Thread: Worried about probability of cracked screen with dock

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2811 times
    If I recall reading about it, it was in interference with a piece of the dock when opening an closing. I saw a few Prime users with the same issue, but compared to the user base, it is a small percentage.

Manufacturing tolerance/differences from one dock to the next is what is causing it IMO.

I personally do not think it is anything to not get the dock over.
    ryland likes this.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    If I recall reading about it, it was in interference with a piece of the dock when opening an closing. I saw a few Prime users with the same issue, but compared to the user base, it is a small percentage.

Manufacturing tolerance/differences from one dock to the next is what is causing it IMO.

I personally do not think it is anything to not get the dock over.
    Do you think I should get the best buy protection thing just in case that the glass cracks? It cost $200 to replace the glass

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    3 times
    The way I see it the dock has probably also helped a number of screens not cracking too.... yet nobody can do research on that. It would be interesting to see how many screens have cracked that might have been saved had they had a keyboard dock in place and covering the screen (i.e. inside a bag when somebody bangs it by accident; or something dropping on the screen when it might have been closed).

I personally love the added functionality of the dock, and I feel much happier putting it in my bag on my way to work knowing that the keyboard dock is protecting the screen incase of any minor knock.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    3 times
    I think those having issues when opening are more likely to have it happen to them early on (and therefore more likely for them to get annoyed with the whole Asus experience). The reason for that is that the hinge itself is very stiff out of the box, but it becomes less stiff with use. I always open mine by gasping both the dock and the tablet in the middle (opposite to where the hinge is) and opening it gently. When I open it these days it is far less effort to when I first got it, and I do not foresee me cracking the screen by opening it. However, I could see somebody maybe causing the screen to crack if say they tried to open only from a corner and pulled too hard when it was brand new. Again I don't think it would happen to everybody but glass is after all technically a liquid and there is always potential for weakness, especially under too much force.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2273 times
    Here's my view...

Broadly speaking, I agree with Frederuco. If you are wanting the tf300 because of its dock, then get them together. BUT get them from a retailer with a great returns policy.

The facts speak for themselves. Every tablet launched by Asus has had issues. This includes some very worrying build quality issues on the tf300. HOWEVER, 90% of the tablets/combos sold are probably fine. You just don't want to be one who gets one with a problem.

If the dock is not your reason for getting a tf300, then remember it is the dock that gives the tf range its excellent status in reviews, broadly speaking. Other tablets have other points in their favour, be it Motorola, Lenovo, Toshiba, Acer or Samsung, for example. (Who give a 2 year manufacturer warranty on their tablets)

Bottom line - its your choice, but Asus are almost 100% certain to deny that cracked glass is anything other than user abuse. Even if it's not.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by malteserinhk View Post
    The reason for that is that the hinge itself is very stiff out of the box, but it becomes less stiff with use. I always open mine by gasping both the dock and the tablet in the middle (opposite to where the hinge is) and opening it gently.
    Good advice!
    "Everyone in favour of Telekinesis ... raise my right hand"

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    4 times
    I have had my TF300 dock for only a couple of weeks and the hinge has already reached the point where it opens with very little resistance. So I am not paranoid about the glass breaking at all. I am typing this post on my TF300 with the keyboard dock, and I am so glad I got it. Makes using the TF300 a whole lot more easier and interesting.
    Last edited by razorracer83; 07-17-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Here's my view...

Broadly speaking, I agree with Frederuco. If you are wanting the tf300 because of its dock, then get them together. BUT get them from a retailer with a great returns policy.

The facts speak for themselves. Every tablet launched by Asus has had issues. This includes some very worrying build quality issues on the tf300. HOWEVER, 90% of the tablets/combos sold are probably fine. You just don't want to be one who gets one with a problem.

If the dock is not your reason for getting a tf300, then remember it is the dock that gives the tf range its excellent status in reviews, broadly speaking. Other tablets have other points in their favour, be it Motorola, Lenovo, Toshiba, Acer or Samsung, for example. (Who give a 2 year manufacturer warranty on their tablets)

Bottom line - its your choice, but Asus are almost 100% certain to deny that cracked glass is anything other than user abuse. Even if it's not.
    What Canadian retailer would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by malteserinhk View Post
    I think those having issues when opening are more likely to have it happen to them early on (and therefore more likely for them to get annoyed with the whole Asus experience). The reason for that is that the hinge itself is very stiff out of the box, but it becomes less stiff with use. I always open mine by gasping both the dock and the tablet in the middle (opposite to where the hinge is) and opening it gently. When I open it these days it is far less effort to when I first got it, and I do not foresee me cracking the screen by opening it. However, I could see somebody maybe causing the screen to crack if say they tried to open only from a corner and pulled too hard when it was brand new. Again I don't think it would happen to everybody but glass is after all technically a liquid and there is always potential for weakness, especially under too much force.
    Thanks for the advice but I can't seem to picture it in my head . Can you draw a picture please? Thanks!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times
    I just recently purchased my TF300T with the dock and notice it is stiff upon opening. I have been handling it with great care and hope this doesn't become a issue. I have also protected my equipment and treated it like the last device on earth ever made. With care and delicacy.

I will heed the warnings and examples by opening in the middle. At the last few days, it has been opened on it's sides... Couldn't figure agood way to open it..

Dave

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LulzCakes View Post
    Thanks for the advice but I can't seem to picture it in my head . Can you draw a picture please? Thanks!
    Haha does this help
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LulzCakes likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Ads