Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    33 times

XBMC for Android (on the TF300)

I have a TF300T 32Gb and a Galaxy Nexus. It seems that XBMC for Android (the real deal, not remote controllers or streamers) starts and run faster (menu navigation) on the Galaxy Nexus then the Transformer Pad 300, I couldn't play the videos on the Nexus though, it's software rendered so far and it doesn't play the videos fluidly, it really keeps freezing every second. I'll upload videos later, just waiting the camera battery get some charge first.

So far, from my experience on the Nexus, the buttons are really hard to hit since they are too small, something they described as a challenge on the beta release note. On the TF300T it's very different, the buttons are actually easy to hit, they are not that small on his big screen. On the Nexus, as I probably said before, it's impossible to play good quality videos, actually it's impossible to play SD video. On the TF300T it fells like it's almost there, even though it's rendered via software. A 720p BluRay RIP doesn't play smoothly, though it's almost there as I said. But I have these old X-Files Second Season DVD SD RIPs, they are x264 AVC, AC3 192kbs in mkv that run as smoothly as it should!

One thing I couldn't figure out is the Subtitle Encoding. For some reason there's no UTF-8. On my computer I use System Default so the software can figure it out, on Android it's not working properly or there is no Encode for my language, Brazilian Portuguese. But I think that's impossible, XBMC team would never do that.

More about it here: XBMC for Android, the official release page from XBMC and looks like more are discussed on the Pivos forums

ON THE GALAXY NEXUS

ON THE TRANSFORMER PAD 300

Here the screens on the Transformer Pad 300

Here the screens on the Galaxy Nexus

Last edited by mizifih; 07-18-2012 at 01:04 AM.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Z87M-Plus | i7 4770k + H100i | Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB @1600
    AMD HD 7970 OC 3GB Corsair 650W | HAF 922 | AVerMedia Live Gamer Portable
    Galaxy Note II | Transformer Pad 300 32GB+Dock+32GB SDHC C10

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    obviously this is the beta release correct? the same one i have and it runs on my transformer beautifully
    i run xbmc on my pc and my apple tv 2 and i love that i can use it on the transformer

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    33 times
    Yeah, it's a beta release indeed! I've been using XBMC for God knows how long now. I love it! For me it's the best Media Center out there. It doesn't run beautifully on my Pad 300 though. But it's mostly due the software rendering, once hardware decoders start being used, it's going to be XBMC all the way! It'll probably have the best player for Android. Since it's open source, probably better players will come out too. Don't get me wrong, I like the MX Player, I use it, but I think it's not there yet (even though it's closer then far).

I made those videos, so that's pretty much the experience I have on the TF300.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Anyone have any luck with the Infinity TF700? I just got mine, loaded XBMC but it just hangs with a black screen.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    33 times
    I noticed that it get stuck with when ADW Launcher is running, screen kinda blinks really fast. But that doesn't happen all the time. I gave up using ADW anyways. It doesn't play HD videos on my TF300T anyways.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    33 times
    ORIGINAL HERE: Pivos Forums • View topic - sneak peek: XBMC with hw acceleration

Here is a little sneak peek for all of you who cant wait (like me) to get an xbmc apk with hw acceleration for the XIOS DS. I just compiled the source with davillas pull request to add support for amlplayer, an internal player for hardware accelerated video playback on amlogic based SoCs.

Of course, this build is far from being stable, but alot of stuff allready works. Here some infos about the build:

Default Theme: Confluence
    What works:
    hw accelerated video playback
    streaming over samba
    What doesn't work:
    webdav streaming
    video buffering
    probably a lot more...

You can download it here: http://goo.gl/7yq5f

Just remember, this is unstable so don't report bugs or request features for this. Team xbmc is working very hard to push this forward.
    Btw: I don't take any responsibility if your XIOS will explode, starts talking or does some other strange things

All credit goes to the xbmc team and especially to davilla for his great work to integrate amlplayer. Have fun

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE: 2012-07-22 Just compiled it again (same download link). This time from xbmc teams git repos as davillas pull request has been merged to it. There are also 2 new commits from davilla which improve stability. As far as i can tell video buffering is still not working, but xbmc no longer crashes when this happens
    I also upgraded my free dropbox account to pro, as the public download link generated too much traffic for a free account
    Download should now work again.

@davilla:
    As you asked: Video streamed over samba just freezes for 1 or 2 seconds and continues playing for a short time, then freezes again (and so on) when wan/lan connection is not fast enough, but xbmc doesn't open the little "buffer" window which shows percentage of video buffer. Also it seems that xbmc does not fill the buffer in such a case which leads to an endless freeze and play loop.
    Hope this helps and again: thnx alot for your work on this awesome mediaplayer and of course to the rest of the team

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE: 2012-07-24 Compiled a new build including all new commits since the last build (Jul 22). More infos @
    https://github.com/xbmc/android/comm...droid-rebase-8

This time i also added a complete log of the build process. Just download it here:
    http://goo.gl/YgKYC

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    XBMC for Android hits beta! XBMC 12 Frodo - Beta 3 | XBMC
    Interface is working perfect, however, HD playback (720p at least) makes it crash to homescreen.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    38 times
    Can you provide a link for xbmc on the app store... Thanks
    Its mind over matter - What does it matter never mind - by me

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    33 times

Re: XBMC for Android (on the TF300)

Quote Originally Posted by Cattblue View Post
    Can you provide a link for xbmc on the app store... Thanks
    You have to download at the official website, no Play Store download so far. The link is on his post.

- Sent from the Future using my Delorean
    - Enviado do Futuro usando meu Delorean

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    38 times
    Ok, thanks mizifih...
    Its mind over matter - What does it matter never mind - by me

Remove Ads