Thread: Asus TF300: A great disappointment

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times

Asus TF300: A great disappointment

Without any prior experience with Android OS or a tablet device, I landed on TF300, which did not come with ANY user's manual or any document that would hel; me getting started. So, much of what I've learned has been from reading off the internet and figuring it out on my own by trial-n-error.

Then came the disastrous update last month from ICS to the stupid thing called Jelly Bean. Ever since JB, Flash video stopped working (Android 4.x no longer supported)! And many annoying clitches surfaced, including the sudden and frequent restart
    shut down that have been reported by numerous users. Today, the push update from Asus got installed but NO IMPROVEMENT: the shut down and restart problems persist!

As much as I hate Apple for its tyrannic corporate culture, I cannot say I am a fan of Android device either, especially not with ASUS, which provides absolutely no support ever since I bought the tablet. ASUS tech support is non existence as far as I am concerned because they never answer the call or email messages.

So, if my friends and co-workers ask me about ASUS, all I could say to them is change one of the letters of ASUS to an "N" and never spend money on any ASUS ever!
    leoborg likes this.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    104 times
    A year ago I wondered what the heck is a android ? Now I own one . This one is basically a device with a 10 inch screen that uses an operating system developed for telephones and to funnel money to Google .
    I like you am still figuring it all out . I like it .
    This forum has been a great help to me . Maybe if you could leave post whenever a problem arises one of the gracious members of this forum could lead you in the right direction to help solve it or find a workaround for it . The people here as far as I know do not work for ASUS they seem to be here in support for each other .
    I hope your visit isn't just a one time drive by mooning .
    eejit and mjinks like this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    479 times
    Welcome, Silk.

Before you do anything drastic you should read through the master help guide...LINK

Look at the Jelly Bean forum too...LINK

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1006 times
    Well said Wallydog.

I bought a tuba.
    Know nothing about wind instruments.

...man am I mad at that tuba.
    Not to mention Yamaha--the maker of the tuba. And Carl Mortiz for that matter, the inventor of the dastardly brass thing.
    Last edited by eejit; 09-20-2012 at 06:14 PM.
    FXSarge, MikeM, leeshor and 4 others like this.
    TF 201 w/dock (4.1.1)
    The Master Help Guide

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    31 times
    You can download the manual from asus.com, if you still need it.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    You shouldn't be having reboots return it something is wrong.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Must admit I'm a little disappointed in it, it just seems very sluggish and unresponsive, unlike the snappiness of an iPad. Many of the apps are for the phone and aren't designed for the tablet which makes the whole tablet experience in my eyes pointless. Would have been better off buying an Android phone with a large screen.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    8 times
    I sympathize with those that have problems. But, for the most part, it's not Android or Jelly Bean in particular. I have had mine a couple months now. No reboots. And while yes, many apps are for phone size devices, that's the individual developer not building for tablets. It's not a Google problem.

And ASUS pretty much gave us pretty close to pure Android (unlike some vendors like Acer and others) but I believe some of their hardware drivers needed (or still need) tweaking.

Overall there is not much wrong with the TF300. Visit forums for all sorts of other devices and you will find those that are disappointed by this or that. Yes there are posts on this (and other forums) that praise their devices, but you will more often find complaints than praises because those are the folks that need more help.

I personally do not like the iOS experience. Navigating through its interface is basically one path in, one path out. It works, but I just prefer the way I get around in Android.

One last note: The mobile tech industry is moving very fast. This results in so many models that become obsolete in 12-18 months and most manufacturers just can't keep up support for too many models. I think it's because it takes more time to fix things than it does to come up with new models. And resources are allocated to the upcoming stuff more than the legacy stuff. Yes, I know, it would be great if they gave the legacy users as much attention. The advantage Apple has is that their OS tends to be backwards compatible and thus don't keep as many customers left out in the cold.

Okay, my ranting and raving are complete

John

PS: I've done them all MacOS, Windows (3.1 thru 7), iOS (phones, ipods, ipads), Linux and Android (computers, tablets) so I consider myself well versed, but not an expert.
    Mimo likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    4 times
    Hi op

I have the tf300 for abut 2 months now. I originally regretted buying it. It was sluggish at best. I didn't have any reboot problems. i honestly thought of returning or reselling it. My mum has an iPad and it's much more responsive. UNTIL this latest update. Now my tf300 is flying.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SkookumPete View Post
    You can download the manual from asus.com, if you still need it.
    I am an old lady with no android or tablet experience. I didn't even have a smartphone until recently. I owned an ereader. I purchased the TF300 totally on impulse. I then went home and did research. I went to ASUS.com and downloaded the user manual and then went thru it page by page learning how to use this tablet. I found this site which has been a big help. My tablet has given me no problems. Updates have gone fine and I am grateful to get them FOR FREE. Do as SkookumPete suggests: download the manual, familiarize yourself with the tablet and give it some time before you so harshly judge it.
    MikeM, janner43, eejit and 5 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads