Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

basic techniques & skills

Okay, I've been a PC user a long, long time; Did the windows evolution; Played with the apple into mac evolution; Did handhelds and the whole cellular phone evolution. Basically I'm an instructions reader and then I file them for at least as long as I have the product. BUT ....

These days those "basic" how-to documents tend to be brief tours, etc. That's fine I adjust. I somehow missed that on my new TF300T. I THINK I saw it briefly as I was plugging it in to charge initially. But I hit whatever button to make it go away so I could actually do the initial charge. Which I ended up going through their endless set up questions. WHY DO THEY TELL YOU TO CHARGE BEFORE USING but the minute you plug it in it starts 100 questions and won't let you stop?

So now there are a few things that are driving me crazy that I don't know. Like:

1) How do you close (yes close/shut down) an app while in that app? Not the go to home find your task manager close the app process. (This drove me crazy with the iPhone 3Gs as well)
    2) When you power off, does it actually shut down and then reboot when turned on? If not how do you reboot?
    3) What gestures does ICS generally recognize? Is there something for selecting? Can you drag selections in the general apps...(I know some apps have that specifically)?
    4) Is the only basic way to uninstall something by going to Play and clicking to uninstall?

Thanks! I know probably silly little things but it will start making my life a little easier!

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    1) How do you close (yes close/shut down) an app while in that app? Not the go to home find your task manager close the app process. (This drove me crazy with the iPhone 3Gs as well)

Some apps have a menu option to close or exit but most require that you tap the recently used icon that brings up the list on the left and you can swipe to the side to make them go away but that technically doesn't close anything. Some apps do close on their own when you go back using the back button, but the memory management is so good it typically isn't necessary to actually close apps that don't close on their own.

2) When you power off, does it actually shut down and then reboot when turned on? If not how do you reboot?

If you tap the power button it only goes into sleep mode. But holding the button and taping OK does in fact turn it off.

3) What gestures does ICS generally recognize? Is there something for selecting? Can you drag selections in the general apps...(I know some apps have that specifically)?

I don;t think I completely understand that question. If your asking if you can drag a document into a word processor the answer would be no.

4) Is the only basic way to uninstall something by going to Play and clicking to uninstall?

Go to the app drawer (little icons upper right) and find the app. Long press and drag to the icon that appears at the top called uninstall.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks. Helpful, not miracles but I am grateful for actual answers. The first 2 I expected. #3 - I have no experience with gesture computing, so I don't know what to ask exactly. Once I get the issues resolved I'll find bluetooth keyboard to save my sanity. #4 has been very useful already!

Super Moderator & Forum Sleuth
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1118 times
    MrH, when I wore your shoes I read some advice here about an app called ES File Explorer. It's a free download, and it may/will help you out with your "number 3". It gives you a few more options than the stock file manager....if you long press a file in ES the pop up menu that appears has more options--makes things a little easier to move around with "copy to..." and "move to..." as well as the ability to create some desktop icons. It's a bit more what you'd be used to on a desktop.

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Some fairly common gestures:

Tap to select or open a link
    Long press - used to drag icons and Widgets around. Also long press to select text then drag the grips to get the letter word or sentence. Also may be used as a right click menu in some apps like a browser.
    1 finger swipe to scroll a browser. Also used to get rid of a notification in the popular by the clock. Same for recent apps, just swipe it left or right and it is gone (and closed in most cases).
    2 finger pinch to zoom
    2 finger to rotate in maps/ navigation apps

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    I recommend reading through...
    The Master Help Guide

Especially the first section which focusses on android.
    Also http://www.transformerforums.com/for...er-guides.html
    & the TF300 user manual, here... ASUS - Tablet- ASUS ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    THANK YOU!!!!

I Installed ES File Explorer. Selecring, copying, etc text seems easier. I hadn't connected the 2. The length and pressures that qualify seem inconsistent but probably user issues there.

The guides look promising. I copied the first page into Evernote (my personal online how-to, where is it, etc) collection. From that I can use the note's links (From any of my devices) to go to the webpage to read or refer back to the guide. Thank you for sharing it!

BTW doesn't work that way with tablet. Getting notes into evernote is strange as well. Seems odd since it worked fine copy/paste on smartphones, but ....

Super Moderator & Forum Sleuth
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1118 times
    MrH, you may want to have a look at Kingsoft Office. It's another free app that will more closely resemble something you're used to on a desktop. (ie. Microsoft Office etc) Basically a more robust text editor than the stock app--Polaris Office or Evernote etc It will open a variety of file types and for the price--free--it's hard to top. Glad to hear ES File Manager worked out for you too, saved me a lot of headache as well.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    I really don't even want to start thinking wp and spreadsheet, etc apps yet. I gave up on MS before I moved into Win 7 3 years ago. Started with Open Office. Then started Linux/Ubuntu and I've been using a little of this and a little of that but open source formats.. I know on the phone I had bought one of 2 programs but I'm not sure which (documents to go or quickoffice) but I don't think I ever really used them. with the small screen and the tiny keys, etc apps for simple on the go creation worked better. Now I'll need to do editing, creating and saving (possibly printing). I'll put Kingston on my list to check out. I recall seeing it over the weekend but don't think I ever had before. Nothing converts both way yet, a simple Reader can serve most of my needs .

I will be missing the syncing of files so things I do on the home PC are always accessible on my mobile (and reverse as well). Of course since it is now 1 mobile device not 2-3 a new technique will work out...I just have to figure out what it is! I'm really disappointed with the evernote web functionality, but I need to explore that more. Google has changed a lot with their browser and that combined with the Android OS may mean evernote isn't on board yet.

I use a multi-storage location system. Evernote is a wiki of online pages, coding documentations & how-tos, documents, etc; Dropbox is my always everywhere installation downloads, graphics, pictures, fonts, themes, sounds, ringtones, manuals. I used it to pull my mobile pictures & videos then can save them or edit them on whichever device I choose. My home storage unit is a NAS/Cloud/Media Server so all my backups and "archivable" documents/files are there PLUS my iTunes files and Audible files and Original clean copies of all my digital medial. Multiple locations....that's without looking at Google Drive or iCloud, or now ASUS Cloud, and Shoeboxed....So most everything is safe to some extent regardless.. After 18 mos of doing factory resets ever 5-10 days with worthless backups I choose to make sure my files are self-possessed and copied somewhere.

way off topic! Sorry!

I'm working on the Help Guide as I try to download firmware/updates. Love learing new tricks!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300TG (3G)
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eejit View Post
    MrH, when I wore your shoes I read some advice here about an app called ES File Explorer. It's a free download, and it may/will help you out with your "number 3". It gives you a few more options than the stock file manager....if you long press a file in ES the pop up menu that appears has more options--makes things a little easier to move around with "copy to..." and "move to..." as well as the ability to create some desktop icons. It's a bit more what you'd be used to on a desktop.
    I use ES File explorer myself. its just greate, also best way I found to accsess my Lan at home and stream video or music.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links