szu
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300TL (4G)
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by frenziedfemale View Post
    Have you asked AT&T to unlock it? In Canada most cell phone providers will unlock your device for a fee, if you have a Telus device, Telus would unlock it, but they do charge for it.
    Since I live in Poland and device is here I send my mom to at&t local store. She asked if they can unlock my device but there was one bad manner guy who said if she buy anything with new plan he will provide an unlock code (sic!)
    Is there any valid at&t support email?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300TL (4G)
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello everyone. Is there any solution to this problem yet? Can anyone update?

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    100 times
    AT&T has had their hardware vendors employ increasingly sophisticated techniques to keep subsidized devices "locked" to AT&T during the contract period. They pay a portion of the cost of the device, and expect you to spend a certain amount of money on their services in return. Unfortunately, it is often difficult, in certain markets, to find factory unlocked versions of these devices. It's a particularly common practice in the US.

To the best of my knowledge, your only recourse with a US market Android tablet locked to AT&T would be to contact AT&T, tell them you live outside the US and was not familiar with US "locking practices" and ask for an unlock. However, be prepared to be asked to pay a significant fee for this.

Our son is an IT tech for a large corporation, and told me that the "locking" feature is not in the SIM, and in some devices is actually hard coded in the device. That hard coding cannot be changed, even with a full OS/firmware replacement. The locking code "looks" at the SIM to see if it's from the "locking" provider. If not, it gives an error message for an "unauthorized SIM". At that point, you can enter an long "unlocking code" via the keyboard, which, if successful, will be stored in the device to allow the device to work with other networks' SIMs from then on. On more advanced "locking" schemes, this unlocking code has to be generated by an algorithm that is dependent upon a unique device ID number (sometimes the serial number) in the device that the locking/unlocking routine has access to. Thus, the "unlocking code" for one device will be totally different from any another device. Of course, the vendor does not release the algorithm for computing the unlocking code to anyone outside their firm. For "simpler" algorithms, internet "unlocking services" can get their hands on a few devices, go through unlocking and then backward engineer the algorithms. However, some algorithms are not just simple math, and are very difficult to crack.
    Last edited by Aviator47; 02-25-2013 at 10:03 AM.

szu
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300TL (4G)
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator47 View Post
    AT&T has had their hardware vendors employ increasingly sophisticated techniques to keep subsidized devices "locked" to AT&T during the contract period. They pay a portion of the cost of the device, and expect you to spend a certain amount of money on their services in return. Unfortunately, it is often difficult, in certain markets, to find factory unlocked versions of these devices. It's a particularly common practice in the US.

To the best of my knowledge, your only recourse with a US market Android tablet locked to AT&T would be to contact AT&T, tell them you live outside the US and was not familiar with US "locking practices" and ask for an unlock. However, be prepared to be asked to pay a significant fee for this.

Our son is an IT tech for a large corporation, and told me that the "locking" feature is not in the SIM, and in some devices is actually hard coded in the device. That hard coding cannot be changed, even with a full OS/firmware replacement. The locking code "looks" at the SIM to see if it's from the "locking" provider. If not, it gives an error message for an "unauthorized SIM". At that point, you can enter an long "unlocking code" via the keyboard, which, if successful, will be stored in the device to allow the device to work with other networks' SIMs from then on. On more advanced "locking" schemes, this unlocking code has to be generated by an algorithm that is dependent upon a unique device ID number (sometimes the serial number) in the device that the locking/unlocking routine has access to. Thus, the "unlocking code" for one device will be totally different from any another device. Of course, the vendor does not release the algorithm for computing the unlocking code to anyone outside their firm. For "simpler" algorithms, internet "unlocking services" can get their hands on a few devices, go through unlocking and then backward engineer the algorithms. However, some algorithms are not just simple math, and are very difficult to crack.
    Now that's what I call a proper answer to the question. Thank You so much!

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by szu View Post
    Now that's what I call a proper answer to the question. Thank You so much!
    No big deal. I'll pass the thanks to our son, from whom the info came. He has to deal on a regular basis with huge ego executives who want to be able to use their personally owned, "locked" smart phones with a corporate provided SIM (beats paying for the calls and data out of their own pockets), without being tied to the company's mass purchased phones. Typically they will say something like, "It's readily available on the internet, you should be able to do it." Of course, our son is not in a position to tell them to do their own illicit unlocking at their own time and expense, so he has to offer these two reasons for saying "no". 1. For legal reasons, corporate policy prevents him from any "unlock" or "jailbreak" that is not a legitimate act of the device provider. 2. Even if the company didn't have such restraints, the phones typically are "hard wired" to preclude such unauthorized unlocking.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    81 times
    Even if it was possible to find an unlock code on the internet, at the moment it is illegal in the USA for any one, other than the carrier the device was originally locked to, to provide a code to unlock the device from the carrier.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Even if it was possible to find an unlock code on the internet, at the moment it is illegal in the USA for any one, other than the carrier the device was originally locked to, to provide a code to unlock the device from the carrier.
    YES! A recent change in the US law, and worth being keenly aware of. It would also be prudent, if buying an "unlocked" device in the US to be certain that it is "Factory Unlocked". However, also note that the law applies only to unlocking devices after Jan 2013, so older devices that have already been unlocked are definitely "grandfathered" and fully legal. Of course, "unlocking" does not terminate any remaining contractual obligations to pay for service. If your contract said you had to pay for 2 years service, then you are legally bound to pay for that service. However, under the new law, at the end of that 2 years, the phone now cannot be unlocked by anyone other than the carrier to which it was locked at the time of purchase.

The prudent decision for anyone in the US who may be considering a valid need for an "unlocked" phone would be to pay the premium to buy "factory unlocked" in the first place. You have to balance the deep discount given on the phone with the added expense and inconvenience of it being permanently locked. This is a cost analysis well worth doing if you spend any time outside the US, as US data rates, especially when "roaming" run as much as 5 to 10 times higher than typical European rates.

ALSO- do not rule out an unlocked MiFi device for your tablet's data needs. Works just fine, and if your tablet needs to be replaced, you don't have to buy a 3G/4G/LTE enabled tablet again.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300TL (4G)
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you so much for a comprehensive explanation. Shall try my luck with AT&T, or else go for a mifi option. Thanks again!

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanvirtech View Post
    Thank you so much for a comprehensive explanation. Shall try my luck with AT&T, or else go for a mifi option. Thanks again!
    I would suggest you speak to AT&T before buying, unless you want to use them for data in the US and take your chances overseas. You could do AT&T in the US and Mifi overseas if you want, if AT&T isn't cooperative.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300TL (4G)
    Liked
    0 times
    Boa noite. Após várias tentativas de achar o modelo Asus Transformer TF300TG no Brasil e não encontrar meu teve oportunidade de ir aos EUA a trabalho e comprou lá o produto Asus Transformer TF300TL. Sei que a rede 4G dele não vai funcionar no Brasil devido frequencia diferente, mas imagino que na 3G é possível. Acontece que o produto ele me disse que é bloqueado AT&T. Preciso saber se ele vai funcionar aqui na rede 3G normal ou vai ter que fazer um desbloqueio e se é possível fazer o mesmo? Agradeço e aguardo retorno.

Good evening. After several attempts to find the model Asus Transformer TF300TG in Brazil and had not found my chance to go to USA to work there and bought the product Asus Transformer TF300TL. I know the 4G network it will not work in Brazil because often different, but I imagine that is possible in 3G. It turns out that the product he told me he is locked AT & T. I need to know if it will work here in normal or 3G network will have to do an unlock and you can do the same? Thanks and look back.
    Last edited by diegoreeves; 02-28-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads