Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times

Question Worried about probability of cracked screen with dock

Hi everyone,
    I just ordered the beautiful white TF300 bundle online and was super excited, but then started seeing all the posts and reviews complaining about cracked screens when used with the official dock. I will be heading for college after summer so I was planning on keeping the dock on most of the time, so this issue is killing my piece of mind . I couldnt find a significant amount of posts or complaints... but still, can someone give me some info on the subject? I still have time to cancel the order before it ships out.

Any help appreciated,
    Cheese

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2667 times
    Welcome to the forum!

There are some users who had this issue with the TF201, and some with the TF300.

Compared to the number of users who have the devices that are not complaining about it, I would say it is a few isolated cases, I would guess due to a manufacturing tolerances that cause the cracks to occur.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post

Compared to the number of users who have the devices that are not complaining about it, I would say it is a few isolated cases
    Thx for replying, thats what I thought, but after spending 540 dollars I couldn't get it out of my head, i guess ill just stick with the order and hope for the best

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    690 times
    Quote Originally Posted by epiccheese View Post
    Thx for replying, thats what I thought, but after spending 540 dollars I couldn't get it out of my head, i guess ill just stick with the order and hope for the best
    Treat your new 300 AND Dock with care (like I assume you would anyway) and you will be glad you have the Dock. Besides it's functionality with the ports for additional memory and extra battery keeping the tablet charged even longer, it also protects the tablet screen when closed. You'll be glad you got the pair.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    4 times
    Take out insurance as well may help you sleep better

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    10 times
    My 300 screen cracked in the right hand corner after 6 WEEKS. It was insured and the Insurance co are now reviewing my claim.
    On inspection there are marks at the base of the crack which align exactly with the metal tang that holds the screen to the Dock. I would say that there is a movement there and this caused the screen to crack. It could have been caused by the fact that I open the 300 ( screen attached to the Dock ) with my right hand, the screen being plastic may have caused it to flex and the twisting motion made the Tang put pressure on the glass and crack it. JUST BE CAREFUL OPENING IT, I would suggest opening it at the middle rather than the side. But that is just my opinion and you should do whatver you feel is correct. When, and if, I get my 300 back I will not be putting it anywhere near the Dock unless I am travelling.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by epiccheese View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I just ordered the beautiful white TF300 bundle online and was super excited, but then started seeing all the posts and reviews complaining about cracked screens when used with the official dock. I will be heading for college after summer so I was planning on keeping the dock on most of the time, so this issue is killing my piece of mind . I couldnt find a significant amount of posts or complaints... but still, can someone give me some info on the subject? I still have time to cancel the order before it ships out.

Any help appreciated,
    Cheese
    Look, I owned a Prime and own a TF300. I share your concerns to a degree. I hope by writting this I am not going to ofend some posters here?
    I have read on several forum some people having problems with broken or cracked screens. From what I have read some of these have been due to an unknow source (I have no idea how a person breaks a sceen unknowingly?) Being sat on, left on the floor or given to the kids to 'play with'.

We are talking here about modern technology. We wanted light and thin so we got light and thin, the pay off is strength unless very expensive materials are used then no one would purchase a tablet costing 10 grand (kevlar and sappire glass)

The only thing I have done is purchase a good sceen saver and a proper leather case for my combo. I treat the tablet like any piece of such equipment should be treated and that is with care and respect. More than that I cannot suggest.

No tablet or mobile phone will tolerate dropping, being sat on or bashed by kids! NON. I think if we look after it the TF300T should be as reliable as any other tablet? To be honest only time will tell if Asus has yet again dropped the ball with another transformer with a design fault that we pay for? I sincerely hope all goes well for us. I will write this, this will be my last purchase with Asus IF there is a problem with my tablet.

Lets just treat them with respect and see what happens. Take heart every tablet on the market has some problems and build issues. perfection is not a given entity with technology.

On a much more positive note, the TF300 is one hell of a tablet when we consider its specification and price....

Ryland

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    10 times
    ryland................................up until a week ago I was one of the people, very much like yourself, that raised an eyebrow when people said they had done nothing to make their 300 glass crack......I was a serious doubter..................BUT NOW IT HAS HAPPENED TO ME.!!! Nothing touched, banged, dropped, sat on etc etc and "bingo" there was the crack. There is "something" causing the screens to crack...I suspect the TANG I mentioned and the fact that the 300 flexes.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOWDROP252 View Post
    There is "something" causing the screens to crack
    Could that `something` be when It`s opened from the closed position when conected to the dock? ... for example, if it was quite stiff to open up to the viewing position, it could put quite a bit of pressure on the bottom of the screen causing it to crack in some cases.
    "Everyone in favour of Telekinesis ... raise my right hand"

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300
    Liked
    10 times
    YES Caldera that is EXACTLY what is happening. Take a look at the Dock with the Screen removed and you will see 2 Tangs. I think these are causing the cracking. The 300 I have is very stiff to open when it is attached to the Dock and i am right handed, therefore i feel the screen is twisting as it is Plastic and this puts pressure on this Tang which then pushes aginst the screen and "CRACK"..away it goes. Therefore when people say "it wasn't cracked when I put it away" are not lying...I think it happens when the 300 is opened...I am convinced this is what happened to me.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads