and the headlight switch later fails. The warranty still covers the headlight switch.

Now apply that dividing hardware - the physical device and software -the operational part. If the software is altered that is one thing that has no bearing on hardware like a switch. If a mechanical switch falls out how is that a software issue. if i have Linux on a machine that came with windows and the power button falls off, that is a warranty repair if within the warranty time. The software did not make cause or contribute to the broken switch.

vipergrm likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Just called Asus this morning and was advised that the reason it is not covered is nothing to do with the fact that the device us unlocked. In fact, the reason it isn't covered is that I have (some how) caused the fault by pressing the screen too hard! Honestly, this gets worse. I do not recall at any stage pressing the screen "too hard". I would literally have to hit it with a hammer. I am asbolutely furious right now because when I asked to speak to a manager I was advised that they have no escalation point and that my issue would be forwarded to their level 2 support team. It will take up to 72 hours for them to reply. My device has been away for more than a week now so another 72 hours is just not good enough. I'm going to contact my credit card company and see what they can do about getting the money back. This is totally unacceptable.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I just called my credit card company who put me in contact with the payment protection team. Apparently this is only covered for the first 90 days of purchase? They or more or less said there is nothing they can do for me. Now I really am completely stuck. Asus have my device to ransom and my credit card company can't do anything either. Brilliant

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Here is a better picture of the mura on my screen

Last edited by vipergrm; 02-08-2013 at 04:54 AM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Ads